Boxing's David Haye Calls James Toney "Delusional" for Taking UFC Fight With Randy Couture

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Boxing's David Haye Calls James Toney "Delusional" for Taking UFC Fight With Randy Couture
emfleek
6/30/10 3:02:53PM
"Six months of training isn’t going to be enough," Haye said. "As a UFC fan, I know two or three years wouldn’t be enough. How many times has Toney sprawled in his life? 500? How many leg kicks has he taken in his life? 300? How many Kimura attempts has he defended? 140? Even if he’s done double that amount, he wouldn’t have nearly the experience needed to win a UFC fight."

LINK
machodog76
6/30/10 3:28:19PM
No way a boxer with a good grasp of MMA, and he didn't have one bad thing to say about the sport! I'm impressed.
babalu46
6/30/10 3:44:35PM
Well Haye has actually trained a little in MMA and has admitted in the past he respects the fighters and the sport.
Giant_Ochai
6/30/10 5:48:32PM
Haye should quit ducking the Klitschkos.
jjeans
6/30/10 6:06:47PM

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Is that not fighter bashing? Or does it not count when there boxers?
SmileR
6/30/10 6:09:49PM

Posted by Giant_Ochai

You know it was Klitschko who refused to resign after the first fight fell through and they are sorting out a new fight right now.
tallica62
6/30/10 6:30:43PM
nice to hear a boxer actually correct about mma
bjj1605
6/30/10 6:32:00PM
This guy is spot on, I liked the way Joe Rogan said it better, but the point is still there. There's no way James Toney can prepare in even a few years to try and prevent Randy from doing what he's done for most of his life.
Sir_Karl
7/1/10 12:09:46AM
How delusional will Toney be if he puts Randy's lights out? Obviously Toney can't grapple and roll with Couture...he will be done quick if he does. The problem for Randy is that he has to engage Toney to get him down...that is where Toney's opportunity lies. All it takes is one punch. Toney is a high level, super experienced pro boxer...he knows how to hit. His power is far above 99% of the MMA fighters out there. He will hit Couture like Couture has never been hit. The outcome hinges on weather Randy gets hit or not.
lll-lll
7/1/10 2:21:13AM
How does being a pro boxer make him have more punching power than 99% of MMA fighters out there? Punching power is something people are born with, nt taught. Technique can improve it some, but boxing coaches havent taught him some SECRET POWER TECHNIQUES. Im sure Toney's power is better than his KO record suggests, but there are tons of boxers with better punching power than him. I still wouldnt consider him in the top half of power punchers in his own sport. If he hit that hard he would use it more. Its not like he has a ton of power, but decides to use skill.
BigBadAl
7/1/10 8:31:13AM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by Giant_Ochai

You know it was Klitschko who refused to resign after the first fight fell through and they are sorting out a new fight right now.

Of course he knew that. He must have inside knowledge to make such a claim
prozacnation1978
7/1/10 9:38:50AM
Bad night for toney
machodog76
7/1/10 12:20:13PM

Posted by lll-lll

How does being a pro boxer make him have more punching power than 99% of MMA fighters out there? Punching power is something people are born with, nt taught. Technique can improve it some, but boxing coaches havent taught him some SECRET POWER TECHNIQUES. Im sure Toney's power is better than his KO record suggests, but there are tons of boxers with better punching power than him. I still wouldnt consider him in the top half of power punchers in his own sport. If he hit that hard he would use it more. Its not like he has a ton of power, but decides to use skill.

I've always thought it was technique that gives power more than strength. Look at Brock he's a beast but I think Vitor has better technique and hits with more power even though Brock could most likely bench press more.
PABLOMAFIOSO
7/1/10 12:30:15PM
I have heard that Haye wants to try his hand at MMA after he achieves what he wants in boxing. As someone mentioned before he has trained MMA for the past few years (not sure about the intensity of it). I would like to see David Haye at LHW in the near future, he has fought at cruiserweight (200lbs.) in the ring but said he really struggled to make weight.

Maybe/hopefully he could make 205
lll-lll
7/1/10 6:38:20PM

Posted by machodog76

Posted by lll-lll

I've always thought it was technique that gives power more than strength. Look at Brock he's a beast but I think Vitor has better technique and hits with more power even though Brock could most likely bench press more.

If that were the case the most technical boxers would be the hardest hitters, and that is usually the opposite case.
machodog76
7/1/10 7:01:02PM
I still think power is generated by planting your feet, rotating your body and turning your fist over. All things I consider technique. Of course having natural power to go with that doesn't hurt, and I agree that you can't teach strength but a guy who just wings his arms, no matter how much power he has naturaly is no match for a trained striker.
MattHughesRules
7/2/10 2:01:09PM
This was a very good interview with David Haye. I respect boxers a lot. I would consider myself a more"pure" mma fan but their skill can't be denied. The simple fact of the matter is that Toney has little to no chance of beating Couture in the octagon and the same would hold true the other way around in a boxing match. They are totally different sports and I think Toney is going to find that out the hard way.

I bet Toney is on his back inside a minute and it would not shock me if Couture took his time on the ground to prove a point (ie. his spanking of Tito Ortiz). Then he will pound him out or force the tap before the end of the first.

In mma you can be a master of one discipline but you need to be well rounded to be a success. Toney is clearly a great boxer....but he has no support skills and is WAY out of his league in an mma debut with Couture.
quicksand381
8/24/10 6:35:17PM
it is scientifically proven that a pro boxer has the hardest hits. just like it is scientifically proven that a muay thai pro has knee strikes so powerful that its like a car hitting at 30 mph. the key for toney in this fight is footwork utilizing his angles and his precision punching, he has to not stand in front of randy cuz randy will clinch or take him down. all randy has to do is get the clinch and takedowns to tire toney out. if u ever fought or trained in your life then u know that ground conditioning is different from stand up conditioning. its that gonna be a problem for toney, is he really conditioned enough to face all that punishment. the question for randy is if he gets hit a lot with precised power punches will he still be on his game or will it be lights out?