mt vs boxing

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » mt vs boxing
lilbadboy
5/7/08 6:11:54PM
im taking a bjj class over the summer and want to know which is better for mma. muay thai or boxing if u had to pick 1. i personally think great hands can beat a person with kicks. what do u think
Pookie
5/7/08 6:18:31PM
Unless your boxing class will teach you how to check a leg kick, id go with Muay Thai.
pv3Hpv3p
5/7/08 6:28:36PM
Depends what you're wanting the training for, IMO... Boxing is kinda limited when it comes to use in MMA... Sure it helps to have hands... But MT will help you more with the kicking aspect of course and also working from the clinch whcih seems to be very important in most MMA bouts... just my 0.02$...
owen1
5/7/08 6:46:31PM
Id definately go for muay thai over boxing for mma.
seanfu
5/7/08 7:16:03PM
Boxing doesn't translate very well and is limited. The defence doesn't work well. Muay Thai over boxing.

Grabbing the plum from inside is one of the most underutilized manuvers in MMA.
lilbadboy
5/7/08 7:54:18PM
well the only place i can train right now in my garage cause im taking the other ma's i have all the bags and have looked up a bunch of stuff on techinque and go to a mma prep class so i get some instruction. still mt? cause i have boxing experience
Jackelope
5/7/08 8:20:58PM
If Paul Taylor vs. Marcus Davis is any indication go with MT beyond a shadow of a doubt. Especially considering Marcus Davis had a lot more in-ring experience than Taylor did.
mkiv9secsupra
5/7/08 10:37:39PM
From an offensive standpoint id say boxing all the way. But with fighters being be able to clinch and throw kicks id say Muay Thai incorporates into MMA better. But if you can learn to throw a few nice leg kicks and learn to check kicks boxing is your number one striking style imo(but im a boxer and slightly bias )
cmill21
5/7/08 11:12:09PM
It's hard to get in and use great hands if a guy continuously teep's you. Further more if you can't use your plant leg because it's been destroyed by leg kicks then your hands are useless. Next if you get inside and your legs not destroyed the guy with good MT will probably get a plum and knee you sensless. Muay Thai is muuuuuch more complete and IMHO a much better striking art then boxing.
jimmypockets
5/8/08 12:59:31AM
Muay Tai to me is a complete striking game. Boxing (while very usefull and devavstating) is not however, If you are a great wrestler I think boxing is better suited for you than Muay Tai. Keeps you grounded. BJJ guys are used to being on their back so when they are taken their from throwing leg kicks it translates better in the end.
fullerene
5/8/08 10:40:06AM
Muay Thai is a more complete art for MMA since it allows a wider variety of attacks and particulalry because it incorporates attacking from the clinch (vs. being separated by a ref in boxing).

But be cautious. In a lot of areas in the U.S. (if that's where you are from) it is hard to find good instructors, frequent classes, good sparring partners and sanctioned matches. Without those things it gets difficult to really become proficient in a style. All of those tend to be much easier to find in boxing in the U.S.

I would recommend a good MT school over any other type of striking training for MMA. But I would recommend a good boxing gym over a poor Muay Thai school.
lilbadboy
5/8/08 11:03:03AM
yeah im training at home so im gunna do boxing. however 1 day a week i will also do mma striking at the basic mma class so im gunna still be taught how to use knees, elbows, kicks, and most of the kids there are black belts and i can gain an advantage with my hands being better cause everywhere else they would destroy me(im a white there 1st 2nd and 3rd dan black belts)
The_Ho_Bag
5/8/08 2:50:33PM
i think boxing is useless in MMA, thats just for me idk what everyone else thinks.

Muay Thai >Boxing any day
pv3Hpv3p
5/8/08 4:02:41PM

Posted by The_Ho_Bag

i think boxing is useless in MMA, thats just for me idk what everyone else thinks.

Muay Thai >Boxing any day

There's some guys that can use boxing pretty well... Like Davis, as mentioned above, and Lytle to an extent... But if you look at a kid like Eddie Alvarez... Who's got great wrestling and an awesome "power boxing" style... it's a pretty solid combo...

I guess after saying all that, if you're looking to getting into MMA, boxing isn't a bad base, but you're going to have to account for kicks and clinchwork at some point
pimpcane_69
5/8/08 5:00:21PM
Muay Thai all the way, I learned some of that back in the day to keep some of my hoes in line
5/8/08 9:43:19PM
As for the two style's in MMA, and how much each encompasses in the striking spectrum, it's kind of like this.....

Boxing-25% of MMA stand up

Muay Thai- 100% of MMA stand up(not includinng clinching)

In MMA, Muay Thai is slightly tweaked so you can aviod take downs and other various things, but it will teach you everything stand-up wise. Also, how you said good hands can beat kicks, i can't agree, look at Chuck vs. Jardine and Alves vs. Lytle.
The-Don
6/18/08 5:51:21PM
Both have thier place... If you able.. train both... Personally I thinkk Muay Thai over all is better... But Boxing has many uses as well... I think you would find though Mauy Thai would be used more...
Pitbull09
6/18/08 9:47:48PM
I don't think this is really a contest. Maybe we could argue kick boxing or MT but jsut boxing.

Boxing will teach you stances you can't use in MMA and all it will really do is teach you how to throw a punch.
MT will teach you the clinch (vital in MMA), knees, kicks, and elbows. It is prob the best stiking style to use in MMA. Look at Anderson Silva and Thiago Alves and try to argue. Even the most basic strikers throw low leg kicks.

BBJ and Muy Thai is the way to go man, that will make you a solid fighter if you are dedicated enough.
NatedawgThaM
6/19/08 3:10:17AM
I'd say boxing unless your getting your Muay Thai training from an MMA class or instructor so they can work it into MMA. Because if you just get Muay Thai from a traditional Muay Thai school, then I'd definitely go boxing all the way. why?

FOOTWORK

Your foot work will be ten times better and in Muay Thai your only trained to come forward. With boxing your learning how to stick and move and you could easily just circle away from your opponents power leg that they kick with and just use your jab to keep the distance. In boxing the object is to hit and the not be hit which is why it's called the sweet science. Muay Thai you just go toe to toe until someone drops. It's fun to watch, but not fun to be apart of. And it's not like you need a professional muay thai expert or a kickboxing champion to know how to check a leg kick. And as long as your always circling like you do in boxing while using the jab for distance, it's harder for opponents to get inside and clinch which means they'd have to be more aggressive which means from their you can counter punch and have them run into your punches eventually dropping them.

Aaronno9
6/19/08 12:37:40PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I'd say boxing unless your getting your Muay Thai training from an MMA class or instructor so they can work it into MMA. Because if you just get Muay Thai from a traditional Muay Thai school, then I'd definitely go boxing all the way. why?

FOOTWORK

I was about to say the same thing. Well, id still choose Muay Thai tbh, but i think boxing is good from a footwork and head movement standpoint. Actually, its probably better for just movement overall. At the end of the day though, your not going to be successful in mma with only one of these skill sets anyways, but id lean about 70/30 towards mauy thai if i had to choose.
Mastodon2
6/19/08 3:58:12PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

FOOTWORK

Your foot work will be ten times better and in Muay Thai your only trained to come forward. With boxing your learning how to stick and move and you could easily just circle away from your opponents power leg that they kick with and just use your jab to keep the distance. In boxing the object is to hit and the not be hit which is why it's called the sweet science. Muay Thai you just go toe to toe until someone drops. It's fun to watch, but not fun to be apart of. And it's not like you need a professional muay thai expert or a kickboxing champion to know how to check a leg kick. And as long as your always circling like you do in boxing while using the jab for distance, it's harder for opponents to get inside and clinch which means they'd have to be more aggressive which means from their you can counter punch and have them run into your punches eventually dropping them.

Who the hell educated you in Muay Thai? I'm sorry but this is one of the most horrendous, misinformed posts I've ever seen on an MMA site.
NatedawgThaM
6/21/08 3:48:22PM
You know I'm not talking about your beloved Kickboxing right? I know their are different types of Muay Thai but the main idea in Muay Thai is to stand in front of your opponent and hit each other until one of you drop. And in MMA your only getting hit with 4 ounce gloves so yeah, good luck doing that and getting out of the 1st round. With boxing it's to hit and then not to be hit. Hit and dodge. You have better foot work in boxing and better ring control then with Muay Thai, plus Muay Thai leaves you open for takedowns much more then boxing not to mention the openings they leave for strikes. Boxing you can box from a distance.

When you tell me of a Muay Thai guy that could move, take punishment at a minimum while dishing it out at a maximum, then we will be in business with a discussion.
Pookie
6/21/08 3:52:07PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

You know I'm not talking about your beloved Kickboxing right? I know their are different types of Muay Thai but the main idea in Muay Thai is to stand in front of your opponent and hit each other until one of you drop. And in MMA your only getting hit with 4 ounce gloves so yeah, good luck doing that and getting out of the 1st round. With boxing it's to hit and then not to be hit. Hit and dodge. You have better foot work in boxing and better ring control then with Muay Thai, plus Muay Thai leaves you open for takedowns much more then boxing not to mention the openings they leave for strikes. Boxing you can box from a distance.

When you tell me of a Muay Thai guy that could move, take punishment at a minimum while dishing it out at a maximum, then we will be in business with a discussion.

Anderson Silva
Mastodon2
6/21/08 5:41:06PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I train Muay Thai, not Kickboxing. If you genuinely believe that Muay Thai just about standing in front of your opponent and leathering each other with power shots then there is little point in me naming Thai boxers with good footwork, as you arent going to listen to me anyway. You have clearly heard this nonsense from someone else and never bothered to question it, if you looked into some real Muay Thai you see the quality of the footwork. Fighters who stand still (barring Yodsaenklai, but then he is probably the worlds p4p hardest kicker) just get clinched, or teeped on the ropes and elbowed out.
NatedawgThaM
6/22/08 1:31:06AM
Anderson Silva was pretty much another chutebox MT brawler except with above average technique with great speed IMHO until he started training with BTT and Blackhouse. He started training with great boxing coaches and that's when he started being elite. It was the perfect combination. If you can use Muay Thai's deadly strikes mixed with boxing's accuracy and footwork not to mention also the patience he has with figuring a guys timing out, then you pretty are the best MMA striker bar only fighters who do the same thing. Plus Anderson is the best P4P fighter in the world. He's a one in a million kind of guy.

Most of my perspective of Muay Thai comes from Chutebox, I'll be dead honest. But I did have a friend back it up by saying Muay Thai pretty much is standing toe to toe seeing which one lasts longer with deadlier strikes then in boxing. And he looks up to guys like Rob Kaman and watches some kickboxing/Muay Thai.

If you gave me names, I was gonna youtube em' and see if I was right or wrong. Because most of my argument with boxing being better for MMA is boxing is more based on giving maxmium damage while taking minimum with great footwork and ring control. And that's because with MMA you use those baby 4 ounces and if you don't stick and move, your always in a Houston Alexander situation. Drop your opponent first or get KTFO. You probably do more damage with Muay Thia but I thought the defensive part of boxing made it better. But of course if you prove me wrong like you said you could with listing names, then good for you, I was wrong. I got learned...
Mastodon2
6/22/08 6:39:59AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Anderson Silva was pretty much another chutebox MT brawler except with above average technique with great speed IMHO until he started training with BTT and Blackhouse. He started training with great boxing coaches and that's when he started being elite. It was the perfect combination. If you can use Muay Thai's deadly strikes mixed with boxing's accuracy and footwork not to mention also the patience he has with figuring a guys timing out, then you pretty are the best MMA striker bar only fighters who do the same thing. Plus Anderson is the best P4P fighter in the world. He's a one in a million kind of guy.

Most of my perspective of Muay Thai comes from Chutebox, I'll be dead honest. But I did have a friend back it up by saying Muay Thai pretty much is standing toe to toe seeing which one lasts longer with deadlier strikes then in boxing. And he looks up to guys like Rob Kaman and watches some kickboxing/Muay Thai.

If you gave me names, I was gonna youtube em' and see if I was right or wrong. Because most of my argument with boxing being better for MMA is boxing is more based on giving maxmium damage while taking minimum with great footwork and ring control. And that's because with MMA you use those baby 4 ounces and if you don't stick and move, your always in a Houston Alexander situation. Drop your opponent first or get KTFO. You probably do more damage with Muay Thia but I thought the defensive part of boxing made it better. But of course if you prove me wrong like you said you could with listing names, then good for you, I was wrong. I got learned...

First of all Chute box "Muay Thai" =/= real Muay thai.

Whatever you see in MMA being referred to as "Muay Thai" is not real, authentic Muay Thai, but most often a watered down version of the basics being taught to people in a style modified for MMA use.

Some good technical Nak Muays, doing real Muay Thai...

Buakaw Por Pramuk
Masato (Uses his hands more, but has his roots in Muay Thai)
Kid Yamamoto (MMA, but trained with some awesome guys in Thailand for a while)
Saenchai Sor Kingstar
Orono
Narupol Fairtex on occasion when he isn't doing his Yodsaenklai Fairtex impression

Having trained authentic Muay Thai under a trainer who trained in Thailand, I can say that it is most definitely not just too guys standing still and broadsiding eachother. We get taught the importance of footwork, circling, cutting off the ring etc, good ring control is part of being an effective Nak Muay. Even Yodsaenklai, who doesnt use quick or technical footwork, still has amazing ring control, and always manages to push his opponents towards a corner. We are taught to be mobile, even with the strong blocks that MT teaches, because it's better to not get hit at all rather than to block.
mkiv9secsupra
6/22/08 7:11:15AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM
Muay Thai you just go toe to toe until someone drops. It's fun to watch, but not fun to be apart of.

im pretty sure thats called a street fight and not muay thai