Bonnar, whats wrong with you?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Bonnar, whats wrong with you?
the_01
7/23/09 3:14:13PM
Ever since I watched Bonnar in the first TUF finale, Ive been a fan. I even thought he won the fight that night. Anyways, ever since that fight, he hasnt been himself. The guy is on a decline ever since, and getting worse by the fight. And finally, beaten by Colman. I still dont beleive it, I just hope he gets his act together, because Im difinite that sooner or later he will be kicked out of the UFC. Any explanations for that, and how he may regain his status?
Twenty20Dollars
7/23/09 3:20:33PM
Bad matchups, people with decent wrestling have given bonnar problems.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
7/23/09 3:44:41PM
Fought better wrestlers (coleman , evans , jones)

Fought better strikers (forrest X2 , machida)

lost to every top tier opponent he faced accept a gift decision against jardine

he's just not that good .

Styles
7/23/09 4:17:12PM
He wasn't himself in the first forrest fight is what it was. He fought with everything he had that fight and never really improved from that. Bonnar is WEC type material
postman
7/23/09 4:17:26PM
The Griffen fight over hyped him so much. That was a Brawl not a great MMA Match. Very entertaing fight but the skill level was not the highest. Remeber it was the TUF Finale how many TUF guys actually last in the UFC. Not that big of a suprise to me.
Rush
7/23/09 4:22:31PM
These two sum it up perfectly IMO

Posted by postman

The Griffen fight over hyped him so much. That was a Brawl not a great MMA Match.

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

he's just not that good .

randompunter
7/23/09 4:29:32PM
You cant compare the first season with the others talent wise Bonnar will always get a fight in the ufc.
scoozna
7/23/09 4:55:45PM
...plus, he never *improved*. All those guys from season 1 started out good, but they kept on getting better.
KaibaThedon
7/23/09 4:56:26PM
Lost faith after he lost to Coleman... absolute brutality.
Nightmare27
7/23/09 5:02:13PM
I dont care who or where he fights I will always be rooting for Bonner. He does need to work on his takedown defense though.
prozacnation1978
7/23/09 11:49:48PM
bonnar is overhyped
he needs 3rd tier fighters for wins
hippysmacker
7/24/09 6:04:02AM

Posted by postman

The Griffen fight over hyped him so much. That was a Brawl not a great MMA Match. Very entertaing fight but the skill level was not the highest. Remeber it was the TUF Finale how many TUF guys actually last in the UFC. Not that big of a suprise to me.

I think you hit it on the head here. I just think he stopped improving, and seems to be enjoying the trappings of fame more than he should.
tmas
7/25/09 10:33:42AM
if you look at the guys Step faces he only losses to really good fighters, say what you want there is a reason COleman is HOF....<--HOF

now really its simple Stephan has had injury after injury, layoff after layoff (steriod sus included) HE hasnt been able to be healthy since the Forrest 1 fight. Shame too because when healthy and able to fight/train on the reg he has great talent. and yes his one weakness is wrestling, but is does have good BJJ and good standup, +heart.....

i expect him to stay healthy and return to form after the rust is gone in another fight or two, ooor get injured agian and never live up to his great potential!
XblacksheepX
7/25/09 11:36:40AM
i like the guy, his commentating on things is always decent. skillwise i don't know. he just had too many injuries and lay offs to improve that much. i mean he trains at xtreme couture, i guess there's not much more a fighter can ask for concerning his training. it just looks like he got overrun by the generell skill level in mma nowadays. but he'll definitely stays in the ufc, cause dana owes him that one fight with griffin, that put the ufc on the mainstream mma map. i guess they'll feed him some cans now so he has the chance to catch up a little if he don't get injured again...
copcopps
7/25/09 1:05:26PM
I will always root for him, I just hope he can win more. Bring back Sam Hoger for all I care