Boxing or UFC?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Boxing or UFC?
unknown00
7/12/09 1:05:15PM
sorry if it's the wrong forum

which is harder? which is more tiring on body? which is more extreme? which is more harmful? overall? Boxing or UFC?
breakdown5
7/12/09 1:08:09PM
I would say that MMA is more physically demanding than boxing, but boxing has proven to be more harmful in the long term IMO. MMA is still young and we really haven't seen a lot of guys totally destroyed by the sport, so its hard to tell.
imanidiot777
7/12/09 1:13:06PM

Posted by breakdown5

I would say that MMA is more physically demanding than boxing, but boxing has proven to be more harmful in the long term IMO. MMA is still young and we really haven't seen a lot of guys totally destroyed by the sport, so its hard to tell.

I agree with this, MMA is definitely more physically demanding and you have to use a lot more widespread skill sets and a lot more muscles than in boxing. As far as the permanent damage goes, so far it seems that repeated hits to the head that don't knock you out cold, as in boxing, is worse for you. But it will be some time before we know for sure.
seanfu
7/12/09 1:30:04PM
Yeah, Boxing is he only contact sport I've really seen where you actually recieve your damage in the competition itself. (I guess Kboxing could count, just more as far as body breakdown vs boxings brain jarring)

In every other combat sport I can think of of the top of my head your body toll is recieved by training for the competition.

And coincidentally MMA seems to be the worst of these.

But watch boxing and there will be entire rounds where the guy's out or badly rocked and eats punches for 3 minutes. But he punches back once or twice so they le the abuse go on.

I mean, watch Gatti Ward or Ali Frazier, and you will watch two fighters age in the ring.

Literally taking mental years off of another person.