Board vs grappling shorts

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Board vs grappling shorts
kMMAs
4/2/08 11:43:36AM
This is probably a really stupid question. I only train GI BJJ, but will be starting a little no gi in a few weeks, and want to buy some shorts.

Is there a big difference between "grappling shorts" and "board shorts"? Or is it just different names for the specific model they are selling? Ive heard really good things about nogi industires, and was looking at them, but dont know which style is better to purchase?...

...and there was already a thread about different types of shorts, so I dont need recomendations on brands, I just want to know the diference between Board and Grappling, if there is any. Thanks.
Omega
4/2/08 2:07:40PM
They're basically the same except some grappling shorts have stretch and stress areas. i have both and would recommend just getting board shorts. Get grappling shorts for higher level of competition.
Jackelope
4/2/08 2:46:51PM

Posted by Omega

They're basically the same except some grappling shorts have stretch and stress areas. i have both and would recommend just getting board shorts. Get grappling shorts for higher level of competition.

^^ Pretty much hit the nail on the head. Grappling shorts (good ones) can be so expensive that it's a waste to use them all the time and tear them in practice. I've used board shorts for up to 6 months without them ever tearing. Just look for something that has some well reinforced seams
chubbud22
4/9/08 2:43:28PM
Ya I think they are pretty much the same thing. IMO fight shorts just look sicker. I do have a pair of Wand brand shorts and the crotch area is gi material I think it would help with an arm bar.
jgtribbett
4/15/08 10:15:02PM
i bought a pair of grappling shorts (not vale tudo or normal board shorts.. but grappling shorts)

the elastic or lycra or wahtever it is.. in the middle is awsome.. i also have a pair of like... a weird material by bad boy and they donot have any elasticity and they ripped while i was taking a shot one time .. and they shrunk in the wash..

the good pair i have are clinch gear... not bad at all.. prettty durable too