Boxer James Toney Says He'll Fight Liddell

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Boxer James Toney Says He'll Fight Liddell
disorderlyvision
4/17/07 12:26:08PM
link

Boxer James Toney says he's willing to fight Chuck Liddell or Randy Couture in a mixed martial arts match.

creativedestruction
4/17/07 12:27:54PM
make it happen!
methodman_90
4/17/07 12:39:25PM
Boxing is different from striking and he would find that out if he fought Liddell
cowcatcher
4/17/07 12:39:41PM
hes my favorite boxer, but i think hes taken too many shots to the head to think he can beat liddell or couture.
hook_tothe_body
4/17/07 3:32:41PM

Posted by cowcatcher

hes my favorite boxer, but i think hes taken too many shots to the head to think he can beat liddell or couture.

Exactly!
zephead
4/17/07 5:16:02PM
Punch drunk.
VanellaL47
4/17/07 5:39:07PM
He gets double legged by Couture he's in trouble....
gimmper
4/17/07 6:04:39PM
I love MMA as much as you all...but Liddell wouldn't last one round with James Toney...sorry guys hate to burst your bubbles...but a professional striker beats Liddell any day of the week...remember Liddell is a striker and never goes to the ground...Toney would take his shots and land a few combo's leaving Liddell dizzy if not cold....but nice try I know your intensions are pure. Now if your talking about Fedor well then Toney has his work cut out for him.
hook_tothe_body
4/17/07 6:09:57PM
If Liddell (or any MMA fighter who is a striker) was fighting a pro boxer, let alone James Toney, in an MMA fight, they would be an idiot not to take the fight to the ground.

Strikers in MMA still train ju jitsu, maybe not as much as they do on striking, but they still train ground fighting. James Toney most likely doesn't know how to fight on the ground. So why would Liddell not want to take the fight to the ground if it wasn't working out on his feet? (Which it wouldn't.)

Now in a boxing match with no takedowns, Toney would kill Liddell.

There is always punchers chance, though, no matter how small.
pv3Hpv3p
4/17/07 6:14:34PM

Posted by gimmper

I love MMA as much as you all...but Liddell wouldn't last one round with James Toney...sorry guys hate to burst your bubbles...but a professional striker beats Liddell any day of the week...remember Liddell is a striker and never goes to the ground...Toney would take his shots and land a few combo's leaving Liddell dizzy if not cold....but nice try I know your intensions are pure. Now if your talking about Fedor well then Toney has his work cut out for him.

I actually mostly agree with you... I don't think Liddell's counterpunching style will do him too much good against a good boxer like Toney... Maybe if he incorporated more leg kicks and basically tried to take him out of his boxing game a little... I guess he does have the power to KO Toney but I would say that it would be a punchers chance sort of thing (no offense to Chuck of course)

Now Randy or Fedor is a different story... I see either by brutal GnP untill Toney taps or they just decides to sub him.
aznteabagger
4/17/07 10:05:34PM
he'll find that mma is a lot different than boxing
chiefwiggum
4/17/07 11:36:57PM
I'm not a huge Liddel fan but he would most likely pawn Toney. I doubt he would stand there and trade punches with a pro boxer. I'm pretty sure he would do what he always does. Punch and KICK. I'm betting by the end of the first round Toney would barley be able to walk from the leg kicks.
hook_tothe_body
4/18/07 12:43:08PM

Posted by chiefwiggum

I'm not a huge Liddel fan but he would most likely pawn Toney. I doubt he would stand there and trade punches with a pro boxer. I'm pretty sure he would do what he always does. Punch and KICK. I'm betting by the end of the first round Toney would barley be able to walk from the leg kicks.

You bring up a good point. Liddell could work the leg kicks and hurt Toneys leg, stiffen it up.
Fanboy 1988
4/18/07 1:42:23PM
It would be an awsome fight to see, ofcourse I'd give the edge to Liddell but James would have a punchers chance. Not a very good one but still a chance
zephead
4/18/07 6:10:19PM

Posted by gimmper

Hate to burst your bubble, but think Babalu/Liddell 1.
Fear_Wanderlei
4/19/07 10:44:27AM

Posted by gimmper

Ummm, Liddell has the most feared hands in MMA, so if he can't then nobody is. You're way off base with that one.

Obviously Toney's going to have the same problem that Chuck has. Boxing in MMA is not even close to the same as professional boxing. I'm willing to bet that any pro boxers turned MMA guys will agree. Also, Toney won't get to wear those pussy gloves, he might hurt his hands a lil.

Chuck will just pick and chose strikes then take him to the ground and beat the **** out of him.
-Virus-
4/19/07 12:16:36PM
Lidell is an exelent ground artist and would win on the ground im not sure about standing tho...
awechet
4/19/07 3:38:24PM

Posted by gimmper

Thats the thing if it was a boxing match Toney would kill Liddell but its a MMA match. If Toney uses the same stance that he does in regular boxing all Liddell would have to do is kick his legs and Toney would be defenseless and Liddell still wins the stand up match. I love boxing just as much as I do MMA but to actually think using pure boxing in a MMA match would be insane you leave your whole lower half of your body open for attacks and thats not even counting the takedown and ground work.
bywayofko
4/19/07 6:02:15PM
He would get taken down and submitted easily in the first round
pv3Hpv3p
4/19/07 6:29:30PM

Posted by Fear_Wanderlei

Posted by gimmper

Ummm, Liddell has the most feared hands in MMA, so if he can't then nobody is. You're way off base with that one.

Obviously Toney's going to have the same problem that Chuck has. Boxing in MMA is not even close to the same as professional boxing. I'm willing to bet that any pro boxers turned MMA guys will agree. Also, Toney won't get to wear those pussy gloves, he might hurt his hands a lil.

Chuck will just pick and chose strikes then take him to the ground and beat the **** out of him.

I think Gimmper (lol) was actually trying to make the same point I was... Chuck couldn't use his normal gameplan in a fight like this... And Fedor and/or Randy have been known to take fools down and GnP the living sh!t out of them...

Chuck maybe be proficient on the ground, but you have to admit that he doesn't use it all that much.. Except for the sprawl and his uncanny ability to stand back up... he would definitely have to use more leg kicks and body kicks... But to say that Chuck wouldn't have a problem standing or that he could pick and choose his strikes is a little bit of a stretch, no?
ncordless
4/20/07 1:21:39AM
Take it from one who knows... the hard way.

Boxing defense (especially the cover-up that Toney uses) doesn't work so well when the gloves come off.

Liddell KO rnd 1

Would be even funnier to see Toney vs. Cro Cop. Toney's style and stance would be about as mismatched as that loveable Lucho Libre Dos Caras Jr.
hook_tothe_body
4/20/07 12:02:02PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by Fear_Wanderlei

Posted by gimmper

I think Gimmper (lol) was actually trying to make the same point I was... Chuck couldn't use his normal gameplan in a fight like this... And Fedor and/or Randy have been known to take fools down and GnP the living sh!t out of them...

Chuck maybe be proficient on the ground, but you have to admit that he doesn't use it all that much.. Except for the sprawl and his uncanny ability to stand back up... he would definitely have to use more leg kicks and body kicks... But to say that Chuck wouldn't have a problem standing or that he could pick and choose his strikes is a little bit of a stretch, no?

Chuck doesn't use ju jitsu all that much in his fights, but to his credit we can't judge how good he is on the ground because we have bearly seen his ground work.

I can't imagine any pro fighter who is in MMA that wouldn't train the stand up fight and the ground fight. Obviously Liddell hits the punching bag a hell of a lot more than he rolls ju jitsu, but I'm sure he stills works submission defence and positioning, and I'm sure he knows how to choke a guy.

But I agree with you, Chuck standing and picking and choosing his strikes against Toney is a little far fetched. I don't think that would happen at all. Like you said he could work the leg and body kicks, but a good counter to getting your leg kicked is throwing a punch. Don't think Liddell would want to eat too many of Toneys punches ...

Would be an interesting fight, anyways.
Sopena66669
4/24/07 12:04:28AM
I would love to see James Toney fight Liddell... Toney better learn to check thoughs leg kicks in hurry if he wants to stand a chance and in the worse case sencerio chuck still has awesome wrestling to fall back on... And if he were to try and fight Couture he would get bent over so fast he wouldnt know where the hell he was