BOBBY LASHLEY: "My sights are set on Brock Lesnar."

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » BOBBY LASHLEY: "My sights are set on Brock Lesnar."
Next Page »
emfleek
7/16/09 2:10:35PM
“I’m not going to say anything bad on Brock, because Brock is doing all the right things, [but] my sights are set on Brock. I’m not saying I want to fight him because he’s ‘the wrestling guy.’ I’m saying it because I am a heavyweight fighter and he’s the champ.”

STORY
KUTTER
7/16/09 2:27:35PM
Id LOVE to see this fight.. But by time Lashley in UFC he probably have to redirect his "sights" being, I dont see brock still holding belt
emfleek
7/16/09 2:31:27PM

Posted by KUTTER

Id LOVE to see this fight.. But by time Lashley in UFC he probably have to redirect his "sights" being, I dont see brock still holding belt

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

I'm betting Lashley is in the UFC within the next 6 months.
Jackelope
7/16/09 2:36:51PM
Lashley is a good example of a lot of the real reasons why people dislike Lesnar.

Here you have a guy who is coming up through the ranks, putting in his time and effort, and being humble in the process. Something Lesnar wasn't exactly known for. People put too much emphasis on the WWE stigma, IMO. Lashley is from the WWE, but you don't see people saying the things about him that they've said about Lesnar. It is about paying your dues and giving respect. Something Lesnar has not done, no matter what way you cut it.

Now, in saying that I'm not bashing Lesnar, I'm just pointing out facts. I think at this point we can say that Lesnar has more than proved he belongs in the UFC, but to all the people that think people hate Lesnar just because he's "from the WWE" those are some facts you may want to consider. Pay your dues, be humble, fight hard, and you will earn the fans' respect. WWE has nothing to deal with it in a lot of cases.
Rush
7/16/09 2:50:12PM

Posted by Jackelope

Lashley is a good example of a lot of the real reasons why people dislike Lesnar.

Here you have a guy who is coming up through the ranks, putting in his time and effort, and being humble in the process. Something Lesnar wasn't exactly known for. People put too much emphasis on the WWE stigma, IMO. Lashley is from the WWE, but you don't see people saying the things about him that they've said about Lesnar. It is about paying your dues and giving respect. Something Lesnar has not done, no matter what way you cut it.

Now, in saying that I'm not bashing Lesnar, I'm just pointing out facts. I think at this point we can say that Lesnar has more than proved he belongs in the UFC, but to all the people that think people hate Lesnar just because he's "from the WWE" those are some facts you may want to consider. Pay your dues, be humble, fight hard, and you will earn the fans' respect. WWE has nothing to deal with it in a lot of cases.

I agree to an extent. I think that what you are saying about Lesnar applies to fans on the fence regarding whether or not they like him. However, based on my observations there is a large core of Lesnar haters that will not like him regardless of his demeanor and/or success.

That being said, and I don't know anything about WWE, Brock could also have gotten extra flak based on what people thought of him as a professional wrestler. I'm sure if you had two ex-pro wrestlers transition to MMA, one was a jerk in wrestling and one was generally well liked, despite some/all of it being an act in wrestling, I am sure fans would generally accept the well liked guy over the other. This can then lead to "the less liked" fighter becoming defensive and/or hostile towards other MMA fighters and/or fans.

Rush
7/16/09 2:51:01PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by KUTTER

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

I'm betting Lashley is in the UFC within the next 6 months.

Given the success of Lesnar, I would say you are probably spot on.
Jackelope
7/16/09 3:00:01PM
I don't know if Lashley was a good guy or a bad guy in WWE. I honestly know nothing about either of these guys' WWE careers.

If you read my post you'll see that I chose my words carefully when addressing people who think that way about Lesnar. I used phrases like "in a lot of cases".

What I'm getting at is that I do agree and have agreed with your assessment, Rush. There are definitely going to be folks who don't like Lesnar just because he's from the WWE, but as far as hard core fans go, I actually think they are the minority compared to the groups who feel the way I described above.

I just generally tend to see on Lesnar threads three groups-

1) The group that says he's from the WWE so he's a jackass

2) The group that defends him regardless of the points being brought up by saying "You just don't like him cuz he was in the WWE

3) Rational folks

KUTTER
7/16/09 3:02:00PM
I agree on the 6 months. But there seems to be sooooo much going on in HW right now already. Id hope White doesnt do the division dirty again and just throw lashley into title shot. I mean you got Nog/Randy, Dos Santos, Carwin,Cain,Mirko suppose be back in mix and now Dana seems to be dropping Fedors name..Someone bound to knock Brock of that pedastal .Not taking anything from Brock, I dont care for his character at all but def respect his athletisism.Just he has alot of room to grow,and thats a whole lotta proven talent already getting in line.
McBee
7/16/09 3:03:51PM

Posted by KUTTER

I understand if you are talking about Fedor, but who else is going to beat Lesnar!? I love Randy and Nog but I cannot see them having the strength to start any sort of game plan and Carwin and Cain are not tested enough to have an effective game plan against him. If Fedor is not in the UFC Lesnar will be the champ for a long time!

as far as comparing Lesnar and Lashley

Lesnar had an easier trip because to the UFC because he was a dominant NCAA wrestler unlike Lashley and had already anhilated Hong ManChoi. Lashley will not make it to the UFC, beating Bob Sapp is not that big of a deal, heck Jan Nortje did it faster than Lashley. I think he is a glorified Gary Goodridge and will not make it past decent fighters, everyone in Affliction would take him out including a few guys on this season of TUF.
Jackelope
7/16/09 3:05:05PM
LOL, check your facts.. Lashley has a very decorated wrestling career before WWE
McBee
7/16/09 3:05:49PM

Posted by Jackelope

LOL, check your facts.. Lashley has a very decorated wrestling career before WWE

less than Lesnar
Jackelope
7/16/09 3:10:28PM
True, but Lashley is I believe a 3X NAIA champion. Which is really nothing to scoff at. It's not the equivalent of being a 3X NCAA champion, but it is very impressive nonetheless. Personally, I would go so far as to say that I think Lashley's wrestling would match up quite well against Lesnar's. Although I'm positive Lesnar is a bit bigger and stronger than Lashley
Rush
7/16/09 3:12:46PM

Posted by Jackelope

3) Rational folks

You're talking to a guy that believes these people are a vast minority.
marcus1
7/16/09 3:16:22PM
Fight Network is reporting the deal is done. It also states that he will not be full time on the roster so he can continue mma. What a shame and waste of talent.
emfleek
7/16/09 3:24:10PM

Posted by marcus1

Fight Network is reporting the deal is done. It also states that he will not be full time on the roster so he can continue mma. What a shame and waste of talent.

KUTTER
7/16/09 3:24:13PM

Posted by McBee

Posted by KUTTER

I understand if you are talking about Fedor, but who else is going to beat Lesnar!? I love Randy and Nog but I cannot see them having the strength to start any sort of game plan and Carwin and Cain are not tested enough to have an effective game plan against him. If Fedor is not in the UFC Lesnar will be the champ for a long time!

Lesnar had an easier trip because to the UFC because he was a dominant NCAA wrestler unlike Lashley and had already anhilated Hong ManChoi. Lashley will not make it to the UFC, beating Bob Sapp is not that big of a deal, heck Jan Nortje did it faster than Lashley. I think he is a glorified Gary Goodridge and will not make it past decent fighters, everyone in Affliction would take him out including a few guys on this season of TUF.

Lesnar was a dominany NCAA wrestler unlike Lashley?!?? NAIA national champion,2 times armed forces champ,silver medal at CISM,by my definition thats pretty damn dominant.Nog and Randy def have a chance imo even though not in their prime,neither is Lesnar (technique wise).Im not impressed with anyone Lashley faced thus far either. But I could also say similair about Lesnar at this point. Mir HURT Lesnar,it was obvious you could see it on his face.As well as carried out in his actions he sped up and gained intensity because in my opinion he was shocked. So I can see Dos Santos,Carwin,or Mirko easily handing him a TKO. Nog or Randy got a 50/50 chance,I honestly dont feel that confident in Cain but theres always a chance.
emfleek
7/16/09 3:26:08PM
Oops...nevermind.

**Bobby Lashley announced on ESPN Radio Wednesday that he has officially signed a contract with TNA and would debut at ‘Victory Road' this Sunday. He will not be working full time for the company as his main focus is MMA and trains in nearby Coconut Creek, Florida at American Top Team and commutes there from Colorado where he lives with his wife and child as well as a child from a previous marriage that also lives in Colorado. Lashley also mentioned in the interview that he wants to fight Brock Lesnar eventually and has a plan in regards to how to beat the UFC heavyweight champion.

from the Fight Network
marcus1
7/16/09 3:57:09PM
Sorry wrong article. Quick quote though:

Bobby Lashley announced on ESPN Radio Wednesday that he has officially signed a contract with TNA and would debut at ‘Victory Road' this Sunday. He will not be working full time for the company as his main focus is MMA and trains in nearby Coconut Creek, Florida at American Top Team and commutes there from Colorado where he lives with his wife and child as well as a child from a previous marriage that also lives in Colorado. Lashley also mentioned in the interview that he wants to fight Brock Lesnar eventually and has a plan in regards to how to beat the UFC heavyweight champion
McBee
7/16/09 4:20:36PM

Posted by KUTTER

Posted by McBee

Posted by KUTTER

Lesnar was a dominany NCAA wrestler unlike Lashley?!?? NAIA national champion,2 times armed forces champ,silver medal at CISM,by my definition thats pretty damn dominant.Nog and Randy def have a chance imo even though not in their prime,neither is Lesnar (technique wise).Im not impressed with anyone Lashley faced thus far either. But I could also say similair about Lesnar at this point. Mir HURT Lesnar,it was obvious you could see it on his face.As well as carried out in his actions he sped up and gained intensity because in my opinion he was shocked. So I can see Dos Santos,Carwin,or Mirko easily handing him a TKO. Nog or Randy got a 50/50 chance,I honestly dont feel that confident in Cain but theres always a chance.

I cannot see CC or Dos Santos getting a chance to KO him, Lesner did not want to rush into Mir and get submitted again but he will not have the same risk with them. Lesner vs Mir was complete domination and everyone is playing up the knee and crap, it was funny but did not hurt him, it was just the only time Mir scored any points in the entire fight. I do not like Lesnar that much but I will not revert to retelling the fight to make him look like he is not a force that he clearly is.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
7/16/09 4:29:37PM
mcbee: lesnar never fought hongmanchoi .
McBee
7/16/09 4:37:58PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

mcbee: lesnar never fought hongmanchoi .

what!? I am getting old who did he fight at Dynamite?

whoops who the crap is Min Soo Kim?! he beat Minowa

Well less credible argument by far, but it does not matter now that Brock has beat Mir and Couture, my bad I did not know there were so many HUGE asians............just kidding
Jackelope
7/16/09 5:06:28PM

Posted by McBee

I cannot see CC or Dos Santos getting a chance to KO him, Lesner did not want to rush into Mir and get submitted again but he will not have the same risk with them. Lesner vs Mir was complete domination and everyone is playing up the knee and crap, it was funny but did not hurt him, it was just the only time Mir scored any points in the entire fight. I do not like Lesnar that much but I will not revert to retelling the fight to make him look like he is not a force that he clearly is.

I hate to keep quoting you because it makes it sound like I'm attacking you personally, but unfortunately I have to do it again because I disagree with something you said in this post.

Lesnar himself said he saw "Little tweety birds" when Mir rocked him with that knee. If you go back and rewatch the video you will also clearly see Lesnar fall back a step after the knee hits him. Not saying he was out, but by Lesnar's own words and actions he said and showed that it hurt him.

I somewhat agree on the way Lesnar would attack CC and Dos Santos, though. Supposedly Dos Santos has a ground game, but we haven't seen it yet. I would hope that Mirko's TD defense is still what it once was, but I don't know if it is or not. I do believe that Lesnar would go for a takedown and GnP on these guys, though.
BMF
7/16/09 5:06:29PM
Wasn't Lashley going to be on TUF 10 but then when he signed with TNA didn't Dana get pissed off? I just can't see Dana letting him in the UFC being associated with TNA.
McBee
7/16/09 5:13:02PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by McBee

I hate to keep quoting you because it makes it sound like I'm attacking you personally, but unfortunately I have to do it again because I disagree with something you said in this post.

Lesnar himself said he saw "Little tweety birds" when Mir rocked him with that knee. If you go back and rewatch the video you will also clearly see Lesnar fall back a step after the knee hits him. Not saying he was out, but by Lesnar's own words and actions he said and showed that it hurt him.

I somewhat agree on the way Lesnar would attack CC and Dos Santos, though. Supposedly Dos Santos has a ground game, but we haven't seen it yet. I would hope that Mirko's TD defense is still what it once was, but I don't know if it is or not. I do believe that Lesnar would go for a takedown and GnP on these guys, though.

my bad, I did not see the post fight interview where he said that, it looked weak to me live, but that is why replay is great. I still think he is proned to Mir's strikes more than anyone because he cannot bullrush him and be sloppy in the way he takes him down for fear of sub.

I cannot see CC doing anything of consequence in the HW divison anymore, he may beat Santos but that is the level it stops at, I think he gets beat by Courture, Nog, Mir, Carwin, Cain and Lesnar
Jackelope
7/16/09 5:17:58PM
NP, glad to see you can take dissenting opinions for what they are intended to be, not as an insult

I do believe you're right about the way he approached striking with Mir, though. In all honesty I was quite surprised that Lesnar went for the takedown on Mir. I thought for sure it would be a standup battle. My instincts for that fight were to pick Lesnar by rd 2 KO, but in the last couple of days before the fight I switched my pick because I just couldn't pick a guy with as little experience as Lesnar.
xburbx
7/16/09 5:25:55PM
Who do you see beating Lesnar. I dont see him losing any time soon. I dont like him, but he is just too much for any heavyweight to handle.

Posted by KUTTER

KUTTER
7/16/09 6:20:29PM
We gonna have to agree to disagree then man lol.. To me he def came across as hurt. The guy is def impressive and with dedication he can def be great,wasnt trying knock him by any means. Carwin,Mirko,and Dos Santos all pose a threat IMO.As of right now Id bet ANYTHING that Fedor beat him. Now down the rd, I dont know if I can possibly say that. Really depends on his dedication and improvement.What he did to mir was damn impressive, I cant name alot of wrestlers who just owned a bjj guy like that period.Brock is a monster with huge potential, I just think him being thrown into this position going to work against him to extent. As far as winning belt, loosing belt, to win it back again.Its MMA, anything can happen as time has showed us. Just the likely hood of him holding the title straight out the gate for extended amount of time doesnt seem propable,but again who knows we see how far brute strength and wrestling takes him as it stands.
McBee
7/16/09 6:28:12PM

Posted by KUTTER

We gonna have to agree to disagree then man lol.. To me he def came across as hurt. The guy is def impressive and with dedication he can def be great,wasnt trying knock him by any means. Carwin,Mirko,and Dos Santos all pose a threat IMO.As of right now Id bet ANYTHING that Fedor beat him. Now down the rd, I dont know if I can possibly say that. Really depends on his dedication and improvement.What he did to mir was damn impressive, I cant name alot of wrestlers who just owned a bjj guy like that period.Brock is a monster with huge potential, I just think him being thrown into this position going to work against him to extent. As far as winning belt, loosing belt, to win it back again.Its MMA, anything can happen as time has showed us. Just the likely hood of him holding the title straight out the gate for extended amount of time doesnt seem propable,but again who knows we see how far brute strength and wrestling takes him as it stands.

the heavyweight division is different than any other division in as far as stregth and size go you can still have HUGE weight difference, Lesnar against Couture and CC is laughable because they are small HWs, this is the division where a Lesnar type characvter can do the biggest damage solely based off of physical attributes and great skill, can noob go into any other divison come in and get the belt right away, HELL NO
prozacnation1978
7/16/09 6:41:54PM
i believe lashley will be in the ufc next year and will fight brock in 2010 or 2011
KUTTER
7/16/09 7:13:51PM

Posted by McBee

the heavyweight division is different than any other division in as far as stregth and size go you can still have HUGE weight difference, Lesnar against Couture and CC is laughable because they are small HWs, this is the division where a Lesnar type characvter can do the biggest damage solely based off of physical attributes and great skill, can noob go into any other divison come in and get the belt right away, HELL NO

Now youve lost me... Your argument on Lashley was that he only beat sapp and thats no big deal basically..Then you say that Lesnar and CC laughable based on fact that CC is a small hw?!??? Have you never seen Sapp? Statements kind of conflicting. Based on fact you stated CC/Lesnar laughable being Lesnar has obvious advantage.Wouldnt you then be impressed with fact that Lashley beat Sapp being Sapp not only taller but bout 100lbs on him? Yes CC is a smaller HW, but so is Fedor. Yet you also confident Fedor would beat Lesnar?
Pages: [1] 2