Brandon 'The Truth' Vera Vs Jon 'Bones' Jones At UFC Fight Night 21, March 31, Denver, Colorado

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Brandon 'The Truth' Vera Vs Jon 'Bones' Jones At UFC Fight Night 21, March 31, Denver, Colorado
MMAcca
12/16/09 3:46:44AM
An ankle injury has forced recent UFC addition Antonio Rogerio Nogueira out of a planned bout with fellow light heavyweight Brandon Vera (11-4 MMA, 7-4 UFC) on Feb. 6 at UFC 109.

While the latest bout cancellation in the UFC – which was first reported by Sherdog.com – may cause many fans to groan, the potential replacement contest may result in the complete opposite.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the organization that the UFC is targeting Vera for a potential headlining contest against Jon Jones (9-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) at an as-yet-unannounced UFC Fight Night 21 event on March 31 in Denver, Colo.

LINK
cloud301336
12/16/09 6:03:24AM
HOLY S***, ITS ON!!!!
RyanC
12/16/09 6:48:21AM
I can't wait for this one. I'm expecting Bones to take out his frustrations on Brandon Vera.
jocka
12/16/09 7:05:21AM
Now this will be a great test for Bones can't wait for this one.
emfleek
12/16/09 8:28:36AM
Awesome. I've never been a fan of Vera. I'd like to see Jones win this one convincingly.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
12/16/09 9:04:50AM
I wonder why they dont just have Jones fill in on the 6th? I guess this means maia/miller to the main card
CCPRIDE99
12/16/09 9:36:00AM
If bones can take out Vera there's no doubt he's legit
Boo_Radley21
12/16/09 10:28:06AM
Awesome fight, I gotta say I think Bones is gonna take this fight and finish Vera off.

He beat the hell out of Hammil, and I would pick Hammil in a fight over Vera any day.
higdon10
12/16/09 10:29:57AM
This matchup is badass
RNstanger
12/16/09 11:45:29AM
I agree. This is a fight I want to see.
D0wnUnd6e6r
12/16/09 11:47:43AM
don't have a single doubt that bones can take this one
roadking95th
12/16/09 12:02:51PM
While I am excited by this fight, I believe Lil' Nog to be a better fighter. I guess we will see how legit Jones is. Hopefully this goes to the ground, if for no other reason than to see how Jones does there.
karn501
12/16/09 12:03:36PM
lol sorry vera bones is going to break you
SpiderSilva
12/16/09 12:03:59PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh man I am soooooooo there front row BABY!

if its in denver
xSiCaRx
12/16/09 12:58:16PM
Jones will suplex Vera until he dies. Just that simple.
roadking95th
12/16/09 1:22:58PM

Posted by xSiCaRx

Don't forget Vera trained at the US olympic training center for Greco, so I don't believe Jones will be just tossing him around. In fact, Vera has the better Greco.

Before someone brings up Hamill, I will say this. I believe that Jones' Folkstyle to at least be even with Hamill's. However, Jones has better Greco, whereas Hamill does Freestyle, and I believe Greco along with Folkstyle to be the much better combo.
bjj1605
12/16/09 1:28:21PM
And this could be the hardest pick I've had to make in a long long time
DaBeatdown
12/16/09 2:03:22PM
Sooooo many Jones nuthuggers, Vera will bring him/you back down to earth
bjj1605
12/16/09 3:12:50PM

Posted by DaBeatdown

I don't hug anyone's nuts and the only one coming down to earth will be Brandon in the form of a Jone Jones slam
BustedKnuckle
12/16/09 6:39:34PM
Bum deal about Little nog but Jones vs Vera is going to just as good a fight and a hell of a time for Jon Jones to tkes his place among the LHW elite. I think he is going to smash Vera.
Jride
12/16/09 6:59:23PM
Jones via 12-6 elbows
BigIP
12/16/09 7:07:27PM
Referee stoppage after Jones separates Vera's head!
IriShame
12/16/09 7:45:19PM
Jones will win this fight but he won't "walk through" Vera as many have suggested.

Vera has VERY good wrestling and he won't get tossed around like some might think. His striking is also more technical than Jones and I think the exchanges on the feet will be very even.

Jones is simply going to outwork Vera. Jones is a machine set on high all the time. If he was a guitar amp he would go to 11.

Vera is a headcase that seems to have trouble getting off in almost every fight I've seen him in recently (Mike Patt excluded). In other words, he's not going to go out there and inforce his will, he's going to fight Jones's fight and that's not a good idea with a guy like Jon Jones.

Bones by UD, but a dominating UD.
CwB
12/16/09 9:00:23PM

Posted by DaBeatdown

I wont call em NutHuggers but damn, there is a lot of Bones support in this thread....

Im surprised everyone thinks this will be so easy for Bones...

This will be a tough pick for me, Jones hasnt shown me anything impressive in the stand-up department and Vera's wrestling isnt perfect but it will be good enough to stuff a few attempts...

I cant wait to see how Jones reacts to someone with good striking meaning someone who will be able to batter Joneses legs...

Great fight though... Jones is a future Contender/Champ, but this fight will show how much time he needs before the Big Time...
Jride
12/16/09 9:29:10PM

Posted by IriShame

Jones will win this fight but he won't "walk through" Vera as many have suggested.

Vera has VERY good wrestling and he won't get tossed around like some might think. His striking is also more technical than Jones and I think the exchanges on the feet will be very even.

People thought Matt Hamill's wrestling would neutralize Jon's. Does Vera have better wrestling than Hamill?

Lol, If so, hes going to definitely need it.
BigIP
12/16/09 9:29:15PM
I think most of us are exaggerating and lifting Jones to the Chuck Norris level after his utter destruction of Hammil. No doubt Vera will be a tough opponent, I'm one of those who thought he clearly beat Randy. Can't wait for this one!
EliasG
12/16/09 11:59:02PM
When you see how tall Jones is, and then you notice that his arms are even longer than they should be for a 6'3" guy...then you start thinking...it's gonna be hard to get to this guy. THen when you notice how fast he is and how he doesn't throw lead strikes conventionally, you think...wow...it's gonna be really hard to time this guy. Then you notice that he has great wrestling and you realize....wow...you shouldn't try to take this to the ground.

He's a tough nut to crack and he's training with guys that can push him further than he has ever been. There is competition and talent in that gym and Jackson knows how to get hte most out of his fighters. There is a LOT to get out of Jones. I've been a fan for a while but that Hammil fight was next level for him. I think Vera will have his hands full.

I also don't get the comment, "I haven't seen much from his stand up." Really? He threw an array of lead shots from push kicks, low leg kicks, head shots with either foot, feints, uppercuts, jabs, spinning elbows. What was he supposed to do a Van Damme flying sidekick? I think the guy is just about as creative as I've ever seen a fighter at this level of fighting outside of MIguel TOrres and that is at a very low weight class. You just don't see this creative from fighters at Lt Heavy striking wise. Will he match up with Vera? Not sure. I thought Vera won the Couture fight too, but Vera isn't fighitng a plodding 40 something year old in this fight who is only looking for a takedown. Jones 'might' take you down, might kick you in the face, might do a lot of things so you become very defensive minded in there.
MMAcca
12/17/09 2:28:25AM

Posted by xSiCaRx

Excellent

(I don't agree that will happen, but great prediction anyway)
Pookie
12/17/09 3:14:40AM
I hope the odds are this scewed in Vera's favor. Jon Jones will pressure and Vera will pull the trigger against someone so overtly aggressive and confident on the feet.
IriShame
12/18/09 1:19:48AM

Posted by Jride

Posted by IriShame

People thought Matt Hamill's wrestling would neutralize Jon's. Does Vera have better wrestling than Hamill?

Lol, If so, hes going to definitely need it.

Hamill's wrestling is different than Vera's. Vera has very good Greco which is what Jones specializes in.

Wrestling is a very broad term. I didn't think Hamill's double leg collegiate style wrestling would neutralize Jones at all but Vera has a style of wrestling that will match up well with Bones. Will he beat him at the wrestling game? No. But his style matches up better than Hamill's did.