What books are you reading at the moment?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » What books are you reading at the moment?
Next Page »
nate22
2/7/07 9:01:30AM
Add a synopsis to give an idea about them also.
hippysmacker
2/7/07 10:49:06AM
I'm reading "the shadow's of God" by greg Keyes right now. It's a historical fiction fantasy novel. It's the 4th book in the age of unreson series, Basically it takes place in the early 1700's and has a whole bunch of real historical figures in a what if scenario of science vs the paranormal. The idea that Isacc Newton discovered a substance called pholosopher's mercury that allow's science to jump ahead a couple of hundred years and technology takes off early, but there's groups of angels trying to hild mankind back from discovering things that make them challenge God and them. Some of the Angels/demons want to destroy mankind, other's just want to slow them down. A lot of famous historical figures like Newton, Ben Franklin,Voltaire, Peter the great, King charles of Sweden the 7th, Cotton Mather,louis the 14th,Blackbeard, and many other's . Full of lot's of political intrigue , secret society's, plot twist as well. Great read, interesting idea.

Just finished Rereading "Legend" by David Gemmel. Heroic fanatsy with one of the greatest character's ever wriiten IMO. My signature the iron code is what he lives by. Don't want to give it away just read it if you like this genre.

SICKRICK
2/7/07 11:27:07AM
THE OUTSIDERS i have probably read this book 100 times.. but i have not read it in about8 years.. and i am ready DR. SUESS with my newborn baby daughter..
nate22
2/7/07 11:31:32AM
I always end up reading more than one at same time,

I'm reading Eddo Bravo's BJJ book which is pretty interesting and there are alot of innovative BJJ moves and transitions that i've never seen before, focusing on no gi grappling. Good foreword also.

A book about the rise of Asian economics, I got it for 50p from charity shop and it's pretty good but pretty hardcore economics I don't really know much about, so been struggling with this one although it is written pretty well and there's alot of interesting content about how Japan adapted to WW2 and there role in computer chips at silicon valley.

How to play poker like a pro by Phil Hellmuth. The first chapters really helped for online play, just by sticking to a basic strategy he gives a great insight on how to play in online games and tourneys and as the book advancing it has added alot of more complicated plays for advanced moves but i've not had a chance to implement them in to play yet so who knows. Really good read as is Mike Caro's book too.

Then just one on Charlie Kray who was the Twins older brother, focuses alot on the Reggie and Ronnie so it is always quite eventful, other than that it's not very good and i'm probably not going to get to the end, a better book if anybody is interested in the Krays is the cult of violence by John Pearsons.
FLAMarlins35
2/7/07 11:57:31AM
the alex rider series

he's a 14 year old boy but still, i love them
ffforgottenx
2/7/07 12:44:09PM
im reading 'The Dark Tower' by Stephen King.. its like a fantasy/horror/sci-fi epic.. its a seven part series about the journey of a gunslinger named Roland through a world that has "moved on" (meaning bean destroyed and changed) to reach his ultimate goal, the Dark Tower, the nexus of all universes. His journey takes him through many lands, through time, through dimensions, and there are lots of awesome characters that he meets along the way..

like I said, its a 7 part series, and I'm only on book 4.. but I haven't been able to put them down.. very good read..

also recommend 'the talisman' and 'black house' by stephen king and peter straub.. it kind of ties into the dark tower, but its a whole seperate story in itself, and its a very good read also..
roadking95th
2/7/07 1:31:29PM
I am reading two books at this time, I usually am reading more than one. They are "The Spartans, The World of the Warrios-Heroes of Ancient Greece" and "Alexander The Great." Both are by Paul Cartledge, who does a fine job writing history.
madmarck
2/7/07 1:41:04PM
Im reading Some Book about Canadians in the Korean War. I dont recall the title but it is pretty old and good. I bought it from a sale the library had.
And for school
Their Eyes were watching God. Chick Book. Refer to your Girlfriends. (i cant stand this shit.)
Svartorm
2/7/07 6:12:28PM

Posted by roadking95th

I am reading two books at this time, I usually am reading more than one. They are "The Spartans, The World of the Warrios-Heroes of Ancient Greece" and "Alexander The Great." Both are by Paul Cartledge, who does a fine job writing history.

Check out Gates of Fire if you haven't already. Best book I've ever read.
JunCTion
2/7/07 7:39:24PM
i'm not a very fast readerand between this site, ufc, pride, mma weekly, mma news, mma dvds i don't have time for books
Bosco
2/7/07 8:34:54PM
I recently finished Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis the singer for Red Hot Chili Peppers. They are one of my fave bands and I saw them for the first time last September. This book is an amazing read. Wether you liike RHCP or not he has lived an unbelievable life and doesn't hold back on the details. Hard to believe he has survived.

I am now reading Hollywood Causes Cancer The Tom Green Story. Pretty self explanatory
crimethinc
2/8/07 1:13:31AM
I'm currently reading "Make Your Own Damn Movie" by Lloyd Kaufman for about the fourth time. Lloyd is president of Troma Films, the oldest independent film studio still in existence, and director of such gems like the Toxic Avenger, Terror Firmer, and the upcoming Poultrygeist. His films are known for there super low budgets and schlocky horror effects and storylines. It's supposed to be an instructional book about how to make your own damn movie but he spends most of his time talking about his 30+ years in the film business making movies for half of one percent of most hollywood budgets.

I'm also reading "The Pirate Hunter" by William Zacks. It's the true story of Captain Kidd, one of the most notorious pirates in history who was actually a privateer commissioned by England to attack any pirate and non-English trade ships. I read almost no fiction books at all.
Svartorm
2/8/07 1:23:22AM
Poor Captain Kidd.

Thats how royalty does things though, and they got what they deserved out of it, although Kidd ended up paying for it.
hippysmacker
2/8/07 2:54:26AM
read the ouitsider's when I was kid , great book
read the Hellmuth book when I first got into poker about 3 years ago. Taught me a lot , especially pot odds, which helped me win a couple of tournaments
Dark tower is definately King's best work IMO. " you have forgotten the face of your father ffforgottenx" JK

sfhdsa
2/8/07 3:46:56AM
I've got 3 books on the go right now.

Hey Rube by Hunter S. Thompson. A collection of his ESPN columns.

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk. A bunch of writers are brought together by this guy in the hopes of writing great liturature. Needles to say things don't go as planned. Pretty cool concept for a novel because Palahniuk puts in short stories written by the characters in with the actual story.

Diet for a New America by John Robbins. A pretty strong argument for vegetarianism. Better than what peta does anyway.
Svartorm
2/8/07 4:32:25AM

Posted by sfhdsa

Better than what peta does anyway.

Thats not exactly glowing praise.
ffforgottenx
2/8/07 12:05:50PM

Posted by hippysmacker

read the ouitsider's when I was kid , great book
read the Hellmuth book when I first got into poker about 3 years ago. Taught me a lot , especially pot odds, which helped me win a couple of tournaments
Dark tower is definately King's best work IMO. " you have forgotten the face of your father ffforgottenx" JK

hahahaha i didnt see that coming bro
but i agree, definately one of his best, if not his best
pv3Hpv3p
2/8/07 3:58:23PM
The Janson Directive - Robert Ludlum - Just a ho-hum spy novel, guy makes an improbable hostage rescue, gets stabbed in the back by the government, and spends the rest of the time clearing his name... Ludlum always keeps it interesting even if he is a little transparent at times.

The Hammerhead Ranch Motel - Tim Dorsey - This guy is a blast to read if you like fiction... Good dark comedy, violence, intertwining plot lines, and very easy to read... He kinda writes like tarentino's Pulp Fiction watches.

A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving - I guess it's a classic, that a friend suggested... I've been reading it on and off for a few months now and have not been able to get into it... As far as I can tell it's about a rich kid and his midget buddy with a wierd voice, I'm sure it gets better, just a slow read in the beggining.

Bitter Glory - Author??? - It's a book about the history and struggle of Poland between the end of the WW1 and the beggining of WW2.
pv3Hpv3p
2/8/07 3:59:57PM

Posted by SICKRICK

THE OUTSIDERS i have probably read this book 100 times.. but i have not read it in about8 years.. and i am ready DR. SUESS with my newborn baby daughter..

Many happy wishes, congrats
OchoCinco
2/9/07 12:48:18AM
The partner by John Grisham
Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter(movie now titled Shooter)
Fantasy Land by Sam Walker(a book about fantasy baseball)
JunCTion
2/9/07 1:20:10AM
in the past when i read i was into
david morrel (assassin stuff)
clive cussler (dirk pitt)
clive barker (horror)
anything horror, suspense, espionage killer stuff
hippysmacker
2/9/07 3:36:09AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

The Janson Directive - Robert Ludlum - Just a ho-hum spy novel, guy makes an improbable hostage rescue, gets stabbed in the back by the government, and spends the rest of the time clearing his name... Ludlum always keeps it interesting even if he is a little transparent at times.

The Hammerhead Ranch Motel - Tim Dorsey - This guy is a blast to read if you like fiction... Good dark comedy, violence, intertwining plot lines, and very easy to read... He kinda writes like tarentino's Pulp Fiction watches.

A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving - I guess it's a classic, that a friend suggested... I've been reading it on and off for a few months now and have not been able to get into it... As far as I can tell it's about a rich kid and his midget buddy with a wierd voice, I'm sure it gets better, just a slow read in the beggining.

Bitter Glory - Author??? - It's a book about the history and struggle of Poland between the end of the WW1 and the beggining of WW2.

If you like Dorsey , I think you'll love Elmore Leonard. Tarantino made one of his books Jacky Brown into a movie, and Get Shorty and Out of sight are also books of his that have been made into movies
hippysmacker
2/12/07 4:49:25AM
Everyone should read the wheel of time series by Robert Jordan IMO. If you don't like it, you can kick Tito in the crotch.
Stickan
2/12/07 5:29:03AM
I'm gonna go ahead and be the boring one and say that the book series that made the biggest impact on me was the Lord of the Ring series. At the time I read it (I was 11 years old) it was just so easy to ....looking for a word....feel like you're in the book, and a part of the amazing journey. Once I started reading the first book I was hooked and basically did nothing other than reading those books the following days until I was finished and was longing for more.

I'm not a big reader though and the only book I'm reading at the moment is DostovjevskijĀ“s Crime and Punishment which I've read once many years ago but I'm reading again to get a better grip of the plot and what it's all about. I read it in english when I was 13 so even though I understood the book and was able to appreciate it I felt I might have missed out on some details that might have been crucial to the overall impression.
hippysmacker
2/12/07 6:05:42AM

Posted by Stickan

I'm gonna go ahead and be the boring one and say that the book series that made the biggest impact on me was the Lord of the Ring series. At the time I read it (I was 11 years old) it was just so easy to ....looking for a word....feel like you're in the book, and a part of the amazing journey. Once I started reading the first book I was hooked and basically did nothing other than reading those books the following days until I was finished and was longing for more.

I'm not a big reader though and the only book I'm reading at the moment is DostovjevskijĀ“s Crime and Punishment which I've read once many years ago but I'm reading again to get a better grip of the plot and what it's all about. I read it in english when I was 13 so even though I understood the book and was able to appreciate it I felt I might have missed out on some details that might have been crucial to the overall impression.

Yeah, lord of the rings was the 2nd series I read that i liked. Had it read to me when I was 5 for the good ol bedtime stories, but din't really apprecite till I read it myself 11 years later . I f you like the fantasy Genre, try
1. The wheel of time series by Robert Jordan- First book" eye of the world"
2. The riftwar saga by Raymond E. Feist-first " book magicians apprentice"
3.The drenai series by David Gemmel-first book " Legend"
4. The malazan books of the fallen by Steven Erikson-1rst " gardens of the moon"
5.The black company novels by Glen cook- 1rst' The black company"

The 5 best series in the genre IMO.( I actually would rank Lord of the rings 3rd)
Svartorm
2/12/07 8:47:52PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

So, you've read about this guy?

Hes like the meaner, more grizzled, Polish version of Don Frye.
loller90278
2/12/07 9:26:10PM
the postman by charles bukowski - a post man and his adventures

survivor - chuck pahlaniuk -- the best book that hes written IMO

always runnig - a book about los angeles street gangs and one guys journey

and soon gates of fire - about to start cuz i heard a lot of praise about this, including from svatrom who i seem as a intelligent guy whos in love with history but kinda geeky but nobody wants to call him a geek cuz hes a big guy
Svartorm
2/12/07 11:00:20PM
Trust me, you won't regret it!

And people call me a geek all the time. I just break their legs afterwards.
pv3Hpv3p
2/13/07 5:03:28PM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

So, you've read about this guy?

Hes like the meaner, more grizzled, Polish version of Don Frye.

Good ups on Pilsudski... Didn't think anybody would through that out there...
pv3Hpv3p
2/13/07 5:05:03PM

If you like Dorsey , I think you'll love Elmore Leonard. Tarantino made one of his books Jacky Brown into a movie, and Get Shorty and Out of sight are also books of his that have been made into movies

Thanks for the tip, always looking for good suggestions...

Ever read any Carl Hiaasan? I'd put him in a similar genre... Tourist Season was a classic.
Pages: [1] 2 3