Do boxers use more of their skill set?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Do boxers use more of their skill set?
BadaSSitude
1/26/10 11:38:17PM
I have often wondered as I watch MMA fights, why it looks like the fighters are not even using a fraction of what you know. Most fighters are black belts in a martial art, they are fast but somehow you watch a fight and frankly there are occassions when you dont see much skill. By comparison, boxers tend to use all their skill and you see it very clearly. This this article, brings up the issue and it is intriguing. Thoughts?
EvenFlow
1/27/10 1:29:48AM
It's unfair to compare the two sports like this especially since MMA is so young, there's so much going on in an MMA scenario and so much more to think about since it's an actual fight instead of just one facet of a real fight. Assuming MMA and Boxing are around in 40-50 years I think MMA'ers will be without a doubt on par or better at Boxing than pro Boxers themselves, because the limits of Boxing has all but been set. If Pankration had staying power back in the old days then I dont think Boxing would be nearly as popular, if at all.
tcunningham
1/27/10 1:42:47AM
i agree. its to difficult to compare the two sports. boxing is a specific sport with specific actions( punching only) and MMA has no limits on what a fighter can bring to the fight. if an MMA fight relied solely on his punches then his opponent will take him down were as boxing theres no secret that he gonna trying to only punch you during the fight. MMA is f'ing awesome
Pookie
1/27/10 1:52:37AM
Without taking into account the skill of an opponents defenses, one can not accurately measure skill.

For instance - Floyd makes everybody he fights look mediocre, they miss with most of their punches, and expend alot of fruitless energy.
In Mma, theres so many facets in the game that every possible strength someone has can be nullified by the right defensive training.

Its all about what you mean by skill. More often then not, a flashy move like a spinning back kick gets you into more trouble than it helps.
decken
1/27/10 1:54:35AM

Posted by EvenFlow

It's unfair to compare the two sports like this especially since MMA is so young, there's so much going on in an MMA scenario and so much more to think about since it's an actual fight instead of just one facet of a real fight. Assuming MMA and Boxing are around in 40-50 years I think MMA'ers will be without a doubt on par or better at Boxing than pro Boxers themselves, because the limits of Boxing has all but been set. If Pankration had staying power back in the old days then I dont think Boxing would be nearly as popular, if at all.

The best pro boxers will always be better at boxing than pro mma fighters. Yes mma striking skills will increase dramatically but as you stated comparing mma and boxing is unfair. There is a reason pure professional strikers that come over to mma generally do not fair well. Boxing, kickboxing and muay thia all have to be adjusted to work for mma because foot work, range and effective strikes change when you have to worry about getting taken down.
EvenFlow
1/27/10 2:35:59AM

Posted by decken

Posted by EvenFlow

The best pro boxers will always be better at boxing than pro mma fighters. Yes mma striking skills will increase dramatically but as you stated comparing mma and boxing is unfair. There is a reason pure professional strikers that come over to mma generally do not fair well. Boxing, kickboxing and muay thia all have to be adjusted to work for mma because foot work, range and effective strikes change when you have to worry about getting taken down.

I'm not so sure about that, it's probably way too early to determine whether or not this ascension can happen so there's no real rebuttal on my part. I still believe at least a few MMA'ers will be on par with the best boxers at some point, whether or not that would translate into the singular sport of boxing is another story (as would the boxers boxing coming into MMA). Personally I think BJ could at the least contend with great boxers at his weight, and it's only 2010, let alone the talent 50 years, but like I also said the roof is the limit with boxing there isnt a plateau in boxing for long periods of time. Interesting topic though.

king_katool
1/27/10 2:39:30AM
you guys got suckered look at his name and then the website