Who is the most boring fighter in mma?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Who is the most boring fighter in mma?
Next Page »
POLL: most boring
Tim Sylvia 37% (18)
Josh Koschek 33% (16)
Tito Ortiz 6% (3)
Shawn Sherk 12% (6)
Ricardo Arona 8% (4)
Lyoto Machida 4% (2)
ncordless
8/15/07 3:46:07PM
Who is the most boring fighter in mma?

My vote goes for Blanket.
thepunisher
8/15/07 3:53:21PM
I got TIMMAY

you should have Lindland up there
fullerene
8/15/07 3:58:58PM
I don't have a problem with most of those guys. They use what they have, which is a lmited skill set. I blame some of them for not developing a well-rounded game--the "boring" part is just the end-product. Kos I blame for stinking out the Sanchez fight since he was the only one who could take it to the ground, but other than that he's done what his skill level has allowed him to do.

The one exception to that is Arona. The guy is almost an oxymoron. How can the Abu-Dhabi absolute champion not be a threat to submit anyone? In that case I'll say that he really is fighting not to lose and sacrificing a lot of clean finishes (and excitement) in the process. I think he's boring.
cowcatcher
8/15/07 4:02:15PM
thats a great take on the question fullerene, ive got to agree that out of the bunch its arona, not that i dont like the guy, hes a great fighter, but i want to see him finish someone with a sub once in awhile.
pv3Hpv3p
8/15/07 4:08:20PM
I went with Kos, but I like where you guys are going with the Arona thing... He does have some sick ground skills, and doesn't seem to ever put them to use... Whereas Kos is a wrestler first, and uses that to his advantage as much as possible (albeit boring as hell sometimes)... Godd point, you guys got me willing to change my vote over to Arona.

Side note: I would agree that BigTim has looked aweful in his last few fights, but I can't help but give him a little credit for all the KO's earlier in his carreer
Jackelope
8/15/07 4:17:37PM
You're missing Rashad Evans up there
the-james
8/15/07 4:36:42PM
Out of the choices i had a hard time deciding between Koscheck and Arona both are very talented guys Arona more so than Koscheck but the styles of fighting they use can be porteayed as very boring correctly so. In the end i went with koscheck not only because of his lay & pray/playing it safe style he uses but mostly because of the fight with Diego, ive seen alot of mma fights ufc, pride everything and this is the fight that pissed me off the most in the 5 years ive been watching mma, neither fighter wanted to fight and would not exchange anything but jabs it really was a joke of a fight and Koscheck ended up with the decision because he landed a couple of jab. That qualafies him as a boring fighter along with his boring lay and pray fights with Jeff Joslin, Fickett etc
kofranklin
8/15/07 4:48:48PM
I think Tim Sylvia is by far the most boring fighter.
LR
8/15/07 4:51:29PM
Wow, that poll is horrible. I actually have no problem with most of those fighters. I would say most idiots who don't understand MMA would say Sherk because of his ground game, but he moves and is always actively trying to get body position. Sylvia was horribly boring against Assuerio, but who hasn't been boring against Assuerio. Rashad Evans should be up there, but honestly, nobody up there has had a lengthy amount of boring fights that I can think of.
cowcatcher
8/15/07 4:53:28PM

Posted by LR

Wow, that poll is horrible. I actually have no problem with most of those fighters. I would say most idiots who don't understand MMA would say Sherk because of his ground game, but he moves and is always actively trying to get body position. Sylvia was horribly boring against Assuerio, but who hasn't been boring against Assuerio. Rashad Evans should be up there, but honestly, nobody up there has had a lengthy amount of boring fights that I can think of.

the sylvia vs silva fight wasnt that boring to me since that was the poop pants incident and me and my friends noticed the skidmark right away
peachfuzzz1305
8/15/07 5:01:14PM
Antonio McKee
Twenty20Dollars
8/15/07 5:05:13PM
justin mccully
TOMMYAYO05
8/15/07 5:36:05PM
Sean Sherk out of this list is by far the most boring and imo the most boring EVER!!!
cowcatcher
8/15/07 5:37:11PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

justin mccully

thats not a bad call, although i havent seen a ton of him
Ultimate_fighter
8/15/07 6:10:48PM
Spelled Sean wrong,
Tim is not cool...
juanez13
8/15/07 6:29:41PM
arona and sherk shouldnt be there....
Mastodon2
8/15/07 6:57:18PM
I went for Tito, his style puts me to sleep!

I actually enjoy watching big Tim fight, but only because he makes a good target!
MoJoy
8/15/07 7:08:33PM
Did you ever think Arona has this way of fighting, cause he only fights the best of the best. I would not call him boring,

Boring is Tito and Sherk. I dont like Sylvia, but how can he be the most boring. Their are a lot of fights, involving him that get played over and over. Who the hell is gonna watch a Sherk fight again, and Tito for all that talk and hype, is a boring ass fighter. I think Josh Barnett is damn boring.
StorminYourman
8/15/07 7:10:05PM
Big Tim as of late. Should have Lindland there the guy is a top 5 middleweight and doesn't compete in the big shows anymore because he is so boring
cmill21
8/15/07 7:27:05PM
Sherk by far. He's strong and can hold people there for 5 rounds, you'd think he'd be able to pull some sort of gnp tko, but nope he can't.
masodd
8/15/07 8:08:51PM
tim sylvia,sean sherk,and jake o'brien
ncordless
8/15/07 9:04:39PM

Posted by LR

I chose this list from fighters that are known for not finishing their fights. All the fighters up there I have seen getting trashed over the internet as boring. The purpose of this poll is to start a discussion about the fighters and whether they are boring or not.

As far as claiming that I don't know about wrestling as part of the ground game is funny. I assure you I understand it very well. Yes Sherk works to achieve top position and then to pass guard, but that ain't gonna finish a fight on it's own. Neither will rubbing your elbows on your opponents face, except by cut. I guess I just don't see those kind of tactics as exciting in mma.
hippysmacker
8/15/07 9:21:01PM

Posted by peachfuzzz1305

Antonio McKee

Agreed. he is th eking of the take down and LNP IMO. On the list Machida is the only one who would remotely make this type of list, and that's only if he fights another guy with a similar style. put him in there against someone who's coming forward, and you've got a good fight
zephead
8/15/07 9:29:53PM
I love watching Sherk fight. Dude is always moving. 34% of his fights end in decisions. He is 32-2-1. He has 8(T)KO's. With 13 subs and 11 decisions.

Tito is 15-5-1. with 33% of his fights ending in decisions. He has 8(T)KO's. with 2 subs and 5 decisions.

Arona goes to a decision 61% of the time. He has 2 (T)KO's with 3 subs and 8 decisions.

Josh is 9-1. 44% of his fights go to a decision. He has 1 (T)KO. With 4 subs and 4 decisions.

People voting for Big Tim just blow me away. Only 21% of his fights go to a decision. He has 16 (T)KO's and 2 subs. 5 of his fights have gone to a decison. He finishes almost 80% of his fights and people call him boring
He last fight 3 fights weren't the best, but come on. Dude finishes almost 80% of his fights. Who is better at finishing????
Bass
8/15/07 10:11:13PM
Kos i think.......lay and pray thats all he does, an dont even get me started on the diego fight. sherk style is a little boring also but unlike kos he is very active on the ground constantly improving positions. tim's last couple of fights have been a little boring, blame it on the belt. to scared to lose. now that he is in the hunt again expect him to be very dangerous.
puppetmaster837
8/16/07 12:36:31AM

Posted by zephead

I love watching Sherk fight. Dude is always moving. 34% of his fights end in decisions. He is 32-2-1. He has 8(T)KO's. With 13 subs and 11 decisions.

Tito is 15-5-1. with 33% of his fights ending in decisions. He has 8(T)KO's. with 2 subs and 5 decisions.

Arona goes to a decision 61% of the time. He has 2 (T)KO's with 3 subs and 8 decisions.

Josh is 9-1. 44% of his fights go to a decision. He has 1 (T)KO. With 4 subs and 4 decisions.

People voting for Big Tim just blow me away. Only 21% of his fights go to a decision. He has 16 (T)KO's and 2 subs. 5 of his fights have gone to a decison. He finishes almost 80% of his fights and people call him boring
He last fight 3 fights weren't the best, but come on. Dude finishes almost 80% of his fights. Who is better at finishing????

Gilbert Yvel is better at finishing
ncordless
8/16/07 12:45:11AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by peachfuzzz1305

Antonio McKee

Agreed. he is th eking of the take down and LNP IMO. On the list Machida is the only one who would remotely make this type of list, and that's only if he fights another guy with a similar style. put him in there against someone who's coming forward, and you've got a good fight

Yeah, McKee would've been there if I had more space in the pole, Lindlund too. And Pedro Rizzo.

As far as putting someone in against Machida thats coming forward, true. Putting someone in against anyone thats always coming forward is going to lively up the fight for sure.
juanez13
8/16/07 7:22:29PM
i would have to go with tito, not because he doesnt finish his fight, but beacuse he talks so much trash but never backs up what he says he will do,,,,,,
AmericanFighterAce
8/16/07 10:24:53PM

Posted by LR

Tim Slyvia, has some exciting matches, Him vs. Andrei never failed, Frank Mir/Tim Slyvia match was exciting (the whole 49 seconds) he has lack luster fights occasionally, but some fighters do.

If you sit there and say Sherk is boring, your stupid plain and put. Sure he does not flash his submission, ground and pound, stand up skills like he should, but thats not what the guys strength is, same with Koscheck, these men are phenominal at WRESTLING, and holding men down. That is not boring, to see someones strength. Watching Sherk Manhandle Hermes was phenominal, it was a beautfiul act of wrestling at its finest and people calling that a boring fight is completely ridiculous.

I agree Evans should be up there, he has only won one exciting fight against Jason Lambert.

But calling Sherk boring, is ridiculous.
The_Grim_Reaper
8/16/07 10:37:32PM
tim sylvia as of lately ...its like after he became champion he just intended to stay champion by basically using his height and reach advatage to just jab people for 5 rounds hes a counter - jabber....and arona isnt boring he fights the best of the best and his fights are usually wars
Pages: [1] 2