Books

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Books
Aether
7/31/12 2:12:28PM
I just bought a pair of stunning books. I'm sure most people wouldn't be nearly as excited as I am, but the combination of the craftsmanship, content, and the deal I got made me very excited, so I'm running around telling absolutely everyone, even though no one cares.

I bought 2 books from this series of 96 volumes, I found them in an old bookstore that is relocating and selling everything at 30% off. They are full leather-bound, with silk woven end papers, gilded page edges and a satin page marker, in perfect condition. Worth around $150 in this condition. Plus they're math/physics/chemistry writings, which is what I spend most of my time studying.

I could only find a picture of one of the books online (mine is in better condition than this one):

Sick Book

Oooooooooooooooohhhhhhh. Pretty.
prophecy033
7/31/12 2:42:16PM
That's a pretty cool looking book. Very 18th-19th century
pmoney
7/31/12 3:07:03PM
Bad ass! And I thought the construction of my UFC Encyclopedia was something to behold
Copenhagen
7/31/12 3:53:43PM
Ahh, the smell/feel of old books gives me a hard-on.
Last old book I bought was Great Fortunes: How They Were Made, published in 1871.
kopower
7/31/12 6:59:32PM
That does look pretty bad ass. Nice find
mrsmiley
7/31/12 7:32:03PM
Looks great. The last time I bought a book close to that was a copy of Jungs Red Book. Not nearly as old but the content is priceless if you enjoy his work.

Poor people own huge TV's,rich people own huge libraries.

I read that somewhere once.
cowcatcher
7/31/12 7:33:08PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Looks great. The last time I bought a book close to that was a copy of Jungs Red Book. Not nearly as old but the content is priceless if you enjoy his work.

Poor people own huge TV's,rich people own huge libraries.

I read that somewhere once.

Probably in a book.
Copenhagen
7/31/12 9:30:30PM
I feel like now-a-days the majority of books are written for the sole purpose of making a dollar and not preserving knowledge of some kind. Which is completely understandable since we live in a capitalistic society. Where as I find the majority of old books are written for the sake of knowledge. Which is why they are the shiznit.
Aether
8/1/12 4:15:07AM
Yeah, I was more excited about the content of the books than anything, the craftsmanship just made them that much more awesome. Archimedes was amazing.

The other book is the writings of Faraday, Fourier, and Lavoisier, some of the biggest names in the history of physics and chemistry.