Boxing and MMA is like oil and water

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Boxing and MMA is like oil and water
MMAcca
9/14/08 11:23:18AM
After having to reschedule their second MMA event from October 11th to January of 2009, Affliction promised the MMA public a breathtaking, earth-shattering announcement that would forever alter the course of the fight industry. This announcement would take place at a press conference featuring Ricky Hatton to hype up his next boxing fight. Rumors were abound that Affliction finally inked a partnership with Golden Boy Promotions.

So on Saturday night, we were treated to Hatton no-showing his own press conference (illness was used as the reason for the no-show) and Affliction announcing that they would promotion four fighting events with Golden Boy Promotions in 2009. The headline from this press conference on AP and other news agencies revolved around the fact that Oscar De La Hoya was finally getting into the MMA business.

The real headline, of course, is that Affliction is now abandoning their originaly MMA business model in hopes of promoting hybrid fight shows featuring both boxing and MMA matches.

What a lousy concept.

LINK
jocka
9/14/08 12:11:32PM
I am not a fan ....
bullettdodger
9/14/08 12:26:22PM

Posted by jocka

I am not a fan ....

Indeed, the Continuum of Mixed Martial Arts is not amused...
Mchubb316
9/14/08 12:39:23PM
I don't want to sit through boxing matches on a ppv, when they could be showing mma fights. This will not work, and could prevent me from ordering a ppv with boxing on it.
The-Don
9/14/08 2:24:32PM
I like both sports.. but I perfer MMA... it could be a good idea to help MMA gain respect on the news networks since most cover boxing.. if MMA is there as well.. it will draw attention to the sport.. but I am more concerned for the quality of the card... There are not that many big names in boxing right now.. I can see how it could help.. for a boxing org.. only having to book 4 or 6 names for 2-3 fights as opposed to a bunch of really crappy fights to get to the good ones.. and then a couple real good MMA matches mixed in as well.. It could possibly work.. .they will turn off some fans with this and turn on others... they will need top names on both sides to make this work though...
TimW001
9/14/08 2:28:19PM
This could be good for MMA. It could bring in hardcore Boxing fans and casual MMA fans.

And don't forget why Affliction did this. It's all about money. And if Affliction/Fedor gets big enough to the regular US crowd, we may see a UFC/Affliction crossover.
Solidus
9/14/08 9:06:33PM
If boxing fans havent caught on by now then I'm not sure this is going to open their eyes. Nothing against boxing, but hybridizing an MMA card certainly wont make me want to watch boxing more.
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/14/08 10:29:29PM

Posted by TimW001

This could be good for MMA. It could bring in hardcore Boxing fans and casual MMA fans.

And don't forget why Affliction did this. It's all about money. And if Affliction/Fedor gets big enough to the regular US crowd, we may see a UFC/Affliction crossover.

or even better

the matchup us hardcore fans have truly been waiting for

Fedor vs Mike Tyson
cmill21
9/14/08 10:42:17PM

Posted by Solidus

If boxing fans havent caught on by now then I'm not sure this is going to open their eyes. Nothing against boxing, but hybridizing an MMA card certainly wont make me want to watch boxing more.

Thats not true, I was a huge K-1 and boxing fan and thought MMA was boring and didn't watch it at all until Pride and K-1 started doing their combined shows. Stuff like this has been done before, and I for one think it's innovative and could be a huge boost for boxing and mma.