Boxing vs. MMA

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Boxing vs. MMA
Next Page »
naptown112000
5/22/07 3:47:22PM
If the take the best boxers vs. the best MMA fighters. Who would win. My vote is for boxing. If a guy like Mayweather can learn to sprawl and mount, its over. If Mayweather mounts you he is likely to kill you.
Mastodon2
5/22/07 3:51:20PM
If you are just some boxing fanboy then you best leave now

And this discussion has been done to death over this last month. Im not trying to be a dick, but any regulars here will tell you, this thread has been seen many time recently.
naptown112000
5/22/07 3:55:18PM
Boxing fan boy?,,,Im stating facts son. Dont act like a computer tough guy.
nubby
5/22/07 4:01:51PM

Posted by naptown112000

If you want to talk about facts then you have to consider that if Mayweather were to learn non-boxing skills like spawling, he would no longer be a boxer, he would be an MMA fighter.

There is no way around it Boxing loses to mixed martial arts because mixed martial arts incorporates the good of boxing with the good of all the other martial arts. Deal with it and move on.
naptown112000
5/22/07 4:05:07PM
Im just saying boxer are better fighters. The fact is if MMA fighter were really as talented as boxers then they would box. It comes down to money. What does Liddell make a fight? Under 1 million i would guess. Mayweather made 20 mill off the dela hoya fight.
skiba97
5/22/07 4:10:21PM

Posted by naptown112000

Im just saying boxer are better fighters. The fact is if MMA fighter were really as talented as boxers then they would box. It comes down to money. What does Liddell make a fight? Under 1 million i would guess. Mayweather made 20 mill off the dela hoya fight.

Is there not some boxing forum you could be posting in instead? your just saying what wev all heard, and will never take as right a million times.
nubby
5/22/07 4:11:54PM

Posted by naptown112000

An'd I'm saying you are wrong. Boxers are better boxers, not better fighters. It's just like if you put a boxer in a K-1 fight. He would get destroyed. Why? Because boxers don't train for kicks. If they did train for kicks then they would be kick boxers.

As for paydays... how much did all the undercard fighters get paid?
Mastodon2
5/22/07 4:18:36PM

Posted by naptown112000

No one is being an internet tough guy here, just chill out and try to take it easy buddy
hcazlekker
5/22/07 4:27:07PM
dont feed the trolls
naptown112000
5/22/07 4:30:00PM
I would say the undercards to the mayweather fight are getting alot more than the undercards of the chuck fight. I cant say for sure cuz i dont know but i would assume. I guess im not gonna have no one agree with me on this because you guys are all MMA fans. But just think about it logically. IF the fight began on the ground yes i would give it to the MMA fighters. But as it is , it starts on the feet. Boxers would punish MMA fighters.

What is chuck so great at? Submitting guys or knocking them out? So why couldnt a skilled boxer do the same thing?
pv3Hpv3p
5/22/07 4:31:36PM

Posted by naptown112000

DLH's purse for the actual fight was about 10-12 right? With the other cash coming from "Golden Boy" promoting the event...

Chuck makes let's say about 500,000 a fight, plus a decent cut of the PPV buys... Let's say he gets 2 bucks for every 40$ PPV buy (which I think is on the low side), and the UFC has been averaging over a million PPV buys, probably more for the one's Chuck fights on... That's clearing almost 3 mil a fight (low estimate)... A decent wage... Now if you factor in how long boxing has been dolling out the huge paydays, and how comparitively short time MMA has even been around, let alone the 50000$ to the winner of the original tournaments in the early 90's, I'd say they're doing well... 3 million $'s is nothing to laugh at...

MMA is making it big, because it is a combat sport that people can get into after spending a sig amount of their time on let's say collegiate wrestling or any other sort of competetive grappling, it opens the doors for a lot more people other than those who have been in a boxing gym since they were kids...

To say that a boxer is a better fighter is just ignorant... Even if Floyd were to mount, how often does he train in striking when he's not on his feet? How well can he avoid a sweep? Will he regognize if his arm's being isolated? Can he handle an active guard? Will he understand what a triangle choke is before he wakes up and asks "who won?"

Unfortunately there is much more to fighting, and furthermore, being a 'good' or the 'best' fighter... Than just being able to throw fists...
nubby
5/22/07 4:40:02PM

Posted by naptown112000

I would say the undercards to the mayweather fight are getting alot more than the undercards of the chuck fight. I cant say for sure cuz i dont know but i would assume. I guess im not gonna have no one agree with me on this because you guys are all MMA fans. But just think about it logically. IF the fight began on the ground yes i would give it to the MMA fighters. But as it is , it starts on the feet. Boxers would punish MMA fighters.

What is chuck so great at? Submitting guys or knocking them out? So why couldnt a skilled boxer do the same thing?

Do you even understand the fundamental differences between MMA and Boxing? Chuck is an accomplished wrestler as well as an awesome striker. The reason you think he would lose is because he is not a technical boxer. I hate to be the first one to tell you this but Mayweather wouldn't have the first clue about what to do in a clinch or how to stand up after being knocked down without getting pummeled in the face by multiple whirling punches. You see, in boxing a fighter gets 9 seconds to stand back up before they get attacked again. In mma, if you get knocked down, the opponent is going to jump on you and beat the hell out of you while you're trying to regain your senses. Now lets say that some how Mayweather never got stunned or knocked down by a punch, how is he going to deal with 15 unanswered leg kicks? I'll tell you how, he will fall to the ground with a bad leg and be unable to continue. You see, a pure boxer doesn't have the necessary tools to stand with an MMA fighter. I would be willing to put money on a mediocre figther like Ed Herman beating a Boxer like Mayweather any day of the weak and twice on sundays.

It's just a different sport man... go find a boxing forum, please.
keith-hackney1
5/22/07 4:49:39PM

Posted by naptown112000

Chuck has years of experience in cross training, mayweather has none. If floyd got in there now with chuck, he'd get ko'd quickly, not because chucks a better boxer, but because chuck is a better striker !!!
If mayweather is willing to take off his boxing gloves and train hardcore mma for the next 5 years, he might be able to go a few extra rounds with chuck in the octagon before loosing.
Boxers in mma have a cheek to contest or dispute who is better, mma is the ultimate fighter and always will be, i can wait til you boxing boys get in there and get your bones twisted. Then you might just get it !!!
Stickan
5/22/07 5:02:47PM
Who gave you props?!

Sprawling against seasoned wrestlers/MMA fighters isn't something you learn over a day.
CroCop has trained hard at it for years now and was still taken down against a good grappler like Gonzaga.

Boxers are used to bigger gloves and not used to punches slipping through their guard as frequentely.

Boxers also have the wrong stance for MMA. Anyone with decent leg kicks would kick the shit out of a boxer.

And what about knees, elbows and throws inside the clinch. They will get torn apart.

If a good boxer starts training MMA seriously he might succeed but then he's not a boxer. Then he's an MMA fighter.
JimiMak
5/22/07 5:54:56PM
Why do we keep having these discussions?

In an mma fight an mma guy would win (90%) in a boxing match a boxer would win (90%). If you're talking top level on each. Apples and oranges. Most ppl who make 1/2 mil or more a year usually don't need to worry about money unless they're greedy. If you can support yourself doing what you love, that is most ppl's ideal.... not a billion $'s.
nubby
5/22/07 6:14:24PM

Posted by JimiMak

In an mma fight an mma guy would win (90%) in a boxing match a boxer would win (90%). If you're talking top level on each. Apples and oranges. Most ppl who make 1/2 mil or more a year usually don't need to worry about money unless they're greedy. If you can support yourself doing what you love, that is most ppl's ideal.... not a billion $'s.

72.5% of all percentages are made up on the spot.
pv3Hpv3p
5/22/07 6:17:18PM

Posted by nubby

Posted by JimiMak

60% of the time... It works all the time
nubby
5/22/07 6:21:24PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by nubby

Posted by JimiMak

60% of the time... It works all the time

Smells like big foot's dick in here!
naptown112000
5/22/07 6:31:13PM
First of all Gonzago Ko d Cro Cop. I know this is an MMA site , so i am not gonna convince you guys. And since when was Chuck an accomplished wrestler? Did he wrestler ? YES, Was he accomplished? NO.

You act like MMA is a legit street fight. That it mixes all types of fighting. As long as there are rules its not a street fight. Maybe im the best fish hooker in the world and no one can stop me. Does that mean i can beat Tyson? NO!!! Tyson would knock me out before i got the chance. Thats how it transtitions. Maybe Hoyce Gracie is a great takedown and submission artist , but he would never get the chance.

You cant tell me great wrestlers like Randleman can transition to MMA and a great Boxer cant. Im not saying i dont like MMA. IM A HUGE FAN. But i just feel boxers would make better fighters.
pv3Hpv3p
5/22/07 6:34:46PM

Posted by naptown112000

First of all Gonzago Ko d Cro Cop. I know this is an MMA site , so i am not gonna convince you guys. And since when was Chuck an accomplished wrestler? Did he wrestler ? YES, Was he accomplished? NO.

You act like MMA is a legit street fight. That it mixes all types of fighting. As long as there are rules its not a street fight. Maybe im the best fish hooker in the world and no one can stop me. Does that mean i can beat Tyson? NO!!! Tyson would knock me out before i got the chance. Thats how it transtitions. Maybe Hoyce Gracie is a great takedown and submission artist , but he would never get the chance.

You cant tell me great wrestlers like Randleman can transition to MMA and a great Boxer cant. Im not saying i dont like MMA. IM A HUGE FAN. But i just feel boxers would make better fighters.

I really think what it boils down to, especially in the wrestler vs boxer transition arguement is that IMHO in MMA it's easier to take a fight to the ground than it is to keep it standing.
nubby
5/22/07 7:09:06PM

Posted by naptown112000

No your argument was that Boxers are better fighters. In fact your example of Mayweather (A pure boxre) beating someone like Chuck Liddell exemplifies your position. Now you are back peddling and saying that if a boxer becomes an MMA fighter he will be the better fighter. Except in what boxer has this been true? None. And don't tell me it has to do with the money because non title holders in boxing don't make dick either.

Now, I'm glad your feeling about boxers making the best fighters is your sole rebuttal to the plethora of posts contradicting your assertion, but take a second to look at the fighters that are at the top of the weight classes. Nearly all of them are wrestlers that got good at striking. However, none of them are boxers that got good at MMA. Arguably the best striker of the bunch, Anderson Silva, got his striking abilities from training in Muy Thai. Want to jump over to Pride? Ok look at Dan Henderson, again another wrestler who got good at striking. What about the most dominant heavy weight in the world... a sambo champion by the name of Fedor Emilianenko. He fought and beat a fighter who many believed to be the best striker in the world, Mirko Filipovic. You're just wrong dude.
mkiv9secsupra
5/22/07 11:47:09PM

Posted by naptown112000

Liddell could have been an accomplished wrestler but you cant make money wrestling plus he was better at fighting so he followed the money. And wasnt Vitor Belfort a boxer? Yes. And didnt chuck beat him? Yes.

so tyson can beat fedor?....hmmmm.....im not sure if i agree with that......wait no i dont....

randleman transitioned good but he probly will never hold a PRIDE/UFC title again.

so do you have any reason to believe boxing is better than MMA other than your opinion?
shinobi
5/23/07 12:44:46AM
if boxers were truly better fighters why is it that the best pfp fighters, and probably 80% of champions, are all wrestlers or jiu jitsu guys? answer that. the gracies had it right, most fights end up in the ground at some point, who's gonna win there? also, royce gracie did beat boxers in the early days, so yeah he did get the chance dumbass.
Ultimate_fighter
5/23/07 12:59:25AM
chuck liddell can crush any boxer thats right any boxer for sure. MMA is training for standp and ground.... Boxing? just standup.... MMA kills boxing just face it!!!!!!!!
Ultimate_fighter
5/23/07 1:01:11AM
Justin McCully fought a kickboxer, and killed him.. .a kickboxer! They strike with hands and legs,... boxing just hands... McCully took him down and gnp the whole fight! Whats that tell ya?!?
naptown112000
5/23/07 8:40:32AM
You guys act like your opinions are Gold. That its the truth. Name one legit good boxer that has lost to an MMA guy. NONE,,,amatuer boxers have lost. Thats boxers who couldnt make the big time. Until it happens, its an opinion like mine. Thats it.

And Kermit Cintron is wanting to come over and fight. Why is Dana White ducking signing that guy to a fight?
skiba97
5/23/07 8:48:02AM
C'mon man, after mayweather completly ducked sherk after weeks and weeks of shit talk, how can you honestly sit around talking about dana not putting up? The only reason no legit boxing contenders never been beat by an mma guy is becouse once it comes down to it none of them have got the balls to put pen to paper. And thats just a stupid point anyways, what legit mma contenders been beat off a boxer? Boxers can all talk shit in the press and what have you, but i just hope that some day a match can be made to shut guys like you up.
naptown112000
5/23/07 8:55:49AM
Once a match is made, a legit match. Maybe some of you will show your f#cking respect. Maybe you guys have swayed me. Yeah your right, Boxers are scrubs. Im not knocking MMA. There are some very good fighters. And i think the skill will only continue to grow.
But, fellaz, boxing is a pure sport. The focus on punching. Its so simple it becomes extremely complex, like chess.,,

Either way im done,,keep bashing boxing, see how far it gets you
skiba97
5/23/07 9:05:54AM
Dude, look through this site, none of us have started threads just to bash boxing. I personally like boxing, not quite as much as mma, but i like it all the same. I just think people are sick of hearing how much more talented boxers are and how their a differant class of fighter when its not really true, in our opinions at least. I guess we'l just have to wait for a boxer to actaully come across and see what happens, but until then everytime sombody starts a post saying boxing is better theres going to be a few people who will argue till the death with you about it, but at the end of the day this is an mma site, so did u expect anything differant?
Ultimate_fighter
5/23/07 11:25:59AM
Pages: [1] 2