Bob Arum says MMA is only for White guys

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Bob Arum says MMA is only for White guys
BigIP
2/16/11 11:00:41AM
Boxing promoter Bob Arum still sees mixed martial arts as the province of young caucasian guys.

"It's the same audience over and over," Arum said Tuesday. "It's white males, and they have never been able to expand their demographic."

Link
postman
2/16/11 11:17:24AM
I respond with at least they have a demographic lol.
warglory
2/16/11 11:55:45AM
And when was the last time Bob Arum promoted a huge fight card in Brazil?
tallica62
2/16/11 12:02:31PM
what an idiot...
MisterFreeze
2/16/11 12:16:21PM
Thats ridiculous! I work with alot of black guys and I married into a large family with a good mix of black and mexican ethnicities, and they all love UFC.
It's not just for white guys... people of all races like watching fighters beat each other up!!
emfleek
2/16/11 12:20:20PM

STFU Arum.
RearNakedJoke
2/16/11 12:25:02PM
He forgot asians, they like the martial arts too!

this guys just demonstrating why boxing is fading out.
jay98107
2/16/11 12:53:58PM

Posted by warglory

This pretty much sums up the entire argument. How many major boxing cards have been put together outside of America (more specifically Vegas and Atlantic City) in the past 10 years? At least the UFC brings its product to people all around the world, and all over the country. I live in Seattle, we're getting our first UFC event next month. Do I see any major boxing cards here? Hell no.
FlashyG
2/16/11 1:16:38PM
Seems Mr. Arum is softening up a bit when it comes to MMA.

We're only "white males" now instead of "Skinhead's"

I'm surprised anyone cares what that senile old man has to say.
MattHughesRules
2/16/11 1:39:56PM
Bob Arum is a dinosaur and is obviously uneducated on MMA. I have learned to ignore ignorant comments like this. Perhaps he should run them by Jon Jones....or Anthony Johnson...or maybe Anderson Silva?
machodog76
2/16/11 2:02:35PM
I think Arum can see the writing on the wall, He's just backing his product kind of like the BS Dana says about Strikeforce. I do agree that MMA is not as popular with latinos a blacks, but that is changing.
gartface
2/16/11 2:06:40PM

Posted by MattHughesRules

Bob Arum is a dinosaur and is obviously uneducated on MMA. I have learned to ignore ignorant comments like this. Perhaps he should run them by Jon Jones....or Anthony Johnson...or maybe Anderson Silva?

He's talking about the fans, not the fighters.

And he's wrong. Simple as that.
pmoney
2/16/11 2:44:54PM

I rarely go out to the bar to watch the fights. I like to #1- remember the fights and #2 DVR them.

Any time I do go to the bar to watch the fights, do you think it's all white people? Hell no.
jlock003
2/16/11 4:57:39PM
I would be interested to see the numbers personally. Boxing has lost its national appeal regardless of what the UFC has done. I'm willing to bet Arum is wrong, but I will say that I took from the read that he was appreciative of the UFC and its marketing strategies over the past ten years, but that boxing could return to a place of prominance in American culture if it can secure a major network deal. The network deal will not happen with boxing unless Mayweather and Pacman agreed to fight on a major network. I honestly can't see CBS or NBC, or Fox putting on the cards that we catch even on Showtime, nonetheless Friday night fights. I'm a big boxing fan, but in the words of Joe Rogan three years ago the sport is being swallowed up. As for the demographic situation....I'm definitely a white male between 18-30, but I do know of several other ethnicities, and ages who are fans of mma. The biggest market for the sport is undoubtedly White males in that age range within the U.S. but that doesn't mean that other cultures don't watch or enjoy the sport.
RearNakedJoke
2/16/11 5:57:11PM

Posted by pmoney

I rarely go out to the bar to watch the fights. I like to #1- remember the fights and #2 DVR them.

Any time I do go to the bar to watch the fights, do you think it's all white people? Hell no.

I hit the bar for all but the biggest shows and there is always a fair mix of ethnicities, ages and genders.
jay98107
2/16/11 5:58:52PM

Posted by jlock003

I would be interested to see the numbers personally. Boxing has lost its national appeal regardless of what the UFC has done. I'm willing to bet Arum is wrong, but I will say that I took from the read that he was appreciative of the UFC and its marketing strategies over the past ten years, but that boxing could return to a place of prominance in American culture if it can secure a major network deal. The network deal will not happen with boxing unless Mayweather and Pacman agreed to fight on a major network. I honestly can't see CBS or NBC, or Fox putting on the cards that we catch even on Showtime, nonetheless Friday night fights. I'm a big boxing fan, but in the words of Joe Rogan three years ago the sport is being swallowed up. As for the demographic situation....I'm definitely a white male between 18-30, but I do know of several other ethnicities, and ages who are fans of mma. The biggest market for the sport is undoubtedly White males in that age range within the U.S. but that doesn't mean that other cultures don't watch or enjoy the sport.

I definitely agree that boxing has lost it's appeal regardless of what the UFC has done. Boxing has done far more damage to itself than anybody else ever could have. Having four major titles instead of one or two has done damage, combined with each major organization seemingly having no interest in unifying titles or having their title holders fight the best challenger. When Timothy Bradley wanted to unify the WBC and WBO 140-pound titles, the WBC stripped him of his title because he wanted to unify instead of fight the mandatory challenger. To me that sounds like the exact opposite of the UFC who seemingly always tries to put on the best possible fight for the title, so it's no surprise that both sports financials are moving in exactly opposite directions. The lack of a Mayweather/Pacquiao bout pretty much sums up everything that's killing boxing.
Bloodhound
2/16/11 6:03:03PM
Bob Arum is old in his way of thinking and has no idea what innovation even means, which is the problem with Boxing
BlueSkiesBurn
2/16/11 7:36:20PM
Bob Arum hasn't been relevant in years. Boxing hasn't really been relevant in years. I'm not dismissing the fact that there are die-hard boxing enthusiasts, but it's lost basically all of its clout. He can say whatever he'd like about MMA, but that doesn't mean his statements hold water.

I'll tell you this much. I know a much more diverse MMA crowd than I do a boxing crowd. Granted I live in a Hispanic town, but even still, I don't know too many Caucasian boxing enthusiasts.

Bob, I can promise you this, you will expire before you see boxing regain more popularity than MMA.
Sir_Karl
2/16/11 8:00:21PM
He is either talking out his sphincter or he has absolutely no clue. Where in god's name does he get his information and statistics? Either way, does it really matter? Boxing is dead. It is just my opinion, but I feel boxing will eventually be relegated to being primarily an Olympic sport. Boxing is Vanilla Ice Cream...MMA is a Banana Split. He is just trying to save a dead horse. With comments like that he is doing a p!ss poor job of it.
BustedKnuckle
2/16/11 9:41:09PM
Who the fuk is Bob Arum and why are we talking about his old wrikley ass!!?? I am tired these boxing guys using anti-MMA shite slinging to make themselves relevant!!
lll-lll
2/17/11 6:52:51AM
So he is saying minorities enjoy one sided match ups, corrupt judging, and multiply belts at each weight?

Racist!
landstander
2/18/11 4:15:24AM

Posted by jay98107

Posted by warglory

This pretty much sums up the entire argument. How many major boxing cards have been put together outside of America (more specifically Vegas and Atlantic City) in the past 10 years? At least the UFC brings its product to people all around the world, and all over the country. I live in Seattle, we're getting our first UFC event next month. Do I see any major boxing cards here? Hell no.

Boxing still puts on big fights outside usa. Germany, England and Russia I think are the major ones. Any country that has an undisputed world champ or champ with one of the major belts will easily be able to put on a big fight in their home country.
Brockisthebest
2/18/11 2:55:53PM
I no plenty of black people who watch mma, this guy has no idea what he is talking about