How long will boxing last? Or is it already gone?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » How long will boxing last? Or is it already gone?
POLL: How do you see the future of Boxing vs. MMA
Boxing will comeback stronger than MMA. 0% (0)
Boxing will comeback and equal MMA popularity. 13% (4)
Boxing will just stay as small as it is now if not get smaller. 87% (26)
Dirk_Diggler
7/3/07 1:00:32PM
As I was growing up boxing was and had been a big deal. Everyone knew pretty much at least the top 5 contenders in each weight class. Looked foward to watching the upcoming fights on regular tv and reading about the ones that weren't (before pay-per-view). Now it's gone the opposite route. I couldn't tell you but a handful of boxers let alone know their current situation and status. We started off watching them on regular tv then we started paying for the pay-per-views. With MMA first we started buying the pay-per-views and now it's all over the tube for free (excluding normal cable costs of course).
I think boxing will become (or has it already) a whisper to everyone like mma use to be. Move over Knockout Kings by EA Sports and bring in Submission Kings 08!
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2
InkedUp
7/3/07 2:00:25PM
I agree. Its going to be a complete switch in the rankings of combat sports. And trust me, if any game developer is smart, they are already trying to sign a deal with UFC to make a game.
justinlawson19862005
7/3/07 2:24:38PM
Man boxing is still popular with my grandpa lol but the game has evulutionized and boxing i think is a think of the past already !
Violentcuv
7/3/07 2:42:22PM
I dont think boxing is going to completely go away.

Boxing is declining, and will continue to decline over the next few decades.

MMA will be the choosen sport of combat, but you will still have boxing hanging around producing little shows, with few stars.

The 5-14 year olds now who "are considering" taking up a combat sport will see MMA is more exciting and probably start there.
grappler0000
7/3/07 5:54:11PM

Posted by InkedUp

I agree. Its going to be a complete switch in the rankings of combat sports. And trust me, if any game developer is smart, they are already trying to sign a deal with UFC to make a game.

Already been signed...and I believe it's in the works.
Ultimate_fighter
7/3/07 8:23:58PM

Posted by Violentcuv

I dont think boxing is going to completely go away.

Boxing is declining, and will continue to decline over the next few decades.

MMA will be the choosen sport of combat, but you will still have boxing hanging around producing little shows, with few stars.

The 5-14 year olds now who "are considering" taking up a combat sport will see MMA is more exciting and probably start there.

Pretty much said it all..
Swiftshark
7/4/07 2:09:00AM
Boxing will not only last, but it will continue to ebb and flow in popularity as it has since the days of Jack Johnson. MMA will continue to enamour the people and before you know it, we'll be watching weapon-wielding battles to the death just like the Romans did.

By then the posts will be like "OMG! Did you see (Combatant 1) decap (Combatant 2) with the battle ax? I think Herb Dean stood them up too soon.

FeelTheJoy
7/4/07 6:37:51AM

Posted by Swiftshark

Boxing will not only last, but it will continue to ebb and flow in popularity as it has since the days of Jack Johnson. MMA will continue to enamour the people and before you know it, we'll be watching weapon-wielding battles to the death just like the Romans did.

By then the posts will be like "OMG! Did you see (Combatant 1) decap (Combatant 2) with the battle ax? I think Herb Dean stood them up too soon.

your not serious. are you?

boxing is so boring. i hate it when they hug. when that happens in mma they get tossed on the ground and recieve an elbow to the face. and boxing is sooooo boring that they actually count how many punches were thrown and landed. wow. sry if i make boxing fans mad but boxing just doesnt do it for me. i like to see kicks to the face and people doing flying armbars. not people jabbing and huggin it out for a long ass time. and boxing deserves what its getting. all these rediculous pay per views. and not making the right fight decisions.
nate22
7/4/07 9:40:47AM
I would have no complaints watching and paying for a fight card with MMA, kickboxing and boxing match ups combined. why the duck not?

I think this will probably happen at some point and if the best can be gathered from each disciplines we will be in for one hell of a card.
Swiftshark
7/4/07 3:54:13PM

Posted by FeelTheJoy

boxing is so boring. i hate it when they hug. when that happens in mma they get tossed on the ground and recieve an elbow to the face. and boxing is sooooo boring that they actually count how many punches were thrown and landed. wow. sry if i make boxing fans mad but boxing just doesnt do it for me. i like to see kicks to the face and people doing flying armbars. not people jabbing and huggin it out for a long ass time. and boxing deserves what its getting. all these rediculous pay per views. and not making the right fight decisions.

You obviously are biased in nature and haven't watched truly great boxing if you are going to come with lame reasonings like those your just posted. Don't base everything on Girly Hoya and Pitter Patter Mayweather. Boxing is a science just like MMA is. Go watch some real fights like the Gatti/Ward trilogy or Barrera/Morales I before you ass up yourself like that.

I'm sure you would be clinching(or hugging as you so eloquently put it) for dear life too if you had to go against Miguel Cotto for a couple of rounds.
StorminYourman
7/4/07 4:40:09PM
Boxing does have the better video games.Hands down and NO contest.MMA really needs to step up its video game game in order to hang with all the big boys.
Boxing,baseball,football,basketball,hockey,hell even volleyball all have cool games. MMA needs one.The past games have been crap so far!
FeelTheJoy
7/4/07 10:54:05PM

Posted by Swiftshark

Posted by FeelTheJoy

You obviously are biased in nature and haven't watched truly great boxing if you are going to come with lame reasonings like those your just posted. Don't base everything on Girly Hoya and Pitter Patter Mayweather. Boxing is a science just like MMA is. Go watch some real fights like the Gatti/Ward trilogy or Barrera/Morales I before you ass up yourself like that.

I'm sure you would be clinching(or hugging as you so eloquently put it) for dear life too if you had to go against Miguel Cotto for a couple of rounds.

i wouldnt be clinching. i would just take a gun and shoot him in the face cuz he is a boxer.

he would be clinching to me cuz im so good looking.

boxing may be a science but not as good as mma.if you think so then wow. your just like an autistic kid. and the fights you named are not that many. mma has soooooo many more great fights and knockout and they arent from any real famous fighters.you cant deny it. and i really dont think that it is anywhere near as entertaining as mma.
poundforpound
7/5/07 8:47:45AM
wow, you are brilliant. Boxing has been around for a lot longer than mma. Ali, Frasier, Foreman, Tyson(early bulldog tyson), Whitaker, Leonard, Spinks, on and on and on. Those were great fighters that had som knock down drag out fights. There is no submission...it's give it all you got until you can't stand anymore 15 round brawls that start out with each fighter sizing up the other until he feels the other guy's power. Know what you're talking about before you degrade a sport that has been here long before you were running down your daddy's leg. rip diego
Violentcuv
7/5/07 12:31:56PM

Posted by poundforpound

wow, you are brilliant. Boxing has been around for a lot longer than mma. Ali, Frasier, Foreman, Tyson(early bulldog tyson), Whitaker, Leonard, Spinks, on and on and on. Those were great fighters that had som knock down drag out fights. There is no submission...it's give it all you got until you can't stand anymore 15 round brawls that start out with each fighter sizing up the other until he feels the other guy's power. Know what you're talking about before you degrade a sport that has been here long before you were running down your daddy's leg. rip diego

Thats a great argument if the question was "Which sports has been around longer? Boxing or MMA?

I think most fans that follow MMA enjoy watching boxing also, it's just MMA is more exciting, which is why the majority of the people are preferring MMA to boxing these days. I started off following boxing hardcore, but now am more into MMA, but I keep up with boxing a lil bit still.
Swiftshark
7/5/07 11:10:29PM

Posted by FeelTheJoy

i wouldnt be clinching. i would just take a gun and shoot him in the face cuz he is a boxer.

boxing may be a science but not as good as mma.if you think so then wow. your just like an autistic kid. and the fights you named are not that many. mma has soooooo many more great fights and knockout and they arent from any real famous fighters.you cant deny it. and i really dont think that it is anywhere near as entertaining as mma.

Perhaps we can debate this after you hit puberty and mature a little more.

P4P,
Messed up about Chico indeed. He had some great battles. RIP
KYGUY07
7/6/07 12:48:32AM
R.I.P Boxing
FeelTheJoy
7/6/07 2:07:34AM

Posted by Swiftshark

Posted by FeelTheJoy

Perhaps we can debate this after you hit puberty and mature a little more.

P4P,
Messed up about Chico indeed. He had some great battles. RIP

chill out dude. when i said i would shoot him i was obviously joking. im not really being serious on this forum.trying to piss you off and i win.and telling kids to hit puberty is a little childish yourself. thats what kids say to eachother. not adults. grow up dude.grow up.
FeelTheJoy
7/6/07 2:14:47AM

Posted by Violentcuv

Posted by poundforpound

Thats a great argument if the question was "Which sports has been around longer? Boxing or MMA?

I think most fans that follow MMA enjoy watching boxing also, it's just MMA is more exciting, which is why the majority of the people are preferring MMA to boxing these days. I started off following boxing hardcore, but now am more into MMA, but I keep up with boxing a lil bit still.

with this guy.99%

your stupid. read what i type. know what YOUR talking about before you go post something. i didnt say anything about mma being older than boxing.

all i said was i just think that its more technical than boxing.jeezus tap dancing christ!
jamessick
7/6/07 8:51:40AM
Yeah, I used to love boxing (watching it, that is), and while there are occasionally good fights, most of the time it is just painful anymore. Last week on Wednesday Night Fights, Teddy Atlas and the other dude spent the whole main event apologizing for how bad the fight was.

Boxing will probably always be able to put together a couple of interesting fights a year and keep in the public consciousness enough to keep going. But it's definitely in a dry spell right now. What they need is another dominant heavyweight like Tyson. But even then, how would a fighter prove dominance? By beating Holyfield and the one-armed Klitschko? Briggs? The heavyweights are so depleted that there isn't even anyone to dominate.

But if boxing does manage a comeback I will gladly watch both MMA and boxing.
poundforpound
7/6/07 9:26:18AM
i'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say you are 15? you grew up watching mma obviously.....so you are a fan, great. MMA fighters are far superior to boxers in a sense that most of them(seen some real fat lazy idoits in mma, too) are very skilled fighters. but keep in mind, there are guys in mma that use boxing as their primary fighting style. Look at butterbean....used to be a brawler boxer, now forcing tapouts. Kimbo is a boxer, just choked out mercer, former boxer.(call it what you will...jab jab right hook is boxing.)you can't totally discredit boxing, because without it, alot of your mma fights would be completely one sided anhialations of an opponent. i am obviosly a boxing fan before an mma fan, not trying to hide it, but I give credit where it's due, maybe you shouldn't be so one sided. I wasn't trying to argue how long boxing has been around, just wanted to argue that was and Is still a sport, and I wanted to show the heritage of the sport, because the heritage of mma is here and now. in fifty years, people will be talking about the great Lidell/ Couture and Ortiz/ Shamrock rivalries instead of Ali/Fraser.
poundforpound
7/6/07 9:38:04AM
You are right. Most of the guys who would be boxing are trying to quick-learn some form of martial arts to have a chance in the cage against seasoned mma fighters. It is the new form of saturday night fights. Jim Lampley and Larry Merchant are close to retiring anyway.
poundforpound
7/6/07 9:40:07AM
also, not cool with the autistic jokes. I think the "grow up" came from that remark.
FeelTheJoy
7/6/07 4:01:48PM
yea i admit i was being a little imature with the whole autistic joke. wasnt that mean because my brother is and he is really cool. and iv watched a hell of alot more mma fights than boxing. but everytime i watch boxing the fights arent really that good.im 16 but you got close and i thought about it today and i was like wow i am really one sided. so im gona start watching more boxing. just so i could view it the way you guys do. i guess i just havent seen the right ones yet. but what the hell. i'll give it a go. and does anyone know when the next big fight is?
pv3Hpv3p
7/6/07 6:27:38PM
The rematch between W.Klitchko (sp?sweet jesus???) and Lamon Brewster is on this weekend... But I think it's an HBO production, not sure, but if it is they will reair it for free the weekend after the fight, so I'd suggest saving your money...

Boxing definitely has it's boring moments, but it also has its great ones... Even if you've watched a shit ton of MMA, it has to be hard to say, that it was exciting watching the technicality of Obrien LnPing HH... or Arlovski dancing around Werdum... Some fights just aren't that exciting, but I have to agree that's why I like the sport better, because there is just more options for excitement... That and I've always loved JJ and subs in general...

But there have been some great boxing matches, and while the sport is in a slump of sorts now. I believe it will bounce back in time, and at least equal the popularity of MMA...

As for technicality, there's so much more to get an understanding of in MMA, whereas boxing only poses the single threat (punches)... I think boxing is the more technical of the sports, just because there is so much disection of such a tiny part of the combat sports game, that it just naturally evolved into a more technical sport... Whereas I think that MMA is the more difficult of the two, just because of the sheer amount of shit you have to know... eveything from Muay thai to jits to wrestling (including boxing)... But i guess what sells me on it, is that a striker in MMA wouldn't stand much of a chance against a top teir boxer in a boxing ring

Anyways... Nate22 had a very good point, when will we get to the point where we start mixing combat sports under one banner on the same card? I would see no problems in watching boxing, kickboxing, and MMA on one card.
nate22
7/7/07 9:12:07AM
We havve already seen K1 mix MMA with k1 rules on a fight card, so surely it can't be too long, and espeically if the interest was in fact there, that a org would set up a card that delved into each of the disciplines. Not a bad idea if you can get the right fighters for the night. Increases the target audience somewhat and brings in new fans for each discipline.
zephead
7/7/07 9:38:26AM
If boxing can get the personality's back, i.e Ali, Frazier. Sugar Ray Leonard, Hearns and get the great matches back, Ali vs. Foreman/Frazier and Leonard vs Hearns/Duran. IT'll come back strong.

They need to go after the 20 somethings like MMA does. I'm 41 and was a huge Marvin Hagler fan. After he retired boxing didn't hold me anymore. MMA came along and has held my attention sonce. Boxing doesn't market to the younger crowd who will grow older and continue to follow the sport.