Which Boxer would do the Best in MMA

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Which Boxer would do the Best in MMA
chickmagnet
1/24/08 12:40:37AM
Present day, which boxer would have the best chance to do well in MMA?

Im thinking Corales at bantamweight or featherweight. Maywether would get mauled by BJ, sherk, or joe. I would like to see Hatton come into MMA.

KeNn
1/24/08 12:49:37AM
lol Tyson, He don't box no more...but **** he should get into the cage.

hes a beast
proassassin
1/24/08 12:53:30AM
THE_DRiZzLE
1/24/08 1:00:26AM

Posted by KeNn

lol Tyson, He don't box no more...but **** he should get into the cage.

hes a beast

yeah he could be the 1st MMA fighter to win by way of Ear Submission..
KeNn
1/24/08 1:09:28AM
LOL beat me to it,
BUT MIKE TYSON IS INSANE he hits like a ******* tank.

lol I'd laugh so hard if he did it again, bites some dudes ear off...LOL shows how nuts the guy is.
tlangley
1/24/08 1:49:30AM
Shane Mosely
mrliquid
1/24/08 9:02:55AM
Tyson or Tua
fullerene
1/24/08 9:20:20AM
Kermit Cintron is the obvious, and already talked about, choice. He is a power puncher who was offered a wrestling scholarship out of high school.

Samuel Peter's build and style would be very suitable for MMA. He has everything Mark Hunt has to offer minus knees, but plus a lot of conditioning and speed.

Ricardo Mayorga is also built like a tank and has an aggressive style and attitude that is probably better suited for MMA than for boxing TBH.

Manny Pacquiao has the type of speed, conditioning and strength that are difficult for opponents to deal with in any combat sport.
Pookie
1/24/08 12:45:43PM

Posted by chickmagnet

Present day, which boxer would have the best chance to do well in MMA?

Im thinking Corales at bantamweight or featherweight. Maywether would get mauled by BJ, sherk, or joe. I would like to see Hatton come into MMA.

Corales died maybe 4-5 months ago...

Roy Jones in his prime had the master ability to hit and not be hit, his evasiveness would go far in mma if he managed to have his sprawl as evasive. both deal with reaction timing so he very well could have.
loonytnt
1/24/08 2:15:14PM
its hard to say because a boxer on the ground=lose

but if i had to pick one i WANTED to see i pick tyson, tyson vs CC the legs vs the hands lol

CC kill him but that would sell a lot of seats
Taylor8766
1/25/08 12:08:41PM
floyd maywheather jr. ( i hope he does actually come into MMA)
NatedawgThaM
1/25/08 3:23:06PM
Bernard Hopkins or Floyd Mayweather. They'd easily be the best because there the smartest boxers out there. There just too old to change sports...
KO
1/25/08 3:25:38PM
No one. Boxing is over.
NatedawgThaM
1/25/08 3:28:53PM

Posted by KO

No one. Boxing is over.

How can you say that? Hatton vs Floyd owned TUF 6 Finale with viewers and TUF 6 was FREE on Spike.

It's far from over. It's just getting better and better thanks to the UFC, boxers have to start being more entertaining. You can't tell me after all this past falls HUGE fights that boxing is over.

Kickboxing will die before Boxing dies. And I'm sure the kickboxing fanatics on this site will tell you kickboxing is far from dieing.
Pookie
1/25/08 5:40:25PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Bernard Hopkins or Floyd Mayweather. They'd easily be the best because there the smartest boxers out there. There just too old to change sports...

out of the top boxers still out there i think stylistically they would do the worst.

They are both effective because of how they use the rules that boxing has in place. Mayweathers defensive prowess goes out the window when you take away those big gloves and philly shell stance. You cant use that stance in an mma bout with out being taken down. That defensive posture is why he wins everyfight. without it hes just a fast puncher with quick reflexes who was a tendency to break his hands(with padded gloves on) his style doesnt transfer into mma well at all

now hopkins on the other hand manipulates the rules of boxing to his advantage. He's in all honesty a dirty fighter who knows what to do to get away with it. not dissing him, because thats what i like about him lol. Usually when someone is charging in hell throw that lighting quick right cross and then clinch with you, turn you away from the referee, hit you in the kidneys and liver as much as possible and then the ref will break it up none the wiser. But you cant as a boxer expect to win in a clinch battle with anyone at 185(which is the weight class he fight in) they'll either toss you like a ragdoll of knee you ten years into the future.

Both are incredibly smart boxers yes. But thats an entirely different sport. Their knowledge of boxing means very little when they step into the octagon.
Boo_Radley21
1/25/08 5:43:42PM
Tyson has the best chance for knocking a guy out before he gets taken down IMO. If he could land a shot the fight could be over just like that. I agree with whoever said it before that Jones would be interesting to see in mixed martial arts.
Pookie
1/25/08 5:52:26PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Tyson has the best chance for knocking a guy out before he gets taken down IMO. If he could land a shot the fight could be over just like that. I agree with whoever said it before that Jones would be interesting to see in mixed martial arts.

That would be me
jiujitsufreak74
1/25/08 6:33:55PM
Marcus Davis proved that it is possible to make a transition from boxing to MMA if you get out early enough and dedicate yourself to MMA. i would say roy jones is too old, tyson is a joke now and all of the other big named fighters aren't young enough to mold into an MMA fighter. of all of the boxers i think that mayweather would be the best suited for MMA. i know he gets a lot of heat for his public statements of late but i just feel that with his history in kickboxing and his athleticism coupled with the fact that h e is only 30 that he could develop a sprawl and experience some degree of success in MMA. as for the best boxer in MMA has to be Davis hands down although i am a bit biased
Kpro
1/25/08 6:38:02PM
It's already been said, but Kermit Cintron.

Or any other boxer with collegiate wrestling experience.
NatedawgThaM
1/25/08 6:49:35PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by NatedawgThaM

out of the top boxers still out there i think stylistically they would do the worst.

They are both effective because of how they use the rules that boxing has in place. Mayweathers defensive prowess goes out the window when you take away those big gloves and philly shell stance. You cant use that stance in an mma bout with out being taken down. That defensive posture is why he wins everyfight. without it hes just a fast puncher with quick reflexes who was a tendency to break his hands(with padded gloves on) his style doesnt transfer into mma well at all

now hopkins on the other hand manipulates the rules of boxing to his advantage. He's in all honesty a dirty fighter who knows what to do to get away with it. not dissing him, because thats what i like about him lol. Usually when someone is charging in hell throw that lighting quick right cross and then clinch with you, turn you away from the referee, hit you in the kidneys and liver as much as possible and then the ref will break it up none the wiser. But you cant as a boxer expect to win in a clinch battle with anyone at 185(which is the weight class he fight in) they'll either toss you like a ragdoll of knee you ten years into the future.

Both are incredibly smart boxers yes. But thats an entirely different sport. Their knowledge of boxing means very little when they step into the octagon.

I picked Floyd because he could be like Chuck if all he did was work on that sprawl and use cole flower ear guard besides the Philly Shell.

Hopkins is my favorite fighter because of that lol He's very smart and I think he could find a way to manipulate MMA rules too.

I don't think any boxer would do that well unless they took off a year from fighting and trained MMA. Most of them would just be Melvin Guillard minus the wrestling background. Which is a good slugfest but everybody knows your weakness.
jiujitsufreak74
1/25/08 6:58:02PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I picked Floyd because he could be like Chuck if all he did was work on that sprawl and use cole flower ear guard besides the Philly Shell.

Hopkins is my favorite fighter because of that lol He's very smart and I think he could find a way to manipulate MMA rules too.

I don't think any boxer would do that well unless they took off a year from fighting and trained MMA. Most of them would just be Melvin Guillard minus the wrestling background. Which is a good slugfest but everybody knows your weakness.

pretty much what i was getting at with my post...share the same viewpoint as you do(love spreading)
Kpro
1/25/08 7:04:11PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Cocaine?
fullerene
1/25/08 7:26:53PM
We already have a precedent with K-1 strikers coming over. The guys who were muscular and had KO power (namely Hunt and Cro-Cop) were able to wrestle well enough on their feet and damage opponents enough with single shots to be effective in MMA very quickly.

Guys who were equally good in K-1 (Aerts, Schilt, Leko) but who had long and lanky body types were easily taken down and manhandled in the wrestling department. They simply didn't have the center of gravity and "weight in the ass" to stay on their feet or fight off subs when they were taken down.

Boxing would likely be the same. Thick guys like Peter and Mayorga can both keep their feet by wrestling and KO opponents quicker than bird-legged boxers like Bernard Hopkins and Diego Corrales. Obvously a guy with wreslting experience, like Cintron, trumps them all.

Marcus Davis had an excellent take on transitioning from boxing to MMA. I posted it in the news forum, but it's worth a look for those who missed it:

http://www.maxboxing.com/Kim/Kim123107.asp
NatedawgThaM
1/26/08 12:48:41AM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Cocaine?

I got to give props for that!!

telnights
1/26/08 4:34:21AM

Posted by fullerene

Kermit Cintron is the obvious, and already talked about, choice. He is a power puncher who was offered a wrestling scholarship out of high school.

Samuel Peter's build and style would be very suitable for MMA. He has everything Mark Hunt has to offer minus knees, but plus a lot of conditioning and speed.

Ricardo Mayorga is also built like a tank and has an aggressive style and attitude that is probably better suited for MMA than for boxing TBH.

Manny Pacquiao has the type of speed, conditioning and strength that are difficult for opponents to deal with in any combat sport.

Great post man.
hippysmacker
1/26/08 7:47:38AM

Posted by fullerene

We already have a precedent with K-1 strikers coming over. The guys who were muscular and had KO power (namely Hunt and Cro-Cop) were able to wrestle well enough on their feet and damage opponents enough with single shots to be effective in MMA very quickly.

Guys who were equally good in K-1 (Aerts, Schilt, Leko) but who had long and lanky body types were easily taken down and manhandled in the wrestling department. They simply didn't have the center of gravity and "weight in the ass" to stay on their feet or fight off subs when they were taken down.

Boxing would likely be the same. Thick guys like Peter and Mayorga can both keep their feet by wrestling and KO opponents quicker than bird-legged boxers like Bernard Hopkins and Diego Corrales. Obvously a guy with wreslting experience, like Cintron, trumps them all.

Marcus Davis had an excellent take on transitioning from boxing to MMA. I posted it in the news forum, but it's worth a look for those who missed it:

http://www.maxboxing.com/Kim/Kim123107.asp

I'll second the great post comment