Former Boxing Champ Rahman Headed to MMA

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Former Boxing Champ Rahman Headed to MMA
POLL: Who would win an MMA bout between Kimbo and Hasim Rahman?
Kimbo 14% (3)
Rahman 86% (19)
mentalcase
2/26/09 7:41:34AM
Former boxing heavyweight champion Hasim Rahman is coming to MMA sometime this year, according to the fighter’s agent.

Rahman, who knocked out Lennox Lewis in 2001 to win the linear heavyweight title, has his heart set on a mixed marital arts career, said Sondro Gelke, who represents him. Now living in Las Vegas, Rahman, 45-7 (36 KO), is coming off a one-sided, Dec. 13 seventh-round stoppage at the hands of IBF/WBO champ Wladimir Klitschko.
link
tberg420
2/26/09 10:30:40AM
Just another guy trying to cash in on the MMA express. Rahman scored a flash KO victory over Lewis and then got dominated in the re-match. I really have no interest in watching a guy fight, who doesn't care about the sport at all.
Focker101
2/26/09 10:58:15AM

Posted by tberg420

Just another guy trying to cash in on the MMA express. Rahman scored a flash KO victory over Lewis and then got dominated in the re-match. I really have no interest in watching a guy fight, who doesn't care about the sport at all.

That's what they said about Lesnar !!
I am actually interested to see how serious he will take it ..
it will depend on what kind of camp he surrounds himself with
tberg420
2/26/09 11:53:43AM

Posted by Focker101

Posted by tberg420

I didn't hear anyone saying that about Lesnar. Also figure in that Brock was a legit name in Pro Wrestling and didn't need MMA. Rahman is a washed up boxer who is trying to make a dollar. Entering MMA trying to make money makes Rahman no better then the Shaw family.
mentalcase
2/26/09 12:06:32PM

Posted by tberg420

Posted by Focker101

Posted by tberg420

I didn't hear anyone saying that about Lesnar. Also figure in that Brock was a legit name in Pro Wrestling and didn't need MMA. Rahman is a washed up boxer who is trying to make a dollar. Entering MMA trying to make money makes Rahman no better then the Shaw family.

so its a bad thing that he doing it because he want to make money?

their only 2 reasons why people do thing

1. cause they like to
2. cause they want money
EliasG
2/26/09 12:19:36PM
A young tyson would have been amazing in MMA. He was so athletic. RJJ could have done it too and Manny Pacquiou could.
Focker101
2/26/09 12:25:50PM

Posted by mentalcase

Posted by tberg420

Posted by Focker101

Posted by tberg420

so its a bad thing that he doing it because he want to make money?

their only 2 reasons why people do thing

1. cause they like to
2. cause they want money

Agreed
Rahman started off as a drug dealer enforcer and began boxing in the 20's
so I would think he enjoy's fighting as well, he is not going to beat Klitschko
so why not this avenue
tberg420
2/26/09 12:49:02PM
Enjoy your freak fights then.
MMAcca
2/26/09 1:06:33PM
Rahman Vs Sapp.

K-1's NYE show 2009
Sam_Rothstein
2/27/09 3:05:25AM
Im not sure why he is joining mma. I mean 36 is a horrible time to just start learning a ground game. I would like to see him join start training seriously though and will be watching as UFC tries to line up a fight with him and the best wrestler they have lol.

As for the Poll. Rahman would beat the breaks off of Kimbo Slice. He stopped training with Bas Rutten. Who knows what hes been doing for the last 6 months?
cmill21
2/27/09 3:20:14AM
Why is it a bad thing? He'll be far and away the best boxer in MMA, and I'd wager that he would destroy anyone in an exchange. I mean the guy did KO Lewis with much bigger gloves, imagin the hurting he could lay on some of the HW's. And since when is he washed up? His last fight was for the damn title lol.
Styles
3/17/09 3:34:11PM
Why do people have to jump right on to the hate bus when something liek this happens? Give the guy a shot and lets see what he can do. There are alot of MMa fighters going to boxing and vice versa. Should be interesting at the least. I am not fond of the guy but he does have talent, maybe not great in the boxing world but he would be one of the best stand-up guys in MMA. I am sure he isn't doign it for the money.... everyone knows boxers make more money hands down.
bls1919
3/17/09 5:15:52PM
Its tough to break out of boxing into MMa IMO. I dont think a lot of guys know how much of the sprot revolves around wrestling and submissions. I mean even in the clinch i think Rahman would be toast. Knees hit the body a lot harder than punches.
gnl68
6/14/09 12:57:28AM
Man to think what he could do yes with just his hands.If Ray Mercer can knock out Sylvia,then ya have to think that Rahman will surly get a few guys on the way up or that are on their way down ,who will fight a big name guy like Rahman just for the publicity and of course the money.