BMA wants ultimate fighting banned

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » BMA wants ultimate fighting banned
grappler0000
9/5/07 4:12:48PM
The British Medical Association has called for a ban on mixed martial arts competitions, including "ultimate fighting", on the grounds they can cause traumatic brain injury.

Link
nubby
9/5/07 4:16:25PM
OMG STOP CALLING IT ULTIMATE FIGHTING!
JWils
9/5/07 4:18:37PM

Posted by nubby

szucconi
9/5/07 4:20:33PM

Posted by nubby

Its the UK. Thats what they call it there. They are wrong, but thats the way it is.
pv3Hpv3p
9/5/07 4:27:42PM
What grounds does she base her claims off of??? By her views we should also ban skiing, rugby, football, and any other sport that could cause an injury to participants... She's crap
loonytnt
9/5/07 4:51:33PM
lol oh plz the NFL gets hit more then a mma. a mma fighter dont do 16+ ever weekend, there not going ban that, boxers have died bc of this, they havent banned that so why MMA? imo i think there are some boxing fans tryin to do this but thats IMO
roman
9/5/07 5:42:45PM
I was watching outside the lines today about brain trauma and sports. It was really interesting what they were saying. Basically lots of concussions can lead (if not properly treated) to depression and other emotional issues. This was coming off the results found from Chris Benoit and some other former NFL players who have comitted suicide. Basically you get all crazy emotional from the constant headaches (the roids probably don't help either) and you go crazy and kill yourself. And that is not saying they all kill themselves but lots of others just have brain complications. One crazy ass former NFL player crashed his vechile while running from the cops, one drank ANTIFREEZE, and the others killed themselves in various ways. Now I'm not saying it is true, but it was definitley interesting and I think every contact sport should look into and treat this issue accordingly.
Lord_Lenny
9/5/07 6:03:40PM
nvm
jae_1833
9/5/07 7:38:26PM
Lame ... they also call Soccer "Football".
LightsOut33093
9/5/07 8:28:00PM

Posted by jae_1833

Lame ... they also call Soccer "Football".

no, they call it futbol...lol

Anyways, boxing causes more head trauma than MMA, all you do in boxing is pound and pound and continuously pound at the opponent's head to win. In MMA there are much more ways to win than beat someone in the head for sometimes as much as 25 minutes.
Pitbull09
9/5/07 9:39:23PM
This is just becoming another political issue that isnt following the facts but getting ppl to their side. Global warming doesnt show any facts anymore but its a huge hot topic in politics.

In the end, it doesnt matter that NFL, Hockey, Boxing, and Rugby all cause more brain trama and concusions then mma. What matters is how muany votes a canidate will get to say mma is barbaric!
Aether
9/6/07 12:30:49AM
Well these people have also been trying to ban boxing for well over 2 decades so I wouldn't worry about them too much.