BodogFight: Costa Rica

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » BodogFight: Costa Rica
AchillesHeel
4/16/07 1:39:12PM
BodogFight is wasting no time, with the premiere of their 3rd series tomorrow night.

Jake Shields will be featured in the episode, against Ray Steinbeiss, who had a win on the undercard of this weekend's "Clash of the Nations." Shields is currently 10th on the MMA Playground rankings, and 9th on MMA Weekly's rankings. I've actually never seen him fight, so I'm kind of excited to see what he's got. Current champion Nick Thompson and former champ Eddie Alvarez are also on the show, so the Welterweights could be worth watching.

The full lineup of fighters.
ffforgottenx
4/16/07 2:22:00PM
looks like a good group..

keep your eye on dustin denes.. he is fighting nick thompson.. they fought in 03 and denes won via triangle choke in under 2 minutes..
AchillesHeel
4/18/07 12:11:48PM
Well, it took Shields all of 90 seconds to tap out Steinbeiss.

Might as well just give him a title shot as soon as The Goat is ready for another match.
Mayo
4/18/07 12:16:41PM
Bodog just seems so low budget - how are they making any money? There was like 50 people at the Costa Rica event - and then you see some people in the distance trying to get a view - as though they were not allowed to come closer.
pv3Hpv3p
4/18/07 12:51:08PM

Posted by Mayo

Bodog just seems so low budget - how are they making any money? There was like 50 people at the Costa Rica event - and then you see some people in the distance trying to get a view - as though they were not allowed to come closer.

I heard that it was a closed event... They didn't want the results of the fights leaked out or something along those lines.
AchillesHeel
4/18/07 1:47:51PM
The television series on ION is like The Ultimate Fighter. It's a series of preliminary fights to determine who will participate in their pay-per-view event. Like TUF, the fights are unofficial because they don't report the results (because they want people to watch the show).

The last BodogFight pay-per-view in St. Petersburg had around 6,000 people in the area. Or at least that's what the announcers said. I haven't seen anything about PPV buys or fighter payouts or anything like that. I imagine the Russian fighters might have given Bodog a "hometown discount." I know Fedor was geeked about putting on a show in Russia. Guys like Matt Lindland and Eric Pele may simply have needed a fight/paycheck.

I have no idea what BodogFight's business model is, or whether it will last. The guy who runs Bodog Entertainment is supposedly a successful businessman.
Mayo
4/18/07 4:14:46PM
What about the rumours of it being tied to the Russian Mafia?
johny_rotten
4/18/07 4:24:26PM
I don't understand why Jake Shields can't get any respect. He has been on a tear defeating some of the best in the World , yet he has to fight in the preliminary of Bodog to make a PPV. Even the announcers last night were dogging him saying he has been very boring in the past.
AchillesHeel
4/18/07 5:10:43PM

Posted by johny_rotten

I don't understand why Jake Shields can't get any respect. He has been on a tear defeating some of the best in the World , yet he has to fight in the preliminary of Bodog to make a PPV. Even the announcers last night were dogging him saying he has been very boring in the past.

Last night's episode was the first time I'd seen him fight, but I notice that of his 16 wins, 10 were by Decision.

Shields has fought some good fighters, though, and I think he gets plenty of respect. As I said, he's ranked #10 here and #9 at MMA Weekly. He's probably held back a little, both in rankings and in general exposure, by never having fought in the UFC or Pride.
JunCTion
4/18/07 5:59:56PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

The television series on ION is like The Ultimate Fighter. It's a series of preliminary fights to determine who will participate in their pay-per-view event. Like TUF, the fights are unofficial because they don't report the results (because they want people to watch the show).

The last BodogFight pay-per-view in St. Petersburg had around 6,000 people in the area. Or at least that's what the announcers said. I haven't seen anything about PPV buys or fighter payouts or anything like that. I imagine the Russian fighters might have given Bodog a "hometown discount." I know Fedor was geeked about putting on a show in Russia. Guys like Matt Lindland and Eric Pele may simply have needed a fight/paycheck.

I have no idea what BodogFight's business model is, or whether it will last. The guy who runs Bodog Entertainment is supposedly a successful businessman.

dude he is crazy rich and giving us so much free stuff to see on ion and bodogfight.com. i think hes got enough money to be able to wait for success later.

im watching the whole usa v russia event right now.

as ive said in other threads, free free free is goooood!
pv3Hpv3p
4/18/07 6:13:42PM

Posted by JunCTion

Posted by AchillesHeel

dude he is crazy rich and giving us so much free stuff to see on ion and bodogfight.com. i think hes got enough money to be able to wait for success later.

im watching the whole usa v russia event right now.

as ive said in other threads, free free free is goooood!

Is the BoDog St. Petersburg think on their website, or did you have to find it elsewhere... I am very interested in seeing it, if you could post a link or shoot me a PM I would def give you
JunCTion
4/18/07 6:21:52PM
here you go

you have to watch each fight individually, but there all there. i just cant seem to enlarge the screen.

USA V RUSSIA

4 hours of fights man!
johny_rotten
4/18/07 11:37:04PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by johny_rotten

Last night's episode was the first time I'd seen him fight, but I notice that of his 16 wins, 10 were by Decision.

Shields has fought some good fighters, though, and I think he gets plenty of respect. As I said, he's ranked #10 here and #9 at MMA Weekly. He's probably held back a little, both in rankings and in general exposure, by never having fought in the UFC or Pride.

That is what I don't get. After he won the ICON tourny why weren't both orgs knocking down his door. Does he just have a horrible manager? I couldn't see that being the case since he trains with the Diaz brothers, Trerrell, and Melendez. All of them have gotten fights in Pride, and or the UFC since Jake won that crown. Hell all three guys he defeated in that tourny has had fights with Zuffa in the WEC or UFC since the tournament.
loller90278
4/18/07 11:44:03PM
the owner is calvin ayre.. hes a pretty wealthy guy (although hes doing it... kinda illegaly). he runs bodog.com which is a HUGE gambling website and i believe he lives on an island, definatly somewhere tropical. yeah he has enough money to throw around and to start his own production of MMA.

and no, its not related to russian mafia, at all
johny_rotten
4/19/07 12:07:33AM
I am curious if there could ever be a Bodog fight on American soil. Our government has waged war on all online gambling sites. Because the name of the company is the same as their poker site I doubt they would be allowed to do business here.
JoeMimic
4/19/07 10:28:30AM
I read reports that Calvin lost a crap-ton of money over the last year; something like 400 million. I guess I'll have to TIVO it but it's just weird that they're going to be showing Nick Thompson and Eddie Alvarez after they just fought each other but it's going to be before all that happened....