Body weight/ bench weight?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Body weight/ bench weight?
Pitbull09
4/24/08 9:52:46PM
Just wondering if there is average percentage of what a person should be able to bench with their body weight. Im a smaller guy (150) and was wondering how far I'll be able to get.
seanfu
4/24/08 10:56:12PM
I passed the charts on the bench so they really don't work like they should.

Prime weight should be your body weight on a 10 set. U weigh 150, bench 150 10 times, youre doing well. I don't know of any percentage theoryies because really it varies per person but if you're 150, about 175 would be a prime lift on a 10 set. Anything higher than that is above average by far. 195 plus is impressive.

Another thing is that if you're looking for a lot of strength condensed into little size then don't listen to morons who give you a 8-6-4 lift. You'll gain a lot of weight and useless muscle. Your bench will go up due to weight gain and less and less percentage of the strength gain will be by muscle.

175 should be a short term target I think. 195 plus would be impressive. Especially if you are taller than 5' 9".
hotrodttt
4/25/08 12:11:36AM
They have a chart at my school that determines if your bench press is All American by Weight and when I'm not Wrestling I weight about 165 ish and I bench 285 and thats All American. So if you're 150 then All American would be about 250 or 260.
Basshandsome
4/25/08 3:40:20AM
I think it really depends on the person. It depends on age, weight, height,arm length, amount of time you have been working out, etc. I don't think it matters what the average person can do. Worry about yourself and the goals you want to achieve and don't worry about what others are doing.
Jackelope
4/25/08 4:02:03AM

Posted by Basshandsome

I think it really depends on the person. It depends on age, weight, height,arm length, amount of time you have been working out, etc. I don't think it matters what the average person can do. Worry about yourself and the goals you want to achieve and don't worry about what others are doing.

That's the best post here, IMO.

Goals are fine, but they can lead people down the wrong roads.

Basically when you're young and you are concerned about your "max", you're in it for the wrong reasons. I was guilty of it, and I'll admit, occasionally I'll see what my max is just out of curiosity. It's bred into us with weight lifting, but it's not the healthiest idea for weight lifting. Unless you're a power lifter, of course.

With all of that being said- If you're doing 1.5X your weight you're sitting pretty. If you're doing 2X your weight then you're doing phenomenal.

To explain why I said what I said above real quick, though- When people max they tend to sacrifice their form and of course that can lead to injuries. I would much rather go a full year doing less weight with clean reps than lifting more and doing sloppy reps. That's because I've gone through my fair share of injuries and layoffs because of this exact stuff, though.

Work hard and have fun buddy

Edit: BTW, I'm 6'0" 160 lbs. and I rep 185 about 12 times. I haven't maxed in about a year and a half, so I can't give you a good number, but last time I maxed I did 240. Back then I think I was only repping 185 for about 7 or 8, though.
hails
4/25/08 6:43:41AM
You really need to watch how quickly you increase your weights, as the more weight you try to throw around in the gym the more likely you are to do an injury.

I say that because I have been lifting weights for about 4-5 years now and every time I do an injury, rest and then try to work out hard again and do new injuries.

You need to listen to your body and watch your form as you lift more and more weight.

There will always be people giving you different advice too which can make it confusing.

Eat wise and enjoy yourself!!!
stock
4/25/08 9:05:03AM
An excellent and attainable (1-rep) max is about 75% more than your body weight. You will have to work at this.
If you can do twice your body weight, you are a monster!!
Bonus-Jonas
4/25/08 11:40:24AM

Posted by hails

You really need to watch how quickly you increase your weights, as the more weight you try to throw around in the gym the more likely you are to do an injury.

You need to listen to your body and watch your form as you lift more and more weight.

I totally agree with this. I tore my bicep tendon by lifting too heavy, my ligaments and tendons couldn't handle it anymore. I weighed 160 and did 315lbs 3 times, but the next month I had to stop lifting and its been over a year and I am still recovering. I say keep your reps between 8 and 12, you'll do fine, most of all, listen to your body like 'hails' said.

The-Don
5/14/08 7:20:15PM
Let me just mention TANK ABBOTT... Can bench press small cars... and has limited success as of late in MMA... basicly your bench weight is basicly useless other then to impress other gym rats... I perfer dumbell press...
Rush
5/14/08 11:54:38PM
I agree that it depends on the person. I am generally a strong guy for my weight, but I don't seem to bench near what other people can do.

I can pretty much only do set of 8 reps of my weight with dumbells (165). Barbell free is around 180-200lbs and I have gotten up to 230 using nautilus. I am also not that great at doing push-ups. I've never had a big chest, but I am ok with it. I'm pretty much as strong (overall) as I need to be and that is ok. In martial arts a strong core is more important than a strong chest IMO.

Kracker_Jap
5/15/08 4:28:36AM
In high school i weighed 135 maxed at 225

now i'm old had 2 kids married and have the legendary old man strength

I'm 30yr body weight 192 (today) bench265-285 3x10

also Important to note I'm some what short at 5;6 and a 1/2

i would say at your weight depending on height and age 185 X 10 is a stud and 170 x 10 is super good.....
mrsmiley
5/15/08 11:49:50AM
You know it's funny i've been going to the gym for 2 years now and have never done a bench press!!!!!
I should clarify that though.I will do incline on a machine,and do them with dumbbells,but other than that,I do dips because I think my form is more correct when doing them.

I prefer to do pullups and dips and exercises were i'm lifting myself up.I don't know why I prefer them,but I do.

Probably because most people think the bench press seems to be the ultimate exercise.Everytime I started talking about going to the gym,I always get asked how much I bench.They always look at me funny when I say I don't do bench presses.Is it really that bad of a exercise not to do?
Rush
5/15/08 12:12:31PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Is it really that bad of a exercise not to do?

No. I think a strong core is more important in every aspect of life unless you are a bodybuilder or a competitive bench presser. As I said, a strong core will contribute more to your martial arts training as well as having a healthy back and knees. I'll take that over the bragging rights being able to push a lot of weight.

I think people ask how much you can bench for the main reason that, for most people, it is the one exercise (that isn't legs) that people can move the most weight (funny because I can row more than I bench). I guess people want to compare and be associated with moving high amounts of weight. I think a lot of people feel that it is a testament of your overall strength. To a certain degree yes, but once a person can bench their own body weight or more, a person's strength is not directly associated with their bench press weight.

A funny story, I have a friend that when we were in highschool, he weighed about 20+ lbs less than me, but he could bench more and do more push ups than I could. Over the past 13 years, he has put on 40-50 lbs and now weighs 20 lbs more than me. He does a lot of weights, and probably still pushes more than me, yet when he picked up my kettlebell he was shaking.
Jackelope
5/15/08 2:02:54PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by mrsmiley

Is it really that bad of a exercise not to do?

No. I think a strong core is more important in every aspect of life unless you are a bodybuilder or a competitive bench presser. As I said, a strong core will contribute more to your martial arts training as well as having a healthy back and knees. I'll take that over the bragging rights being able to push a lot of weight.

I think people ask how much you can bench for the main reason that, for most people, it is the one exercise (that isn't legs) that people can move the most weight (funny because I can row more than I bench). I guess people want to compare and be associated with moving high amounts of weight. I think a lot of people feel that it is a testament of your overall strength. To a certain degree yes, but once a person can bench their own body weight or more, a person's strength is not directly associated with their bench press weight.

A funny story, I have a friend that when we were in highschool, he weighed about 20+ lbs less than me, but he could bench more and do more push ups than I could. Over the past 13 years, he has put on 40-50 lbs and now weighs 20 lbs more than me. He does a lot of weights, and probably still pushes more than me, yet when he picked up my kettlebell he was shaking.

I completely agree with all your reasons for why bench press is looked at the way it is. I also agree that a healthy and strong core are more important than a big bench press. There's different kinds of strength out there, though.

I think mainly it depends on what your goals are. My personal philosophy is to always change, and work as many areas as I can. I wouldn't be the kind of guy you'd see going into the gym doing bench, bench, bench, bench every day like some clowns are. At the same time I would never tell anyone that they should never do a bench or dumbbell press.

I'd say to MrSmiley that he should try out doing some bench press (or preferrably dumbbell press) and some flies for a couple weeks. Just to go through the motions, learn it, and pack on a litlte bit of that push strength. It shouldn't be the "core" of your workout and it can cause a lot of shoulder/low back pain if you are doing it incorrectly, but doing it correctly changing up and trying something new can only help with your muscle build. That is if overall body appearance is part of your working out goal.
Kracker_Jap
5/20/08 11:56:11AM

Posted by mrsmiley

I prefer to do pullups and dips and exercises were i'm lifting myself up.I don't know why I prefer them,but I do.

Probably because most people think the bench press seems to be the ultimate exercise.Everytime I started talking about going to the gym,I always get asked how much I bench.They always look at me funny when I say I don't do bench presses.Is it really that bad of a exercise not to do?

That is great that in 2yrs exp you have learned that your body will feel and tell you the correct form (talkin about your commits on dips)

You have a great start by keeping up your bodyweight exercises like dips and pullups ect.... there is a reason that in most gyms todayyuo don't see people doing them -its hard-

I do not want to down play the importance of bench pressing it is and will always be the number one exercise to upper body strength. bench is to the upper body what squats are to the lower body
But yes in to todays gyms the guys standing around the bench press aren't standing around the squat rack or dip or pull station and i agree with jackolopes point on Dumbell press they create better lines and involve more secondary muscles

the only reason I still bench press is because..... It looks cool to others and because I can go heavier on it then most people but, they don't know I haven't gone up weight on it for years and prefer now to focus on moe manly exercises like dips pull ups or dead lifts
fedorwins1
5/21/08 9:00:01AM
People say that if you can bench your own weight you're doing good.