UFC Boss Says Weidman Wants To Smash Silva in Brazil, Give Him A Rematch And Smash Him Again

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Boss Says Weidman Wants To Smash Silva in Brazil, Give Him A Rematch And Smash Him Again
« Previous Page
Bubbles
2/11/13 8:42:51AM

Posted by lll-lll

So beating a well past his prime Franklin is better than beating Munoz and Maia in their primes? Rich hasn't beaten a guy relavant in years. He hasnt fought anyone close to the title picture since 2009! People need to learn to understand the difference between real contenders and what I like to call the "senior circuit." Franklin has been fighting has been names for years- Liddell, Wanderlei, Forrest (not old but a shell of his former self and no longer a title contender) and Le. But these guys are past their primes and will no longer hang with the elite younger guys.

Franklin was in his prime back in 2006, you brought up fights from 2010. I agree with most of your points, but your timeline is off

edit: just realized you may have been referring to Le not Anderson
Dberntson
2/11/13 9:12:10AM
Someone eventually will beat Silva and I think Weidman could do it. Also, I met Weidman and Bader once at a bar. Both were really nice, but especially Weidman. He actually talk for a while. A class act guy in my opinion.
Theoutlaw08
2/11/13 10:07:49AM
Weidman may have the best chance in the MW division to beat Silva but that doesnt mean hes going to. I agree with other posts, I dont think he knows what hes getting in to.
40ouncetofreedom
2/11/13 10:32:27AM
It seems it's getting as to what the biggest sell is going to be and not who truly deserves it with the title shots with Anderson and GSP anyways...I guess Jones too.

Weidman way more deserving than Cung Le IMO.

I do want to see GSP Diaz even if i believe Hendricks got dicked over.

And Chael has no business really fighting for the LHW title even if there really isn't a solid number 1 that Jones hasn't beat yet.

But on the other hand while there is arguable cases for who is number 1 for a shot at certain weight classes, I guess it makes sense to the biggest draw fights.I'm not complaining with the fights upcoming. It'll just suck if a guy like Henrdicks or Weidman who i feel have earned a shot lose in the meantime, Then it's back square 1.
Dberntson
2/11/13 10:39:43AM

Posted by iwannabesedated

It seems it's getting as to what the biggest sell is going to be and not who truly deserves it with the title shots with Anderson and GSP anyways...I guess Jones too.

And Chael has no business really fighting for the LHW title even if there really isn't a solid number 1 that Jones hasn't beat yet.

But on the other hand while there is arguable cases for who is number 1 for a shot at certain weight classes, I guess it makes sense to the biggest draw fights.I'm not complaining with the fights upcoming. It'll just suck if a guy like Henrdicks or Weidman who i feel have earned a shot lose in the meantime, Then it's back square 1.

Dan Henderson is the solid #1 contender to Jones. He is ranked the #2 LHW on most rankings, had a fight lined up before injury, is a legend, the last Strikeforce LHW Champion, and Jones has never beaten him. Hendo got screwed, but will get the shot after he KOs The Dragon.
40ouncetofreedom
2/11/13 10:57:46AM

Posted by Dberntson

Dan Henderson is the solid #1 contender to Jones. He is ranked the #2 LHW on most rankings, had a fight lined up before injury, is a legend, the last Strikeforce LHW Champion, and Jones has never beaten him. Hendo got screwed, but will get the shot after he KOs The Dragon.

I love Hendo and i do agree for the most part, But it comes back to my original point that Chael Vs Bones sells, I think Hendo Vs Jones would sell a lot too, But if they thought Hendo Vs Bones was the true fight, Then they would've made it again and not give Hendo Machida " a fight i think he has a real good chance of losing".
LightsOUT23
2/11/13 11:31:16AM
Hendo is out of the Question, Machida will put him in a box in a few weeks.

Belfort wont fight til the end of the year when the UFC return to his home town in Brazil because the Athletics Commission in Vegas wont allow him to have TRT in his corner come fight night.

Okami is tied up putting a wrestling clinic on that cocky short ass midget known as Lombard.

Weidman hasn't created any waves in the division just yet. Ko'ing a guy who been Ko'd before and rocked in many of his UFC fights anyway doesn't grant you a title fight.

Munoz biggest UFC win was over Chris Leben whilst his stomach was full of Jelly beans. What does that tell you about what type of a fighter Chris Weidman Beat. Munoz had a long lay off prior to that fight too and was way out of touch.

tho ... ....

Damien Maia got his shot after beating the world ranked Dan Miller, prior to that win he was ko'd by Marquardt. One loss, One win = Title shot ???

Hell, Patrick Cote beat Kendal Grove and Ricardo Almeida to get his title shot.
Now, that's taking out the big guns before a dream shot at the gold, right ???

Why not Gung Le - Belfort came into the UFC and KO'd Rich Franklin to get a title shot. Before that fight, Belfort KO'd Terry Martin who was KO'd so many times before in the UFC that they sent him packing.

Didn't Le just Ko Franklin worse than Belfort managed ???

Not forgetting Nate "The Great" Marquardt who stole the headlines by taking out Joe Doerksen and Crafton Wallace to earn his shot at Silva's Gold. Proper contender for the title !!!

Thales Lettes got his shot at the gold after beating Drew McFedries.
Drew McFedries who has probably never been seated in the top 10 in his whole career. Always dangerous, but never a true contender himself.

Travis Lutter - Yeh, he beat Patrick Cote and had a few exhibition bouts in between against former UFC has beens to get a shot at Anderson Silva. Truly earned his Title shot.

Based on these facts, Le or Bisping have a bloody good crack at being the next number one contender.

IF Bisping beats Belcher, he should get it. He has earned his right in that division.

BillsNewAccount
2/11/13 11:36:03AM

Posted by lll-lll

Anderson isnt physically what he once was, and I think a young guy like Weidman is ready to take advantage of it.

I also think Anderson and his team know it too and thats why the Weidman fight has been held off like it has.

Speaking of changing of the guard, the new teh kingsman everyone!

Explain to us again how afraid Anderson is.
40ouncetofreedom
2/11/13 11:57:13AM

Posted by LightsOUT23

Hendo is out of the Question, Machida will put him in a box in a few weeks.

Belfort wont fight til the end of the year when the UFC return to his home town in Brazil because the Athletics Commission in Vegas wont allow him to have TRT in his corner come fight night.

Okami is tied up putting a wrestling clinic on that cocky short ass midget known as Lombard.

Weidman hasn't created any waves in the division just yet. Ko'ing a guy who been Ko'd before and rocked in many of his UFC fights anyway doesn't grant you a title fight.

Munoz biggest UFC win was over Chris Leben whilst his stomach was full of Jelly beans. What does that tell you about what type of a fighter Chris Weidman Beat. Munoz had a long lay off prior to that fight too and was way out of touch.

tho ... ....

Damien Maia got his shot after beating the world ranked Dan Miller, prior to that win he was ko'd by Marquardt. One loss, One win = Title shot ???

Hell, Patrick Cote beat Kendal Grove and Ricardo Almeida to get his title shot.
Now, that's taking out the big guns before a dream shot at the gold, right ???

Why not Gung Le - Belfort came into the UFC and KO'd Rich Franklin to get a title shot. Before that fight, Belfort KO'd Terry Martin who was KO'd so many times before in the UFC that they sent him packing.

Didn't Le just Ko Franklin worse than Belfort managed ???

Not forgetting Nate "The Great" Marquardt who stole the headlines by taking out Joe Doerksen and Crafton Wallace to earn his shot at Silva's Gold. Proper contender for the title !!!

Thales Lettes got his shot at the gold after beating Drew McFedries.
Drew McFedries who has probably never been seated in the top 10 in his whole career. Always dangerous, but never a true contender himself.

Travis Lutter - Yeh, he beat Patrick Cote and had a few exhibition bouts in between against former UFC has beens to get a shot at Anderson Silva. Truly earned his Title shot.

Based on these facts, Le or Bisping have a bloody good crack at being the next number one contender.

IF Bisping beats Belcher, he should get it. He has earned his right in that division.

Judging by this, Then no one is ever worthy of a title fight and everyone sucks.

Marquadt was on a 6 fight win steak prior to his shot against Anderson, You earn shots by winning fights against whoever they match you up with, Regardless of how good the public views the guys you beat to be.
Pookie
2/11/13 12:32:37PM

You earn shots by winning fights against whoever they match you up with, Regardless of how good the public views the guys you beat to be.

Frankie Edgar, Nick Diaz, Chael Sonnen, (Alternate universe) Rashad.

Thats practically half of the divisions where winning wasn't what mattered.
40ouncetofreedom
2/11/13 1:05:47PM

Posted by Pookie

You earn shots by winning fights against whoever they match you up with, Regardless of how good the public views the guys you beat to be.

Frankie Edgar, Nick Diaz, Chael Sonnen, (Alternate universe) Rashad.

Thats practically half of the divisions where winning wasn't what mattered.

True, With todays matchmaking anyways, But years ago when Marqaudt got his shot he got it by winning, Not by dropping or moving up in weight.Like i said a few posts above if the title picture seems a bit murky it appears they go with the biggest draw.

I had no issue with Edgar, He had 2 good fights with Bendo and people for awhile now debated Edgar vs Aldo, Even though he was coming off 2 losses and got a shot i still think he was way more ready than most other 145ers.Even if it contradicts my beliefs.
lll-lll
2/11/13 5:08:05PM

??? Get a life.

I have defended Anderson for years when people have bashed him. I have always held Anderson in the highest of regard. He is the greatest of all time. However, he is human. We he seen this before with Fedor. People get in a guys ear and it seems they get caught up in their own hype or legacy or whatever. Anderson has never turned down a challenge til recently. Now all of a sudden he refuses to fight Jones. He refuses to fight Weidman. Yet he's willing to fight more favorable match ups in Rockhold or Le. Hes talking about "names" and refusing to fight Jones, the second biggest name out there aside from GSP. IMO many of Anderson's actions of late have deminished his legacy in my eyes. I'm not even a fan of Weidman, Ive never been sold on Serra's guys. I do see the possible style clash though, plus the youth, which makes Weidman the most dangerous match up for Anderson out there currently at 185. I also think Weidman is the most deserving current guy out there as well, having defeated Munoz and Maia (bash all you want haters, they were top 10 contenders at 185).

I have kind of been running on the assumption, til recently, that Dana didn't want Anderson vs Weidman either. He had been pretty quiet on the whole fight until now, and always seemed to be finding other guys who were deserving to place in the way. I just took it as Weidman didnt have a big name, and there were so many big super fights for ANderson that he wanted to keep feeding him wins til he could line up GSP or Jones. I am actually quite stunned that this whole Weidman thing has popped up on the heels of the Anderson resigning. I figured once he got the Anderson approval that he would fight GSP and Jones, Weidman would get someone else for sure. I figured they would at least do GSP prior to a potential Weidman fight. Maybe Anderson's guarentee of Jones and GSP no matter what facilitated the Weidman fight. Who knows? But I have a feeling a lot of people will be eating crow after this fight. One way or the other lol There seems to be little midde ground.
LightsOUT23
2/11/13 6:34:09PM

Judging by this, Then no one is ever worthy of a title fight and everyone sucks.

Marquadt was on a 6 fight win steak prior to his shot against Anderson, You earn shots by winning fights against whoever they match you up with, Regardless of how good the public views the guys you beat to be.

Marquardt a minor exception. But how do you explain the likes of Maia, Lutter, Lettes and Cote then ... ????
Bubbles
2/11/13 6:50:29PM

Posted by lll-lll

I have kind of been running on the assumption, til recently, that Dana didn't want Anderson vs Weidman either. He had been pretty quiet on the whole fight until now, and always seemed to be finding other guys who were deserving to place in the way. I just took it as Weidman didnt have a big name, and there were so many big super fights for ANderson that he wanted to keep feeding him wins til he could line up GSP or Jones. I am actually quite stunned that this whole Weidman thing has popped up on the heels of the Anderson resigning. I figured once he got the Anderson approval that he would fight GSP and Jones, Weidman would get someone else for sure. I figured they would at least do GSP prior to a potential Weidman fight. Maybe Anderson's guarentee of Jones and GSP no matter what facilitated the Weidman fight. Who knows? But I have a feeling a lot of people will be eating crow after this fight. One way or the other lol There seems to be little midde ground.

Dana was waiting/hoping for Bisping to win...since that didnt happen, here we are
george112
2/11/13 7:02:29PM

Posted by lll-lll

??? Get a life.

I have defended Anderson for years when people have bashed him. I have always held Anderson in the highest of regard. He is the greatest of all time. However, he is human. We he seen this before with Fedor. People get in a guys ear and it seems they get caught up in their own hype or legacy or whatever. Anderson has never turned down a challenge til recently. Now all of a sudden he refuses to fight Jones. He refuses to fight Weidman. Yet he's willing to fight more favorable match ups in Rockhold or Le. Hes talking about "names" and refusing to fight Jones, the second biggest name out there aside from GSP. IMO many of Anderson's actions of late have deminished his legacy in my eyes. I'm not even a fan of Weidman, Ive never been sold on Serra's guys. I do see the possible style clash though, plus the youth, which makes Weidman the most dangerous match up for Anderson out there currently at 185. I also think Weidman is the most deserving current guy out there as well, having defeated Munoz and Maia (bash all you want haters, they were top 10 contenders at 185).

Fedor never considered himself the best. The humblest of fighters. Which is why imo along with all of his other accomplishments he is the best ever
MMA-San
2/11/13 8:45:57PM
I'd pick eidman over Silva in anyplace but Brazil
Pages: 1 [2]