UFC boss wants to talk to Ben Askren, not pursuing Paul Daley

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC boss wants to talk to Ben Askren, not pursuing Paul Daley
Webbie
8/15/13 4:37:31PM
BOSTON – UFC President Dana White said his promotion may very well be interested in Bellator welterweight champion and current free agent Ben Askren. Controversial British slugger Paul Daley, not so much.

Link.
Webbie
8/15/13 4:38:56PM
I like all of it.

Get Askren in the UFC so we can find out how he compares to top competition, though I don't really expect him to sign with the UFC at this point.

Meanwhile, let Daley know he doesn't stand a chance of ever fighting in the UFC again Unfortunately, Dana does sound like he'll be willing to forgive him in the future, though.
Chael_Sonnen
8/15/13 4:47:55PM
Ben exemplifies being the best WW on planet Earth. Give him 16 months and he would clean out the division. ((KaaBoom!!))
DrivenDavies15
8/15/13 4:52:28PM
A little surprised but not complaining about the interest in Askren.

I mean I shouldn't be surprised because the dude is undefeated, champion in arguably the second best MMA promotion in the world, and easily one of the best wrestlers in MMA right now, unfortunately the casual fans have little interest in seeing him fight. I really want to see how he stacks up.

He has shown more than lay n pray in his last 2 fights and getting hard earned finishes, hopefully, if he does get signed, he uses the UFC title as motivation and goes out and continues to put on a show and win impressively.
Dberntson
8/15/13 5:23:57PM

Posted by DrivenDavies15

I mean I shouldn't be surprised because the dude is undefeated, champion in arguably the second best MMA promotion in the world, and easily one of the best wrestlers in MMA right now, unfortunately the casual fans have little interest in seeing him fight. I really want to see how he stacks up.

He has shown more than lay n pray in his last 2 fights and getting hard earned finishes, hopefully, if he does get signed, he uses the UFC title as motivation and goes out and continues to put on a show and win impressively.

I like it. I may be one of the few Askren fans out there and would love to see how he holds up to the stiffer competition. I personally think he will be competive right off the bat and could derail a lot of top 10 guys. One also has to realize that he hasnt been in MMA all that long and continues to improve.
BillsNewAccount
8/15/13 5:25:23PM
I'd like to see how he would fare against the winner of Maia v Shields.
BillsNewAccount
8/15/13 5:37:36PM

Posted by Dberntson

Posted by DrivenDavies15

I like it. I may be one of the few Askren fans out there and would love to see how he holds up to the stiffer competition. I personally think he will be competive right off the bat and could derail a lot of top 10 guys. One also has to realize that he hasnt been in MMA all that long and continues to improve.

I'm a funky fan too and while I think he could derail some of the top ten guys like Condit. I worry what will happen when he runs into a guy with great TDD and heavy hands like Hendrix or Burger.
DeadHead988
8/15/13 5:38:09PM
I think they would both work him
airkerma
8/15/13 6:33:33PM
I agree with Dana on this one. You always want to steal the other guys champ but for once I think Dana should and will stick to his guns on Daley. No reason to ever bring him back.
jae_1833
8/15/13 6:59:28PM
My whole reason for wanting him in the UFC is to see how good he really is. I think he needs to pair up against the power wrestler's with good hands, even if it's just Kos.
postman
8/15/13 7:30:20PM

Posted by jae_1833

My whole reason for wanting him in the UFC is to see how good he really is. I think he needs to pair up against the power wrestler's with good hands, even if it's just Kos.

I agree he's just so much better at wrestling then the guys he's fighting. He's going to go to sleep in pretty epic fashion would be my guess
jjeans
8/15/13 7:59:52PM
I'd like to see him face Rory Mac.

I wouldn't care if either man lost
OnyxShadow
8/15/13 8:22:46PM
1. Dana wants fighters that bring it.
2. Dana wants Askren.
3. Dana does not want Daley.

Does. Not. Compute.
prozacnation1978
8/15/13 8:48:26PM
Lose out on Alvarez
Take askren as compensation

I wanna see how he does in the UFC.
Feed him to the sharks
sbulldavid
8/15/13 9:14:49PM
Always been an Askren fan...but to be honest I don't really see any major improvements. I still would love to see him against somebody like Mike Pierce or Rick Story or John Hathaway, several good main card fights just to find his holes and push him to another level, without destroying him.
Dberntson
8/15/13 9:38:23PM
As long as Askren is in Bellator, he does not need to get better or take risks in order to win. He can win with his wrestling alone without the threat of a challenge, let alone a loss - with the exception of a lucky hail marry punch/kick. If he goes to the UFC, he will have to show his other aspects of his game and take more risks. If he doesn't have any other aspects, he will have to learn some.
tepid55
8/15/13 10:50:48PM
I think Ben Askren would be a good addition to the UFC welterweight division.
xdanish020
8/16/13 12:47:42AM
If Daley keeps winning I think Dana will have no choice, his style is too fan friendly. What he did was stupid, but plenty of fighters have had DWIs, caught with Steroids, Pot and given a second chance.
Budgellism
8/16/13 12:48:30AM
Paul Daley is a good fighter but he doesn't belong in the ufc imo.

I'm glad Dana is interested in Askren though. He has a ton of upside. In a few years he could have the tools to hold the belt.
GDPofMPG
8/16/13 12:24:17PM
I think if they did manage to get Ben in, having him debut against Nick Diaz would be intriguing. Would make a lot more sense imo then Machida vs Diaz. Pipe dream of course. Diaz would duck the shit out that fight. Diaz might be good at fighting, but he doesn't seem a fighter so much these days, he only wants to do as little as possible for money in fights he would lose and does not deserve.
DosBox
8/17/13 2:53:47AM
Would definitely be interested in seeing how Askren does, like a lot of people.

His transitions, and returns are pretty flawless, and is a great positional top game grappler.

Still think he could possibly contend for the title.. as I think he could stifle guys like Hendricks, Ellenberger, possibly Rory (although most of those fights would likely look similar to Shields/Woodley) but is still definitely deserving of the chance.
VILLIN
8/17/13 6:09:47AM

Posted by xdanish020

If Daley keeps winning I think Dana will have no choice, his style is too fan friendly. What he did was stupid, but plenty of fighters have had DWIs, caught with Steroids, Pot and given a second chance.

I don't think it will matter how many wins Daley racks up, his style/entertainment value isn't the issue. The guy is completely irresponsible and you can't have someone like that representing your company in such a high profile manner. The Koscheck incident aside, Daley has constantly conducted himself in a manner not befitting a responsible adult much less a professional.

The scrapes with the law and perpetual thuggish behavior has to stop before the UFC even thinks about giving Daley another shot.
Bubbles
8/17/13 12:40:42PM

Posted by VILLIN

Posted by xdanish020

I don't think it will matter how many wins Daley racks up, his style/entertainment value isn't the issue. The guy is completely irresponsible and you can't have someone like that representing your company in such a high profile manner. The Koscheck incident aside, Daley has constantly conducted himself in a manner not befitting a responsible adult much less a professional.

The scrapes with the law and perpetual thuggish behavior has to stop before the UFC even thinks about giving Daley another shot.

I could be wrong but isn't he currently limited to only fighting in the UK?