Which boxer(Any Era) would do the best in MMA?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Which boxer(Any Era) would do the best in MMA?
Next Page »
Taylor8766
3/11/10 11:58:54PM
With all this talk about James Toney coming to the UFC, and a post by SmileR which is a good read about if the UFC is just using Toney as a pony to prove that MMA is better than boxing. I got thinking which boxer I thought would do the best in MMA in their prime with proper MMA training(so basically instead of boxing they did MMA). Guys like Ali, Sugar Ray, Maywheather Jr., Frazier and so many more, I just was thinking who you guys think would have done the best in MMA?

IMO Ali would have been a foce to be wreckoned with, especially if he learned some wrestling. Also Maywheather Jr., who I think would have probably the best MMA career if he would have trained in it, who knows theres still time.
StorminYourman
3/12/10 12:10:06AM
Foreman wishes MMA was around when he was young.He would have been a beast with GNP.The man was a hard hitter.
kopower
3/12/10 12:15:50AM
I would have liked to see Floyd in the cage. I think Tyson could have been an animal. For cryin out loud, he did bite Holyfields ear off. Just think of him in the old UFC days. If he could have learned some take down defense and grappling, he would have been a force to reckon with. Ali would have been great just for hyping up his fights. No one better.
Jackelope
3/12/10 12:45:27AM
I'd have to go with guys who are known for cardio and reaction times, and maybe a bit of strength. Defensive boxers like FMJ and Ali would probably do pretty well just because it's obvious by their defense that they have fantastic reaction times. Not to mention both men have exhibited high levels of intelligence, which I feel is a bit more of a requirement in MMA these days than I feel is required in boxing.

Lastly, I'd have to go with guys who are known for their work ethic. Obviously Manny Pacquiao fits the bill nicely when it comes to work ethic.

I'm not the most knowledgeable dude when it comes to the old timers but I bet there's plenty of boxers who would have been phenomenal mixed martial artists
haggiswashere
3/12/10 1:00:32AM
Jack Dempsey. Wanderlei Silva is the Jack Dempsey of MMA.
jasbone
3/12/10 2:06:50AM
I know this thread gets made a lot. But how do you think some of these guys would do in boxing?
Anderson Silva
BJ Penn
Fedor
KJ Noons
Nick Diaz
I see Penn and Noons doing decently with the other 3 struggling a little more. Anderson uses a greater variety of striking while Diaz lacks power in his shots to really put anyone out.

acekard 2
hate4thestate
3/12/10 3:33:38AM
i really think vic darchinyan would make a great mma fighter. (with ground game of course) he might not be the greatest but he would put on exciting fights imo.

also in comment to the dude above me. diaz spars with andre ward on a regular basis might wanna rethink that diaz wouldnt do good
fizzle
3/12/10 5:02:37AM
Mike Tyson, in his prime would have been wrecking people left and right. If he had a solid take down defense I wouldn't see very many people beating him. With a competent ground game to go along with his sheer punching power and ferocity I certainly wouldn't want to step in the cage with him.
sbulldavid
3/12/10 10:30:46AM
I think Tyson would have been a beast no doubt, he not only had fast hands, he was built like a tank, he would of fought at 205 and nobody would want to stand with him. He would have fought some amazing trilogies with the best in the world, he wouldn't win all of them, but they would be great.
Boo_Radley21
3/12/10 11:27:51AM
Definitely Tyson would ruin a ton of guys no doubt, but anyone else think Roy Jones would have done well? The guy is damn hard to hit and one of the fastest of all time with power too. Roy Jones at MW would be awesome.
TheBestEVER
3/12/10 11:47:11AM
If Tyson was trained in MMA in his prime, wow he would without a doubt have caused the first death in the cage. Imagine a punch to the jaw by Tyson with mma gloves..... Thats scary
king_katool
3/12/10 12:18:42PM
id have to say tyson, the guy came form the streets and trained boxing and was a beast, if MMA was big back then i think he wouldve choose MMA taking him from the streets and making him learn all of it, now the big question would be if he coudlve learned it all, his attitude wasnt the best, and tyson was only as good as he wasnt because of his father that adopted him(name is on tip of my tongue)

all tyson woudlve needed to add has wrestling and Sub D, he had such strength he could power out of most subs,
seanfu
3/12/10 1:18:07PM
seeing anyone slick in the cage would be stupid. Floyd would have to sprawl all day to stay alive as all he would be able to get is the ud. Tiny fragile hands aren't good and you get takes down a lot using combos.

You need a Roy Jones jr/Mike Tyson. Someone who hits extremely hard, technical and fast.

Otherwise you're just asking who would develop the best game. Ali would be crap in the cage, as would most long lanky boxers, most who are slick as well.
State_Champ
3/12/10 1:54:06PM
If they had trained to fight in MMA...
Ray Robinson
Muhammad Ali
Jake Lamotta
Mike Tyson
George Foreman
James Toney
Joe Frazier

Edit: I can't believe I forgot to add Roy Jones Jr. !!!
tcunningham
3/12/10 3:51:33PM
Arturo Gatti or mickey ward. when those two fought the first time it looked like an mma fight. they weren't boxers they were fighters
casketcoin
3/12/10 4:26:24PM
Tyson
Oscar
Manny
Kelly Pavolic
decken
3/12/10 7:44:12PM
none.
Pookie
3/12/10 10:11:15PM
Foreman
Ali
Pacquaio
Tyson
Barrera
Jones Jr.
Hearns
Hagler

State_Champ
3/12/10 11:17:54PM

Posted by Pookie

Hearns

Nice!
karn501
3/13/10 3:38:37PM
roy jones jr.
Naturaldisaster
3/13/10 10:44:26PM
Without a doubt Tyson would have been a beast in mma.
NatedawgThaM
3/17/10 9:25:25PM
I think alot of boxers would do GREAT. I mean think about it, most amazing boxers started boxing at a really young age. Imagine instead of just focusing on boxing if they would have trained MMA at a young age how sick they would be when they got older.

But just throwing a primed boxer into the cage, I'd probably say any aggressive puncher like I would give Ricardo Mayorga a better chance over Din Thomas against Toney against any UFC Heavyweight on any day just because no heavyweight is going to trade punches, if they do their attacking those legs where Mayorga pressing forward gives him a better chance of landing one of those sick punches, one punch and your done. So I'd say guys like mayorga, manny, Cotto, and Marvin Hagler would be pretty hard guys to stop from coming right at you.
shotokansun
3/21/10 2:45:17AM
Ali's endurance would have made him a force in MMA, but like so many have pointed out before, imagine getting rocked by Tyson wearing MMA gloves. It's a scary thought.
jarod1005
4/21/10 1:19:37PM

Posted by TheBestEVER

If Tyson was trained in MMA in his prime, wow he would without a doubt have caused the first death in the cage. Imagine a punch to the jaw by Tyson with mma gloves..... Thats scary

TheBestEVER said it straight. Any pro boxer would do some serious mayhem against the best MMA fighters. Now, having said that I mean that a pro boxer must take the time to work his ground game the same way that a wrestler, muay thai, or brazilian jiu-jitsu (i.e. Matt Hughes, Anderson Silva, Chuck Liddell, Tito Ortiz, Andrei Arlovski, etc.) work their boxing skills with renowned trainers such as Freddie Roach. A boxer would most certainly even the playing field by working in American Top Team or the Miletich camps. They would not need to have black belts in BJJ. Does Lesnar or Carwin have even a white belt? Hell no. Those guys are beasts.

Now imagine a young Mike Tyson, Lennox Lewis, Wladimir & Vitali Klitschko, Tommy Morrison, George Foreman, Micky Ward and Roberto Duran to name a few, with some sprawl and dirty boxing skills. They already know how to "dirty box", it's just that the sport of boxing does not allow the roughhousing tactics. The aforementioed fighters were savages and heavy-handed beasts in the the ring. Those are some big boys with 4 ounce gloves.

When people say that a boxer would not last in MMA, they are always refering to a stand-up boxer without any ground training. Without the ground training, if they hit the floor, it would look similar to when Royce Gracie was defeating everybody back in the early days. When he got his opponent on the ground they did not know how to work their way out of such a tight situation. This is why he beat the heavier opponents such as Shamrock, Kimo and Gordeau, etc. to name a few.

Wrestlers, kickboxers, boxers, and the like, back then, were at a disadvantage when it came to ground fighting.

MMA has evolved into a real sport, and nowadays, there is not a Gracie on the planet who can beat Matt Hughes, Brock Lesnar, or Shane Carwin. These guys know how to sprawl, dirty box, roll, spin, and of course, GROUND 'N POUND! Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a very technical, yet efficient submission art. Wrestlers and boxers are the much more phsically powerful individuals.

If you do not believe me go look at what Carwin did to Gonzaga and Mir; Hughes did to the Gracie cousins; Liddell beat any BJJ, it was the stand-up fighters who have given him the fits his last few fights; of course Lesnar's demolishing of Mir. Silva, Sonnen, Jackson, Edgars, the list goes on.

So yes, just about any boxer would be good as long as he is willing to incorporate a real ground game into his arsenal.

You don't seem to want to accept the fact you're dealing with an expert in guerrilla warfare, with a man who's the best, with guns, with knives, with his bare hands. A man who's been trained to ignore pain, ignore weather, to live off the land, to eat things that would make a billy goat puke. In Vietnam his job was to dispose of enemy personnel. To kill! Period! Win by attrition. Well Rambo was the best. - Colonel Trautman
runningman08
4/23/10 6:21:43PM
Ray Robinson or Mike Tyson.
fullerene
4/23/10 8:56:28PM
The answer is the boxer with the best wrestling background, not the boxer with the best boxing. Any top contender would have had more than enough to beat people with punches, it's a question of whether he could stay on his feet to do it. The older era boxers would have done better than their modern counterparts as a result since they often trained with wrestlers. The pre Marquis de Queensbury rules guys would have done the best since they were allowed to use many wrestling moves in what was then knowm as boxing.

Ali fought in a type of MMA match against pro wrestler Antonio Inoki. Despite making several rules that favored him, Ali got a gift draw.

Kermit Cintron, although not as good a boxer, would have done much better.

Danny Hodge, although not that great a boxer at all, would have done better still.
jarod1005
4/24/10 1:45:49PM

Posted by fullerene

The answer is the boxer with the best wrestling background, not the boxer with the best boxing. Any top contender would have had more than enough to beat people with punches, it's a question of whether he could stay on his feet to do it. The older era boxers would have done better than their modern counterparts as a result since they often trained with wrestlers. The pre Marquis de Queensbury rules guys would have done the best since they were allowed to use many wrestling moves in what was then knowm as boxing.

Ali fought in a type of MMA match against pro wrestler Antonio Inoki. Despite making several rules that favored him, Ali got a gift draw.

Danny Hodge, although not that great a boxer at all, would have done better still.

Correct, they [boxers] would need to train wrestling. However, Matt Hughes, Anderson Silva, Tito Ortiz, for example, have to train boxing, wrestling and jiu-jitsu to make the sport MMA. Just like a boxer does not know ground fighting, the afforementioned are not born with skills in jiu-jitsu, wrestling, etc. They have to train. For example, Matt Hughes is a wrestler first, but he has to train jiu-jitsu and boxing to make himself better.

Like I stated, any (pro) boxer who would devote himself to learn a ground discipline, would have much success in MMA.

You don't seem to want to accept the fact you're dealing with an expert in guerrilla warfare, with a man who's the best, with guns, with knives, with his bare hands. A man who's been trained to ignore pain, ignore weather, to live off the land, to eat things that would make a billy goat puke. In Vietnam his job was to dispose of enemy personnel. To kill! Period! Win by attrition. Well Rambo was the best. - Colonel Trautman
higdon10
4/24/10 5:02:20PM
Hearns
fullerene
4/24/10 7:32:45PM

Posted by jarod1005

Posted by fullerene

Correct, they [boxers] would need to train wrestling. However, Matt Hughes, Anderson Silva, Tito Ortiz, for example, have to train boxing, wrestling and jiu-jitsu to make the sport MMA. Just like a boxer does not know ground fighting, the afforementioned are not born with skills in jiu-jitsu, wrestling, etc. They have to train. For example, Matt Hughes is a wrestler first, but he has to train jiu-jitsu and boxing to make himself better.

Like I stated, any (pro) boxer who would devote himself to learn a ground discipline, would have much success in MMA.

Devoting yourself to something does not always equate with being good at it. There are probably hundreds of thousands of people who try to wrestle and make it as far as they can but only a small percentage make it to D1 colleges and only a small group of those progress to All-American of whom only a small percentage make it to the top international ranks, etc. Boxers are tough and have good stamina, but they also tend to be skinny without the balance and musculature that the average wrestler has.

It works both ways. Most wrestlers, regardless of the athleticism and competitive fire they show on the mat, can't get very far in the sport of boxing. In the case of MMA, though, not being able to wrestle well costs you more than not being able to box well.
jarod1005
4/25/10 12:14:41PM

Devoting yourself to something does not always equate with being good at it. There are probably hundreds of thousands of people who try to wrestle and make it as far as they can but only a small percentage make it to D1 colleges and only a small group of those progress to All-American of whom only a small percentage make it to the top international ranks, etc. Boxers are tough and have good stamina, but they also tend to be skinny without the balance and musculature that the average wrestler has.

It works both ways. Most wrestlers, regardless of the athleticism and competitive fire they show on the mat, can't get very far in the sport of boxing. In the case of MMA, though, not being able to wrestle well costs you more than not being able to box well.

Again correct, not being able to wrestle will cost you in MMA. Understand that when a pro boxer trains for MMA, his style of fighting will be different. He will no longer be just a pure boxer, albeit, no one in MMA will be able to stand in front of him. Many fighters such as Liddell, Daley, Franklin, Anderson and Jackson like to stand-up mainly. They are very successful when they fight pure-ground fighters.

As far as being skinny, well again, the training will require for them to lift more weights. A boxer does not have to be a collegiate All-American, the same way that Liddell does not have to be a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

People need to stop thinking that if a boxer goes to MMA he is just a boxer. No! He will have to learn another discipline in the same way that if Anderson Silva decided to be a boxer he would have to train with real boxers; Silva already trains with Freddie Roach.

Boxers are already accomplished athletes. If Kimbo Slice can win any fight in MMA, a real pro boxer stands a chance of doing exceptionally well in MMA.

Pages: [1] 2