UFC boss says Condit one of the divisions best, "Natural Born Killer" not waiting for title shot

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC boss says Condit one of the divisions best, "Natural Born Killer" not waiting for title shot
pmoney
7/3/11 12:01:05PM
LAS VEGAS – With his second-straight "Knockout of the Night" victory, former WEC welterweight champion Carlos Condit (26-5 MMA, 4-1 UFC) is quickly becoming a top contender in the UFC's 170-pound division.

Saturday night's UFC 132 event featured a host of incredible knockout victories, but UFC president Dana White deemed Condit's first-round finish of Dong Hyun Kim the best of the bunch, awarding him the bonus and declaring him "one of the best 170-pounders in the world."

But with UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre not scheduled to defend his title until late October, Condit isn't interesting in sitting around waiting for a title shot. Instead, he wants to get back in the octagon and cement his position in the division.

Article
BigIP
7/3/11 12:09:16PM
I would like to see Condit fight Fitch and BJ to fight Kos. I do not want to see Fitch and BJ fight again.
FastKnockout
7/3/11 1:03:06PM
I'd like to see Condit vs. Shields. Something about that fight intrigues me.
UFC_Fanatic
7/3/11 2:11:13PM

Posted by FastKnockout

I'd like to see Condit vs. Shields. Something about that fight intrigues me.

Same here. I wonder if it could have something to do with seeing if Condit has evolved enough to get redemption for his loss to shields in the ROTR tournament.
TheBlackChip
7/3/11 2:46:59PM
Fitch, BJ, Kos and Shields would all make sense for Condit I would think. But like someone else mentioned, it's more about who you don't want to see fight, and I'm not interested in a Fitch/BJ rematch, but it will probably happen anyway and Condit will get Kos or Shields.
kingsmasher
7/3/11 4:11:06PM
Lets be honest here..>As much as I like Condit hes gonna lose to the wrestlers in the division...plain and simple.....thats why he wanted no part of Fitch
bjj1605
7/3/11 6:10:22PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Lets be honest here..>As much as I like Condit hes gonna lose to the wrestlers in the division...plain and simple.....thats why he wanted no part of Fitch

like he was supposed to lost to Kim right? Kim is a strong top game grappler.

I think Condit is one of those guys who transcends wrestling.
Kpro
7/3/11 7:46:19PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by kingsmasher

like he was supposed to lost to Kim right? Kim is a strong top game grappler.

I think Condit is one of those guys who transcends wrestling.

Kim is not on the same level as a Fitch though. I too disagree with smasher saying Condit would plain and simple lose to the wrestlers in the division but at the same time, Kim compared to a Fitch attempts fewer takedowns per fight. He does it at a lower percentage of successful takedowns (not even above 50%), and way less attempted ground strikes. And that's even with those numbers very very skewed by the much higher levels of competition and better grapplers Fitch has faced. Yet Kim is still statistically annihilated in terms of every aspect of wrestling/grappling and activity on the mat.

I just don't think Kim's grappling puts him anywhere near the level of the Fitch/GSP/Kos/Shields/etc's of the division in grappling in my humble opinion so I don't think that fight showed anything we didn't already know. In case it isn't obvious, I've thought Kim has been one of the most overrated fighters in the UFC for years and I don't like how the UFC keeps trying to feed him guys who will be happy to work from their back and have a good chance to lose decisions, even though I understand the matchmaking has more than a little to do with needing a Korean star in the UFC.

Regardless, I'll be rooting for Condit in his next fight no matter who it is as he's one of my absolute favorite fighters and I hope you're right that he does transcend his opponent's wrestling because it will be a huge step up from Kim. A 1st round TKO can transcend any style though.
prozacnation1978
7/3/11 9:55:04PM
I honestly think penn vs fitch should be on hold

True number one contender
San jose. Fitch vs condit

Have penn face kos or thiago alves in vegas or houston
Lesnar1
7/3/11 10:29:13PM
I think whoever Condit gets in the future he will dismantle. After Diaz gets decisioned by GSP and when Condit ko's or subs either Fitch, Alves or Penn or whoever they put in front of him then GSP and Condit can fight and finally a guy who won't be scared to just go at it full blast with GSP. I'm not saying Diaz won't be cause for sure he'll go hard at GSP and he probably has better jiu jitsu but if he had big troubles with Paul Daley well then I think GSP will get another lobsided decision win over him. Condit is just on one hell of a role I mean look at his last 2 performances the guy is as deadly as they come and I think he could pull a Matt Serra on GSP if they meet in the future.
NaturalBornKiller92
7/4/11 1:49:15AM
I'd like to see Condit vs Koscheck. I think they'd most likely have a stand up war and give a great fight. I'm just anxious to see when Koscheck will get back in the octagon and who he will be matched up against.
Kpro
7/4/11 2:56:08AM

Posted by NaturalBornKiller92

I'm just anxious to see when Koscheck will get back in the octagon and who he will be matched up against.

Only 1 of the 8 fighters who lost a title fight to GSP took on a top 10 Welterweight in their next fight though 6 of the 8 opponents were on winning streaks about to crack the top 10.

Winner of Pyle/MacDonald or winner of Ebersole/Hallman would seem to fit the pattern as would facing Brenneman or Pierce.

I'd still rather see him and Bonnar meet around 190 though.
Wolfenstein
7/4/11 3:02:27AM
I would personally love to see BJ vs Condit next. That would be a really interesting bout, but I think there's also a huge risk involved--as, if BJ wins he's not getting another shot at GSP, which essentially puts us out of having a true #1 contender.

I guess you could go Fitch, which would be a bad matchup for Condit stylistically, although I would say the outcome could easily be determined by just how lonf the referee is going to allow Fitch to stall on the mat.

I have made it no secret, I despise Fitch's style. To me he's just not a grinder. Call it LnP, stalling, whatever...to me he's just plain not fighting. I would have no issue with him just being handed his walking papers. I think with guys like Fitch there needs to be a referee who's going to force him to be active because of his history. I think it's a shame that the fans are robbed of a bout on the main card because this guy just wants to pin opponents and do the bare minimum to keep from being stood up.
Bubbles
7/4/11 2:34:05PM
forget Condit vs Fitch (Fitch wins) or BJ or Kos. while potential fireworks could be there, it doesnt make as much sense for a guy coming off a draw or a loss to face Condit. i say winner of Ellenberger/Shields gets Condit.
Theoutlaw08
7/5/11 10:02:21AM
I think Condit should fight Fitch.....I say Condit puts Fitch in his place. Then Condit should get his shot and Fitch couldnt tell Dana and Silva, I only want to fight, GSP, BJ or Shields......