UFC boss praises Roy Nelson's durability but unsure what his future holds

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC boss praises Roy Nelson's durability but unsure what his future holds
Budgellism
2/5/12 2:57:16PM
On Saturday night in Las Vegas, Roy Nelson did what Roy Nelson does best: Walk forward, opponent be damned, and wing right hands.

And while his gutsy performance earned "Big Country" one-half of UFC 143's "Fight of the Night" bonus, the loss leaves Nelson at just 1-3 in his past four fights.

So despite earning one of the loudest welcomes of the night from the Mandalay Bay Events Center crowd, is Nelson's spot in the UFC's heavyweight division secure?

"I don't know," UFC president Dana White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "We'll see what happens. I mean the guy brings it. He comes to fight. I just – you wonder what he could do if he really, really trained and got into it."

LINK
Budgellism
2/5/12 2:58:16PM
Roy can take a shot but damn he looks pretty beat up

This image might be posted twice. The first time it wasn't showing up for me. Let me know.
Poor_Franklin
2/5/12 3:06:52PM
love that pic!

Roy needs to stay in ufc mainly bc from what i saw at the party i was at, Roy is a huge hit w/ the non hardcores bc he is recognizable, has that "Joe Schmo" syndrome w/ his fans where they know he isnt the best, but they feel he can win any fight, & he refuses to give up.

BuffaloDave
2/5/12 3:11:58PM
How can you release a guy that came out to The Boss?

I would like to see him get at least one more fight, make it against a second tier guy.
Budgellism
2/5/12 3:58:13PM
Roy is a massive hit with new fans and hardcore fans (At least from what I've seen). Cutting him would be a huge mistake. I can't remember a Nelson fight I didn't enjoy.

He might not ever win a title but he's going to test a guy every single time he comes out there.
Bubbles
2/5/12 4:27:38PM
you have to keep in mind 2 of his losses were to JDS (current champ) and Mir (former champ, perennial title challenger). it doesnt make sense to keep Barry and cut Nelson for basically being in the same boat...not to mention Barry lost to weaker competition

give him Jon Madsen next
ncordless
2/5/12 4:50:34PM
He is fighting above his level.

Roy can stick around if he can beat the lower level guys, and occasionally get a gatekeeper match, but if he fights top ten guys he is gonna keep looking like Homer Simpson.
PABLOMAFIOSO
2/5/12 5:12:09PM
I want to see if Roy can make 205. He is only 6"0 and carries a lot of fat. Rogan made out he could probably make 185 but I think that's going too far. 205 would be perfect for him IMO. Someone of the Calibre of Bonnar or Vera/Thiago would be a good test for him.
FastKnockout
2/5/12 5:26:27PM
Give the guy a break and let him fight some new blood or gatekeepers.
I-GOT-THIS-PICK
2/5/12 6:58:51PM
Nelson is a warrior,I think they should give him another fight maybe the winner between Browne and Griggs
prozacnation1978
2/5/12 8:35:39PM
I like Roy

Have him face meathead or gonzaga
That guy is tough as nails
tallica62
2/5/12 8:38:34PM
I can see Roy's brain through that cut.

Win or lose, people like him, he fights hard, and draws viewers...with that being said he won't get the pink slip yet...
Boo_Radley21
2/5/12 8:52:33PM
A chin will only get you so far in the UFC...look at Cabbage Coreirra or Jonathan Goulet
tcunningham
2/5/12 11:06:44PM
roy can be successful fighting the newcomer heavyweights. i say give him one more chance with a much lower ranked fighter, as in not any top 10 guy, and then see what happens. if he loses again its over.
bjj1605
2/6/12 3:06:52PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

A chin will only get you so far in the UFC...look at Cabbage Coreirra or Jonathan Goulet

Is that a joke? Not trying to be rude. I'm legitimately asking.

Cabbaage and Nelson have great chins bu Goulet is known for his lack-there-of.

I think Nelson should be kept around. He's hanging in there with these guys, how about giving him an easier fight?

I'd like to see him fight Big Johnson.
BuffaloDave
2/6/12 3:13:48PM

Posted by Bubbles

give him Jon Madsen next

I think he was cut right after his fight with Russow.
Bubbles
2/6/12 3:43:05PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by Bubbles

give him Jon Madsen next

I think he was cut right after his fight with Russow.

thats pretty shitty if you ask me. He is 5-1 in the UFC. they kept Al-Turk for 3 straight losses. he deserves 1 more fight at least
tn_rebel
2/6/12 7:48:31PM
I say give him Russow.
Kpro
2/6/12 7:51:48PM

Posted by tn_rebel

I say give him Russow.

That'd be a good brawl between two of the toughest in the division. I like the matchup.
Boo_Radley21
2/6/12 8:03:00PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Is that a joke? Not trying to be rude. I'm legitimately asking.

Cabbaage and Nelson have great chins bu Goulet is known for his lack-there-of.

I think Nelson should be kept around. He's hanging in there with these guys, how about giving him an easier fight?

I'd like to see him fight Big Johnson.

yes it was a joke. I am well aware of Mr. Goulet's UFC exploits
ghandikush
2/7/12 1:23:36PM
Roy Nelson is fine where he is, give him Barry Struve level competition and then another name. Maybe he could beat Kongo, its a long shot but Kongo cant hit his nuts at will past his sagging bellyfat.