Boxer Kermit Cintron willing to fight UFC champion in place of Mayweather...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Boxer Kermit Cintron willing to fight UFC champion in place of Mayweather...
Trapt1nw0nder
5/9/07 11:41:48AM
Source.

Kermit Cintron is 27-1, 25 KO’s and seeing him fight several times,and he is a top contender boxer with only 1 loss to world champ Antonio Margarito. i would actually like to see go up against sherk :)

i dont give him much of a chance,but i still would like to see this...he for sure has the KO power to KO sherk before he actually steps into range of a takedown......he has the KO power with boxing gloves,and now imagine what he can do with small MMA gloves..

i would give him 20% chance to win..
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
rcg916
5/9/07 11:54:38AM
I always thought it would be some 20-20 journeyman that stepped up, not an actual a level fighter... Sherk would still dominate more than likely, but at least its interesting!
Mastodon2
5/9/07 12:10:01PM
glad to see someone is willing step up for the beatdown, as soon as Sherk got the takedown it would be all over.

Id still like to see this though, but I love seeing Sherk fight anyone, he puts on a great show!
Gladiator
5/9/07 12:51:43PM
i really hope this fight happens. it reminds me of when royce came back a little bit, cuz he thought all he needed to win was his gracie jiu-jitsu and he was so confident he would win. now its the same situation with a boxer who thinks his stand up will be all he needs (with, apparantly, some wrestling) except i think cintron has a much bigger chance of winning than royce.
garrick
5/9/07 1:40:37PM
Sherk would dominate this guy. He's a boxer who thinks he can take a UFC veteran? Sherk would take it to the ground and show no mercy. This would be cool and fun to watch if it happens, which I doubt.
warglory
5/9/07 1:52:46PM
This dude has wrestling abilities folks, don't forget that. If Cintron works on his sprawl, and is able to scramble out of a GnP situation, he has a very believable chance of taking it to Sherk.
Trapt1nw0nder
5/9/07 2:23:14PM
i dont know,but i hope people really talk about this so it can happen....is this up on sherdog?

Rush
5/9/07 2:32:54PM
I think people are underestimating boxers a little too much.

I will be eagerly waiting to see if this fight (or a similar one) happens.
Gladiator
5/9/07 3:14:50PM

Posted by Rush

I think people are underestimating boxers a little too much.

I will be eagerly waiting to see if this fight (or a similar one) happens.

i think so too, i would think sherk would be the favorite but not by much in my eyes. especially against this guy! im not a fan of sherks by any means and would love to see him get knocked out, but if that did happen then mma fighters are going to look like chumps compared to boxers. good fight probably, but not wise for the ufc.
mkiv9secsupra
5/9/07 3:30:56PM

Posted by warglory

This dude has wrestling abilities folks, don't forget that. If Cintron works on his sprawl, and is able to scramble out of a GnP situation, he has a very believable chance of taking it to Sherk.

then he is being an mma artist not a boxer. kinda defeats the purpose of the fight... if he trains ANYTHING but boxing then this fight cannot be billed as MMA VS Boxing...
dstlvb
5/9/07 4:18:04PM
You dont jutsa train a little bit and work on this and step into the cage with a day in day out UFC champion. He was an acomplished JC wrestler. That doesnt mean he is ready to take on a guy who works on his craft everyday. Like MK said if he cross trains then he is not a boxer. you gice me Floyd and train him in other arts than he woudnt be a boxer but a MMA. With his athletic abilities and 6m to a year and i would give his a very good shot at stepping into the cage
Svartorm
5/9/07 5:01:51PM
I doubt hes been training much wrestling lately if hes a pro-boxer. Whats the point? The stance-work and movement are completely different, so it would hinder him more than anyways. He might have the wits not to get sucked into a takedown, but having "some wrestling skills" and being at Sherks level with wrestling are entirely different things. Hel, Tank Abbott came into UFC with "some wrestling skills".

The reason I don't think Sherk would have a problem with any boxer is the fact he was one of the best shots in UFC, behind Kos. He doesn't need to get into stand-up range to put you on the mat, and if he goes down once, this guy is doomed. I don't care if hes got wrestling experience, the ground is Sherks world, he doesn't get tired, and is physically one of the most powerful lightweights around.
Trapt1nw0nder
5/9/07 5:34:44PM
if Cintron is calling out the UFC champ,then he must be confident in his MMA skills...he's a young guy,and for all we know he must be training MMA and not even know it...he must be an MMA fan,and must know what it takes to win in an MMA fight,so i think he does train....just because he's a boxer dont mean he dont hit the mats once in a while to train JJ or Wrestling,and this guy would also be a big 155

..but knowing Dana White that shyt with calling out Mayweather was just something for money..for getting a Big name boxer in the cage.....Cintron is not really a Big name fighter,but he has cemented him place in boxing for being one of the best.......if he is asking "Mr.White"to "Make me an offer"..he most likely wants some serious cash,cuz we all know top contender boxers make 10 times more than what a top contender MMA fighter makes....or who knows..maybe he will do it for low money just to get his face out there to the public....

i wish i would of added a poll........Would this fight sell PPV's in your eyes?...if it ever happens im sold for sure,and rootin for Cintron
dstlvb
5/9/07 5:47:12PM
Just becuase he calls someone out doesnt mean he knows anything. Hell Floyd said all kinds of things about what it takes to fight in the UFC and none was true. The original offer was a Boxer vs MMA. If this guy is trianing MMA then that defeats the purpose. There are lots of boxers i would like to train MMA. Then they woudnt be boxers, they would be MMA. Floyd said any boxer could take a UFC guy, not let me train a boxer in MMA and he will win. We already have tons of boxers training MMA right now. This guy cant command as much as Floyd. Dana did not call out Floyd to get him in the cage. Floyd called out the UFC and Dana responeded. I doubt he was sitting around thinking how to get a big name boxer in the cage.

Why would you root for a guy that thinks a little background in wrestling and his boxing skills are enough to win. Doesnt sound like he thinks very much of the MMA. Just the guy i want to win.
Trapt1nw0nder
5/9/07 6:13:58PM

Posted by dstlvb

Just becuase he calls someone out doesnt mean he knows anything. Hell Floyd said all kinds of things about what it takes to fight in the UFC and none was true. The original offer was a Boxer vs MMA. If this guy is trianing MMA then that defeats the purpose. There are lots of boxers i would like to train MMA. Then they woudnt be boxers, they would be MMA. Floyd said any boxer could take a UFC guy, not let me train a boxer in MMA and he will win. We already have tons of boxers training MMA right now. This guy cant command as much as Floyd. Dana did not call out Floyd to get him in the cage. Floyd called out the UFC and Dana responeded. I doubt he was sitting around thinking how to get a big name boxer in the cage.

Why would you root for a guy that thinks a little background in wrestling and his boxing skills are enough to win. Doesnt sound like he thinks very much of the MMA. Just the guy i want to win.

as you all know by now,i am a huge boxing fan....i love boxing more than MMA so that is one reason i would be rooting for Cintron....

we have NEVER seen a top boxer fight in an MMA fight before,and for all be know he can be a lightweight Chuck Liddell,or CroCop with his stand up.....you cant compare a wannabee pro boxer training MMA like Chris Lytle to a Top boxer like Cintron.

"Dana did not call out Floyd to get him in the cage. Floyd called out the UFC and Dana responeded. I doubt he was sitting around thinking how to get a big name boxer in the cage."

this is my point...if it were a unknown top ranked boxer talking trash,do you think Dana would offer the same challenge?..i think not...so if this fight never happens i have proven my point
bayonetxwork
5/9/07 6:46:01PM
man give this guy some respect. He could easily win this fight, as easily as Sherk could win it. Atleast he's not the one talking trash to the camera about the UFC, he's being humble about it.

I hate boxing, but in all reality, he deserves respect and theres going to be 23523525 bashing him, when its just going to be a normal striker vs. grappler match. Only difference is he's much better on the feet then say an average striker.
mkiv9secsupra
5/9/07 6:47:24PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder
we have NEVER seen a top boxer fight in an MMA fight before,and for all be know he can be a lightweight Chuck Liddell,or CroCop with his stand up.....you cant compare a wannabee pro boxer training MMA like Chris Lytle to a Top boxer like Cintron.

well thats because the ones that keep there mouth shut and are very respectable know better than to try and box with an mma practicioner. what ever happened with the Tyson thing? didnt he sign a contract but never fulfilled it?
Svartorm
5/9/07 6:51:52PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Ray Mercer is fighting this month I believe. Granted, hes a bit over the hill, but hes an olympic Gold Medalist and former champ. If he gets destroyed against a guy like Kimbo, who admits he has zero real training, then it'll show exactly what top boxers are up against coming into the sport.
Trapt1nw0nder
5/9/07 7:14:55PM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Ray Mercer is fighting this month I believe. Granted, hes a bit over the hill, but hes an olympic Gold Medalist and former champ. If he gets destroyed against a guy like Kimbo, who admits he has zero real training, then it'll show exactly what top boxers are up against coming into the sport.

If Mercer comes in in shape with good conditioning,he should make quick work of Kimbo....but still,you cant really count on an over the hill(46 year old boxer)...cuz we all know a boxers true age is about 10 years older than it really is due to all the punishment they have taken over the years compared to an MMA fighter who can still be kicking ass at 44 since they dont take as much punishment
Svartorm
5/9/07 9:46:26PM
Also, this doesn't count for a hell of a lot, but Melton Bowen of UFC 4 fame was a title holder with a decent record, and didn't do so well, especially considering he had something like 70lbs over Jennem.
dstlvb
5/9/07 10:26:25PM
What is it about boxing fans that think boxers are some how the greatest combatants ever. Citron may very well be a very accomplished fighter. Even a background in wrestling. How does that some how translate into him stepping into a octagon, a place i dont belive he has been, and fight a guy who does it day in and day out. How does his background in wrestling, none in a MMA setting as far as i have read, make him able to do it against a guy who has practiced his craft for years and a champion at that. Citron has not said give me some time to train, and like was stated before, if he strats to train he isnt a boxer hes a MMA. If he went full time i would have no problem seein him beeing succesful in MMA. He has no clue on how to fight in the clinch, take a elbow, a kick. Its one thing to know how to sprawl, its another thing to do it against an opponet the caliber of Sherk. Whats going to happen when he gets pressed to the cage and the ref doesnt step in. What if he lands that pucnh. Are you telling me he is gaurenteed to knock him out. Does every guy he punch go out. What if he rocks Sherk coming in and he still gets the clinch, like that has never happened, what then. There is so much more to MMA than simply striking and be able to sprawl. Its and entirly different animal. If i ask you to pick between a boxer and a wreslter in a wrestling match who would you take.? How about a boxer and a kickboxer in a kickboxing match? A boxer and a Judo practioner in a Judo match? I could go on, but i would hope you wouldnt take the boxer in any of thoses instances. Yet when it comes to MMA which encompasses all those dicsiplines and more boxing fans all want to take the boxer. This isnt the old days of MMA with single discipline fighters. This is the era of fighters who have trained most of there lives in all the disiplines and no one diminsional fighter can survive in the octagon today with out proper training and commitment to being a MMA fighter.
Rush
5/9/07 11:20:28PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by dstlvb

What is it about boxing fans that think boxers are some how the greatest combatants ever. .

One can say the same about MMA fans. I think there are too many people out there that think MMA guys are invincible (except to other MMA people).

Lets not forget a number of guys that are pure wrestlers (I can probably think of some strikers too) that had a lot of success against MMA people. I think the door swings both ways. Also, considering the number of upsets recently (many ending on the feet) I don't know why a good boxer is being completely counted out.
Lay_N_Pray
5/10/07 11:04:31AM
I dont know if the fight not taking place proves any point. There are alot of contractual issues and legal crap that could get in the way of this fight ever taking place.

I tend to prefer MMA over Boxing but I will agree that I think this Cintron guy would be a tougher match then Mayweather. However, an eigth-sided cage and a ring are two different worlds and when that cage closes it becomes Sherks domain. So I would still take Sherk by a first round sub, cause Im assuming the guy wouldnt know how to stop a Kimura
dstlvb
5/10/07 5:03:31PM
In this case the door is not swinging both ways. Not one person has said any UFC fighter could step into a boxing ring and beat this guy, or any other boxer for that matter. One person said to give thios guy some credit he could win it as easily as Sherk. That makes no sense. They guy has never stepped into the octagon or had any fight even close to what he would face in the cage. To say he has just as good a chance as the Champion does is simply discrediting the champion. I guess you can think all you want about how good a chance this guy has, but without training anything other than boxing, because that was the argument, Boxing vs MMA, would you put a substantial amount of money on the boxer. I look at a boxing forum also, anf everyone one there thinks that all a boxer needs to do is show up get in the cage and he will win. It seems some here do also.
Trapt1nw0nder
5/10/07 9:04:00PM

Posted by dstlvb

In this case the door is not swinging both ways. Not one person has said any UFC fighter could step into a boxing ring and beat this guy, or any other boxer for that matter. One person said to give thios guy some credit he could win it as easily as Sherk. That makes no sense. They guy has never stepped into the octagon or had any fight even close to what he would face in the cage. To say he has just as good a chance as the Champion does is simply discrediting the champion. I guess you can think all you want about how good a chance this guy has, but without training anything other than boxing, because that was the argument, Boxing vs MMA, would you put a substantial amount of money on the boxer. I look at a boxing forum also, anf everyone one there thinks that all a boxer needs to do is show up get in the cage and he will win. It seems some here do also.

you are just putting words in people's mouths.....nobody here has said "all a boxer needs to do is show up get in the cage and he will win"....people are saying they would give him a chance,and for you not to give him a shot in hell is the problem here....I for 1 gave him a 20% chance if you read my opening post

I'll tell you something....a pro boxer has a better chance at beating a pro MMA in an MMA match,than a Pro MMA has beating a pro boxer in a boxing match.......Boxing is a HUGE part of am MMA fight...like they all say....."every fight starts on the feet".....and im sure Cintron knows sherks only chance is a takedown so he will most likely keep his distance and pick him apart from the outside with his jab......people may say that he was running the whole fight,or boring,but would come out with the W if he came in with that gameplan
dunster
5/10/07 9:36:26PM
if i was sherk, i would be offended that someone who has never tried their hand at my job that i do every day thinks they can just walk in and do it better than me, that i would literally take their head off. sherk would train harder for this fight than any other, and he would have the full backing of everyone involved in mma so he would get a few bonus points, if only to save face for mma in the future. now how many top flight mma guys are going to help a boxer on his way to destroying mma, the thing they more than likely love the most in the world? i dont think anyone would help, the guy will get the poorest of training, its 1 sided and the only chance the boxer has is if sherk gets caught when he shoots. its a no contest in my eyes to be perfectly honest with you

and also for the same reasons, the ref would be biased, ill guarentee that too, aswell as score judges, blah blah blah. it would end up being a mma vs boxing match, hosted by mma promoters and such like, it can only go 1 way for the promoters future to stay intact. think about it, its all business at the end of the day
dstlvb
5/11/07 4:58:42PM
I didnt quote you Trap, it was another guy. His statement was "He could easily win this fight, as easily as Sherk could win it". To me that says he thinks hes even money. Dont see how he could be. To many variables he is not familiar with. As far as GnP being Sherks only chance i disagree. While him standing with Citron would certainly increase his chances of getting caught, boxing isnt the only striking done from the feet. Can Citron fight in the clinch? Is he used to fighting with elbows? These are major factors in this fight. The original question wasnt can a top boxer with a background in wrestling train MMA and win. Floyd threw it out there that any boxer could step into the octagon and beat them at there game. Thats how this started. If Citron wants to train MMA he would be welcomed with open arms. With proper time and training he probally could take all comers.

I dont think boxing is a huge part of MMA. Striking is a huge part. There is a big differance in the two. A well respected boxing guy in an article discussed the differance between the two. But i get your point.