Bobby Southworth: a win over "Babalu" could cement legacy

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Bobby Southworth: a win over "Babalu" could cement legacy
MMAcca
6/29/08 6:43:57PM
AN JOSE, Calif. -- Soon after defending his Strikeforce world light heavyweight title with Friday's unanimous-decision victory over Anthony Ruiz, Bobby Southworth (9-5) was already looking ahead to future challenges.

Southworth, who avenged a previous non-title-fight loss to Ruiz with the victory, said that he's entering the twilight of his career and wants to fight the division's best before calling it quits.

The 38-year-old considers Renato "Babalu" Sobral (29-7) one such fighter.

LINK
Twenty20Dollars
6/29/08 6:47:09PM
yeah i dont see bobby beating babalu. plus they are in the same org. and what legacy does bobby southworth have at being 9-5. i dont think babalu would want this fight anyway, he wants to get back to the top.
DustinT
6/29/08 7:05:08PM
*laff*

...legacy.

oh bobby.
xposipx
6/29/08 7:11:16PM
Only being remembered as the guy who called Leben a bastard child isn't a legacy, Bobby. It's pretty much the opposite.
DevonFoxy
6/29/08 7:12:08PM
And a loss to Babalu would make you the guy that complained about cutting weight on the Ultimate Fighter 1. Honestly though I don't think beating Babalu gives you a legacy when your biggest win is against Vernon White and your record is 9-5. I think hes a pretty average fighter but to say that he could have a legacy with a win over Babalu is pretty darn nuts.Good luck with that though.
Porch28
6/29/08 7:39:52PM
Seriously does anyone even care about Southworth?
KYGUY07
6/29/08 7:46:56PM
I really dont think southworth would have a chance against babalu
EON
6/29/08 7:57:13PM

Posted by Porch28

no, he could possibly be the most boring fighter out there
voodoo-jitsu
6/29/08 9:50:34PM

Posted by KYGUY07

I really dont think southworth would have a chance against babalu

or any kind of legacy either
mrsmiley
6/29/08 10:25:42PM
Remember when he got bitch slapped by Ralph Gracie?

Those were the days.
xtra_chewy
6/29/08 10:27:12PM

Posted by Porch28

no.
prozacnation1978
6/29/08 10:45:34PM
what legacy??
the fact the ufc didn't want him and leban wants to kill him,
babalu will destroy him
Vote4Fedro
6/30/08 2:27:51AM

Posted by Porch28

I am just learning of him, so hard to care. UFC reject no thanx
GSPCanada
6/30/08 3:51:17AM
I want him and leben to fight funny how leben is a ufc star and southworth is a reject I didn't realize so many people did not like him though hahaha

ya between callin leben a fatherless bastard and his explosion after losing to bonnar i dont like the guy (never leave it in the judges hand bobby)

he would lose to babalu imo and even if he did win he can have a legacy similar to jason lambert....haha
CornishMMA
6/30/08 6:55:24AM
What a birth parentless adopted bastarrd

No cement needed if you have no building blocks, who the hell has he beat of merit? nobody! a fight with Babalu would merely end his career, i think everyone would want to see Babs do a Babalu on Bobby
Khaos
6/30/08 7:08:45AM
This would be his hype video for the fight

I don't need a ******* pep talk
fight clip
You Fatherless Bastard
fight clip
(Mocking Chris Leben)I'm not through with you yet, ha! ******* Bitch
fight clip
I'm not getting any younger, so it takes alittle bit longer to get into the swing of things
fight clip

THAT'S OUR BOBBY !!!!!!!!!!!

MoneyMatt420
6/30/08 10:54:40AM
bobby had his shot with the ufc with the tuf show, he looked like crap, out of shape (he always has been) and was not impressive AT ALL!!! He lost there and i have no idea how he got any kind of belt. Babalu has fought sum of the best his knockout losses to chuck is more of a exciting legacy than bobbys whole career as far as excitiment. Babalu will destroy bobby on the ground, with the stand up and has better conditioning. Point being, Babalu has been to the UFC did well and southworth wouldnt even be a contender in the middlewieght division. i wanna c chris leben lose a few more and go to strikeforce and ko that prick southworth.
teddythetuna
6/30/08 11:29:34AM
Babalu would rip his face off. Never liked Southworth
xxdeadpoolxx
6/30/08 12:55:18PM
legacy????? hahahhahahahah absolutly ludicrious
dustyp
6/30/08 4:39:47PM

Posted by MoneyMatt420

bobby had his shot with the ufc with the tuf show, he looked like crap, out of shape (he always has been) and was not impressive AT ALL!!! He lost there and i have no idea how he got any kind of belt. Babalu has fought sum of the best his knockout losses to chuck is more of a exciting legacy than bobbys whole career as far as excitiment. Babalu will destroy bobby on the ground, with the stand up and has better conditioning. Point being, Babalu has been to the UFC did well and southworth wouldnt even be a contender in the middlewieght division. i wanna c chris leben lose a few more and go to strikeforce and ko that prick southworth.

I couldnt agree more i too cannot stand BSouth.Besides the fact that he is a huge prick the guy has not beat anyone that he could legitimately say he is a contender in the light heavy div. Besides the fact that he i feel that it he only got the shot because he had been beat by the guy that they really wanted as their champion.So when Renato leaves him bloody taking a nap on the mat we should all be happy that at least they would have a legit champion in SF.
Kracker_Jap
7/1/08 12:18:08AM
Babalu would hurt Bobby S.

And if Bobby S actually won it would be the start of a decent MMA career IMO
with no cement for a long time
MMAcca
7/1/08 1:06:38AM
The start ?

Isn't Southworth like 35......
Khaos
7/1/08 5:46:52AM

Posted by MMAcca

The start ?

Isn't Southworth like 35......

38 to be exact
whardin19
7/1/08 7:18:10AM
Legacy? Common Bobby, your crazy! Your 9-5 and your a UFC reject. This guy isn't well liked by anyone. So like a few people on here already said. Who cares.