What books are you reading at the moment?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » What books are you reading at the moment?
« Previous Page | Next Page »
hippysmacker
2/13/07 6:13:50PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

If you like Dorsey , I think you'll love Elmore Leonard. Tarantino made one of his books Jacky Brown into a movie, and Get Shorty and Out of sight are also books of his that have been made into movies

Thanks for the tip, always looking for good suggestions...

Ever read any Carl Hiaasan? I'd put him in a similar genre... Tourist Season was a classic.

Didn't he write the kids novel " Hoot" that was made into a movie?
pv3Hpv3p
2/13/07 6:40:39PM
Ya that was him... He actually wrote the book "Striptease" as well, before it was made in to the timeless classic w/ Demi Moore...
hippysmacker
2/13/07 6:49:44PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Ya that was him... He actually wrote the book "Striptease" as well, before it was made in to the timeless classic w/ Demi Moore...

Striptease.....Hoot..... He seems pretty diverse
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/13/07 11:16:21PM
Read Perfume by Patrick Suskind.

Really crazy and entertaining!

Gogoplata
2/14/07 12:43:28AM

Posted by ffforgottenx

im reading 'The Dark Tower' by Stephen King.. its like a fantasy/horror/sci-fi epic.. its a seven part series about the journey of a gunslinger named Roland through a world that has "moved on" (meaning bean destroyed and changed) to reach his ultimate goal, the Dark Tower, the nexus of all universes. His journey takes him through many lands, through time, through dimensions, and there are lots of awesome characters that he meets along the way..

like I said, its a 7 part series, and I'm only on book 4.. but I haven't been able to put them down.. very good read..

also recommend 'the talisman' and 'black house' by stephen king and peter straub.. it kind of ties into the dark tower, but its a whole seperate story in itself, and its a very good read also..

Unbelievable series of books. King's crowning achievement. I have read all 7 and some of them more than once. Last Tuesday a Dark Tower comic was released, part of a 7 issue series that follows Roland through his trial to become a gunslinger. Plot and story by King, art by Jae Lee, writing by Joe Quesada. GREAT STUFF.

As for what I am reading right now, I am reading three different books at the moment. "The Last Amateurs" by John Feinstein about mid-major college basketball programs and their struggle to compete with the Dukes and North Carolinas of the world.

Also reading Lisey's Story by Stephen King, have only read a few pages so not quite sure what to expect as of yet.

And finally, The Walking Dead trade hardcover from Image Comics. A zombie graphic novel. Truly excellent.
Svartorm
2/14/07 2:43:41AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Bitter Glory - Author??? - It's a book about the history and struggle of Poland between the end of the WW1 and the beggining of WW2.

So, you've read about this guy?

Hes like the meaner, more grizzled, Polish version of Don Frye.

Good ups on Pilsudski... Didn't think anybody would through that out there...

Although I'm not Polish, I get sick of people making fun of the Polish over WW2, and like to bring up things like the Battle of Komarow to show exactly how much balls the Polish had in that era, and why they'd charge tanks with horses.
pv3Hpv3p
2/14/07 11:35:52AM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Bitter Glory - Author??? - It's a book about the history and struggle of Poland between the end of the WW1 and the beggining of WW2.

So, you've read about this guy?

Hes like the meaner, more grizzled, Polish version of Don Frye.

Good ups on Pilsudski... Didn't think anybody would through that out there...

Although I'm not Polish, I get sick of people making fun of the Polish over WW2, and like to bring up things like the Battle of Komarow to show exactly how much balls the Polish had in that era, and why they'd charge tanks with horses.

I think anyone has to admit that it takes some balls to ride out on horseback against tanks, basically excepting your own death, as appose to surrendering.

Now that I think of it CC 1st UFC fight was kind of similar Well I guess Eddie did a little more running than standing and fighting (not that I blame him)

A lot of people say a lot of things, but the Polish are a very proud people (as are most slavic nations), and just to toot my nationalistic horn a little:

Poland was the 1st country to be occupied during WWII and the only occupied country not to surrender or set up a Nazi controled puppet government. Both my grandfathers and many great uncles served in WWII, and I beleive it is a testement to the fortitude of my people. Sorry to get a little preachy.
loller90278
2/14/07 6:16:33PM
wow i jus got gates of fire thru the mail today and i can't put it down

very very very nice read.
well done steven pressfield, well done.
Svartorm
2/14/07 7:56:01PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

A lot of people say a lot of things, but the Polish are a very proud people (as are most slavic nations), and just to toot my nationalistic horn a little:

Poland was the 1st country to be occupied during WWII and the only occupied country not to surrender or set up a Nazi controled puppet government. Both my grandfathers and many great uncles served in WWII, and I beleive it is a testement to the fortitude of my people. Sorry to get a little preachy.

My Grandfather and Grandmother on my Mothers side both served. My Grandfather flew a C-47 over the Himalayas during the Pacific Campaign and picked up supplies in India. My Grandmother was a nurse in California and worked in rehabilition for wounded soldiers.

I have huge respect for anyone who served in WW2, and love talking with vets from that conflict.
Billy_Soup
2/14/07 9:26:12PM
I am guessing anyone that is looking at this thread likes to read, and I found a great site about reading
http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/

basically you put in the books you like, and based on your list it compares it to other peoples lists and gives you a list of books that you might like. Works awesome. Almost everytime i try it it comes up with a list that contains a book that I have already read and liked.

As for what I am reading

Currently reading Man in Full by Tom Wolfe. just started it so can't really coment..
Just finished Mario Puzu's Family. it was finished by his wife and is definetly not his best but still a good read.
Also just finished Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice from the vampire chronicles. Not her best either but still a good read.
pv3Hpv3p
2/15/07 12:44:07PM

Posted by Billy_Soup

I am guessing anyone that is looking at this thread likes to read, and I found a great site about reading
http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/

basically you put in the books you like, and based on your list it compares it to other peoples lists and gives you a list of books that you might like. Works awesome. Almost everytime i try it it comes up with a list that contains a book that I have already read and liked.

As for what I am reading

Currently reading Man in Full by Tom Wolfe. just started it so can't really coment..
Just finished Mario Puzu's Family. it was finished by his wife and is definetly not his best but still a good read.
Also just finished Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice from the vampire chronicles. Not her best either but still a good read.

Thanks, that's a great website... I'm constantly asking people for suggestions, and this site is perfect (it seems)

WAR 'THE ROCKERS'!!!
loller90278
2/17/07 1:51:46PM
i just finished gates of fire
and let me tell you..
my nipples got as hard as my c*ck when i read the ending
Svartorm
2/18/07 4:42:27AM
Glad you liked it bro. Check out Virtue of War, or whatever its called. Its by the same guy, but its about Alexander the Great.
xchickox
2/18/07 9:54:07AM
needful things by stephen king
loller90278
2/19/07 9:33:05PM
anybody know any good books on attila the hun ?
Cary_Stayner
2/19/07 11:43:18PM
Anything with words....
Svartorm
2/20/07 12:22:51AM

Posted by loller90278

anybody know any good books on attila the hun ?

The Huns is supposed to be one of the better books on the subject.

Theres a newer book out now as well called The Night Attila Died, which is supposed to be a good read as well.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/20/07 4:02:56AM
why read books when you can play them??

Pick up a controller kids!

Oblivion(X360)...
The Longest Journey..(PC)..
Dreamfall:The Longest Journey (PC/XBOX)(Sequel to The Longest Journey)
Half Life (PC)
Resident Evil 4
Splinter Cell 1-4

Books..
Svartorm
2/21/07 2:49:14AM
How is the sequel to Longest Journey? I liked the first one a lot.

I refuse to play another Elderscrolls game. WAAAAAAY too much time spent on them already, even though they're awesome.
loller90278
5/3/07 6:33:12PM
i just finished "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole.

it's a must read for any intelligent person! + very funny
warglory
5/3/07 7:49:28PM
I have been on a Friedman kick lately. That man and I share ideologies, so I really dig his work.
MethodMan
5/4/07 7:26:32AM
Gurrila Jujitsu - which is how to combine judo takedowns with BJJ ground fighting, it includes a chapter on flying attacks with some good advice.

Fuedobakedo, way of the exploding pen - funny comic strips on martial arts

The last wrestlers - Marcus Trower travels around the world to explore how various culture view the grappling arts, very good read.
Mastodon2
5/4/07 11:03:30AM
Im Currently Reading the Ultramarines Omnibus, on the bok "Nightbringer" atm.

Fantastic books, so much pace and action, but it never gets repetitive because the characters are so well developed and the books stick very closely to the Warhammer 40,000 lore
pv3Hpv3p
5/4/07 2:33:40PM
Anybody read any Lee Child? He writes these "Jack Breacher" novels that I have heard a lot of people talk about...

I just picked up his first one (at least it seems like his first one as far as I can tell) it's called "Killing Floor"... Only a couple of chapeters in, but so far so good
loller90278
5/15/07 3:29:30AM
i just finished "the metamorphosis" by franz kafka..

its alright, a little too abstract for me.

im currently reading "a heartbreaking work of staggering genius"

so far so good mates
We_Todd_Did
5/15/07 4:31:45AM
The Elegant Universe:Superstrings,hidden dimensions, and the quest for the ultimate theory by Brian Greene
.....God I'm a freakin geek.But if you ever want to actually tie your own brain in a knot, this makes an excellent tool for the job.It actually HURTS to think about at times.
loller90278
5/15/07 2:11:23PM

Posted by We_Todd_Did

The Elegant Universe:Superstrings,hidden dimensions, and the quest for the ultimate theory by Brian Greene
.....God I'm a freakin geek.But if you ever want to actually tie your own brain in a knot, this makes an excellent tool for the job.It actually HURTS to think about at times.

i shall look up this book, and then you shall give it to me gypsy.
JWest12
5/24/07 12:18:28AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Everyone should read the wheel of time series by Robert Jordan IMO. If you don't like it, you can kick Tito in the crotch.

It is a great series, i cant wait until the last one comes out. Another good series is the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. I also like Terry Brooks and his Elfstones books.
loller90278
5/24/07 2:03:10AM
jus finished heartbraeking work of staggering genius good book!

im now workin on "welcome to the monkey class" by kurt vonnegut
Northrend
5/24/07 3:33:23AM
I'm reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring.
Pages: 1 [2] 3