BRAD BLACKBURN ADDRESSES CONTROVERSIAL WIN

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » BRAD BLACKBURN ADDRESSES CONTROVERSIAL WIN
emfleek
6/23/09 8:28:14AM
Heading into Saturday’s Ultimate Fighter Season 9 Finale versus Edgar Garcia, “Bad” Brad Blackburn was anticipating a war of attrition, and that’s exactly what he got.

Over the course of three rounds, Blackburn and Garcia battered each other, with Blackburn ultimately coming out on top via a close, controversial split-decision.

Upon return to his home in Washington, Blackburn spoke to MMAWeekly.com about his controversial win and what he feels was the deciding factor in the fight.

STORY
Wolfenstein
6/23/09 3:13:48PM
I pretty much agree with Brad's assessment that he won the first two and Garcia took the third. The boos were probably due to Garcia scoring a knockdown in the final seconds.

I think the difference was Brad's jab. When Garcia was able to press Blackburn he was scoring, but when Brad was able to keep Garcia from pressing, he was winning on the outside. Another factor was just poor strategy by Garcia. Obviously Garcia has great hands, but the bigger disparity was in the ground game where Garcia could have dominated, but he chose to play to Brad's strength.

Either way, I expect big things from Garcia when he gains a little more experience. It's also good to see Brad beginning to turn the corner in his career.