UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo
Kpro
1/15/12 7:33:05AM
With his 14th-straight victory in the featherweight division, UFC champ Jose Aldo (21-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC) is beginning to run out of possible opponents at 145 pounds.

Sure, there's a few names making their way up the ranks right now, but is it time for Aldo to make the move up to lightweight in search of greater challenges?

UFC president Dana White said he's just fine with Aldo staying put at featherweight, but he certainly won't stand in the way if the champ decides to move up in weight.

"People have been asking me about Jose Aldo moving up to 155 pounds to take on Frankie Edgar or some of the top guys there," White said at Saturday night's post-UFC 142 press conference at the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro. "That's up to him. He's going to have to make that decision whether he wants to make that move or not.

"I would have no problem with him staying at his weight now and defending his title there or moving to 155 pounds – whatever he feels like he wants to do."

LINK
airkerma
1/15/12 10:45:34AM
Aldo is an amazing fighter, I would love to see him try to hold both titles. That said, he seems like a total wackadoodle.
Manak
1/15/12 11:06:00AM
dont see much else for him to do other than move up to 155
Twenty20Dollars
1/15/12 12:03:05PM
I think here has a few more fights at 145 and then by that time 155 can clear up some.
Budgellism
1/15/12 12:15:36PM
If they wanted to put an Aldo vs. Edgar match together I'm not going to argue
Sir_Karl
1/15/12 1:11:56PM
I hope he does move to 155lbs so I can finally see his luck run out. I think he is overrated and I think that everyone feels he is so great because of the lack of serious competition in the 145lb division. I think he will get wrecked in the 155lb division. I hope he moves up and gets whooped.
Manak
1/15/12 1:50:38PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

I hope he does move to 155lbs so I can finally see his luck run out. I think he is overrated and I think that everyone feels he is so great because of the lack of serious competition in the 145lb division. I think he will get wrecked in the 155lb division. I hope he moves up and gets whooped.

how is he overrated?? he has beat everyone they have put in front of him and did it convincingly. its not like they were close fights, they were all one sided, not to mention anderson has said if aldo ought at 185 he would retire, i know they are friends and he could just be saying that but still thats a huge complement for the best fighter on the planet
loonytnt
1/15/12 2:08:59PM
only thing i dont like about this is..The 145 class would have to wait for a title shot. If Aldo won the 155 belt, that class would have to wait. What if Aldo holds both belts and gets hurt? As a fan i would LOVE to see it but hope it works out well
Twenty20Dollars
1/15/12 2:24:59PM

Posted by loonytnt

only thing i dont like about this is..The 145 class would have to wait for a title shot. If Aldo won the 155 belt, that class would have to wait. What if Aldo holds both belts and gets hurt? As a fan i would LOVE to see it but hope it works out well

make interim belts if needed.
BuffaloDave
1/15/12 3:09:40PM

Posted by loonytnt

I highly doubt Aldo would still be the FW champ, if he decided to move to the LW division, I think it would be a permanent move for him, not a fight here or there like Silva does at LHW.

The UFC would most likely just hold a tourney for the FW title if/when Aldo makes the jump.
DrivenDavies15
1/15/12 3:15:27PM
I think Aldo is ready anytime for the move to 155 and bout with Edgar would be awesome but i'm hoping he defends his belt once or twice more at 145 because of how crowded the 155 title picture is already. That being said I don't see ANYONE being a legit threat to his title in the near future, so my guess is that we see him move up sooner rather than later. Porier, KZ and Alcantara would be fun to see for Aldo left still.
prophecy033
1/15/12 3:41:49PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

how do you REALLY feel? I feel these comments are

If Aldo were to move up, I don't think Dana would let him hold both belts, even if he wanted to. Dana doesn't want to hold up any divisions more then they already are with injuries.

Bubbles
1/15/12 4:52:02PM
Aldo vs Melendez for #1 LW contender match.
Aldo vs Nate Diaz would also be an interesting fight
Aether
1/15/12 4:57:38PM
I would like to see him at 155 for my own selfish gain (good fights) but for his career I would say staying at 145 and dominating is probably the better choice if he can continue making the cut.

I think he would be very successful still at 155, but I don't think he could be the dominant force that he is at 145. I think I would pick him to beat Edgar if the fight was set up right now, but it would be a tough call, lots of unanswered questions.
ncordless
1/15/12 5:09:20PM
Now is not the time. He lost some size for this fight, and looked more like he had in the WEC because of it. If he was gonna move to 155, they should have done it last year. If he isn't having a problem with the cut anymore, then there is no reason to make the jump except for competition level. 145 will be full of challengers within the year.
tcunningham
1/15/12 11:09:06PM
i think 145 is were aldo keeps his record alive. he is very capable of beating some top LW's but i dont see winning both titles. i would love to see him fight bendo, guida, maynard (i know they are buddies now but fuck it.), and most of all diaz, just to see if diaz can get into aldo's head. even cerrone would be a good fight.
bjj1605
1/15/12 11:47:45PM
If Anderson Silva retires, Aldo will be the new #1 P4P.

I'm pretty sure he could dominate 99% of the LW's if not all of them.

I think he'd definitely beat Frankie Edgar.
UFC_Fanatic
1/16/12 3:42:58AM

Posted by bjj1605

I think Aldo's a beast and he is my number 2 P4P fighter behind only Silva, and he has been my #2 over GSP even before the WEC was absorbed by the UFC.

Aldo poses too many stylistic problems for Edgar to be able to deal with. Edgar's footwork and wrestling would become a moot point after eating a few of Aldo's leg kicks. Aldo, like Jones, and Like Silva, just seems to be so much further along as a fighter than everyone they fight. Also like Jones, he's still young, so he probably hasn't even finished growing as a fighter and will likely only continue to improve. This dude is a beast, and he isn't going to be going away anytime soon.
kingsmasher
1/16/12 11:53:42AM

Posted by bjj1605

This is insane...

Aldo aint beating a good boxer.....Aldo is speed but a good boxer will beat speed...

Aldo is benefitting from weak opponents...This isnt anywhere like the 205 division where guys are well rounded...

Look at Aldos opponents...Faber he fast and gives up reach...Like Mendes...Faber stands in front...Mike Brown....Well Brown beats Faber so why is this fight happening...Hominick? Come on Man...Its just a flat week division...

And be honest Aldograbs the cage which was a chance for Mendes to score with a TD...I am guessing he gets the TD by the way the fence was grabbed...

Aldo facing guys who can muscle him more at LW...LMAO...Florian wasnt a tough challenge but he went the distance....Florian gets demolished by about 4 guys at LW...

To sit here and think Aldo will walk in the LW and beat the "Champion" after Aldo didnt finish or really do much against Florian is someone who just LOVES Aldo...I give him his props but he was taken down by Hominick...
BuffaloDave
1/16/12 12:13:07PM

Posted by bjj1605

I'm pretty sure there's still GSP and JBJ that would still be ahead of him in those rankings. They have just beat better quality opponents.

In noway does Aldo DOMINATE the LW division, that is the most stacked division in the UFC, not saying he wouldn't do good, but I don't think he dominates, a lot of the fights would be a lot closer than you think.

He might have took it to Mendes, but we still have yet to see if he fixed those cardio issues.
airkerma
1/16/12 2:37:18PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by bjj1605

This is insane...

Aldo aint beating a good boxer.....Aldo is speed but a good boxer will beat speed...

Aldo is benefitting from weak opponents...This isnt anywhere like the 205 division where guys are well rounded...

Look at Aldos opponents...Faber he fast and gives up reach...Like Mendes...Faber stands in front...Mike Brown....Well Brown beats Faber so why is this fight happening...Hominick? Come on Man...Its just a flat week division...

And be honest Aldograbs the cage which was a chance for Mendes to score with a TD...I am guessing he gets the TD by the way the fence was grabbed...

Aldo facing guys who can muscle him more at LW...LMAO...Florian wasnt a tough challenge but he went the distance....Florian gets demolished by about 4 guys at LW...

To sit here and think Aldo will walk in the LW and beat the "Champion" after Aldo didnt finish or really do much against Florian is someone who just LOVES Aldo...I give him his props but he was taken down by Hominick...

"Aldo aint beating a good boxer": Exactly where do you draw this conclusion from? He beat a good kick boxer and devastates with his stand up. He beat Florian, who going into the Gomi fight stated that he was shifting his standup to 80-20 in favor of boxing over Thai.
What makes FW weak? Aldo crushing his opponents is the only metric you have to call the division weak, if he was to lose a fight, all of a sudden the division would be stacked. FW is stronger than HW, LHW, and MW.
What does Hominick taking him down in the 5th round when he had flu like symptoms the day before? He took him down and brutalized him the previous 4 rounds.
I wouldn't say he would walk through everyone at LW, but most of the reasoning you used didn't really make sense.
UFC_Fanatic
1/16/12 5:44:22PM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by bjj1605

This is insane...

"Aldo aint beating a good boxer": Exactly where do you draw this conclusion from? He beat a good kick boxer and devastates with his stand up. He beat Florian, who going into the Gomi fight stated that he was shifting his standup to 80-20 in favor of boxing over Thai.
What makes FW weak? Aldo crushing his opponents is the only metric you have to call the division weak, if he was to lose a fight, all of a sudden the division would be stacked. FW is stronger than HW, LHW, and MW.
What does Hominick taking him down in the 5th round when he had flu like symptoms the day before? He took him down and brutalized him the previous 4 rounds.
I wouldn't say he would walk through everyone at LW, but most of the reasoning you used didn't really make sense.

Yeah, I think it is ridiculous to call the FW division weak. If you ask me, both MW and FW get a bad rap for some reason as weak divisions. Let's assume for a second that we are in an alternate reality where Aldo doesn't exist, or at the very least, chose soccer over MMA. All of a sudden the FW division is a very competitive division. Do the same thing with the MW division and Anderson, and possibly Sonnen as well, and all of a sudden that division is very competitive. The reason the division looks weak is because of the difference in skill between the guy sitting atop the division and everyone else in the division.
bjj1605
1/16/12 11:04:18PM
Its insane to call FW weak or to call Aldo's opponent's weak.

He just crushes people. Same as Anderson.

When you have one guy who's that much better than everyone else...well it makes them look bad.

Gives Jones a little while and people will call LHW weak.

Also at Jones being above Aldo in the P4P Rankings. People in MMA always let hype override sense.