blocking punches

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » blocking punches
danny81
10/27/07 5:14:38PM
in boxing to block a punch you just put your fist to your head and take the punch on your fist. how should u do this in MMA with the small gloves?
jiujitsufreak74
10/27/07 5:45:00PM
well, i personally try to push to the sides and use head movement, but if there is no avoiding it, same principle applies, just use more forearm. problem is that you also expose yourself to a body shot , but only briefly. so, o block a direct punch, do the same thing, only with more of your whole arm instead of just your glove.
loonytnt
10/27/07 6:06:17PM
i do it just like boxing if i m getting hit, but i love to shot so thats how i do it
Mastodon2
10/27/07 7:34:11PM
Redirect it using a forearm parry, or use the "hair comb" block and turn slightly to point your elbow towards the punch. You'll cover your face better and they will probably hurt their hand hitting your elbow.

Of course, good footwork and evasion should always take precedent to blocking.
bayonetxwork
10/27/07 7:40:03PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Redirect it using a forearm parry, or use the "hair comb" block and turn slightly to point your elbow towards the punch. You'll cover your face better and they will probably hurt their hand hitting your elbow.

Of course, good footwork and evasion should always take precedent to blocking.

Thats exactly what I was going to say haha. Try not to get hit, but if one comes at you, brace the back of your head with your hand to cover up. But always always fire back at them when doing this. If you just stay there covered up, you're going to get dominated, gloves are too small, and you'll just be done. When you cover up, throw a cross or something back at them to kick them out of rhythm and give you time to go back to plan a, using footwork.
danny81
10/27/07 8:20:17PM
alright im saying as a last resort. and should i leave my hand open or make a fist when i place it on my head to b;ock with my forearm?
Believe-in-judo81
10/28/07 12:54:01AM
Always make a fist when doing a forearm block.
danny81
10/28/07 1:11:01AM
wwhy? and put the fiston my headd right?
Believe-in-judo81
10/28/07 7:06:55AM
Sorry my friend, I should have elaborated. When doing forearm blocks for straight punches the form should be as such. Your hands should be balled into fists and planted firmly on your forehead, your upper arms should also be in front anchored firmly to your chest. This form is used because it best absorbs the energy of the punches while conversely spreading out and withstanding the force of the strikes well enough to prevent serious injury.(In most cases)

Hope that's more of a help, if you need it cleared up further then feel free to ask.
danny81
10/28/07 3:02:39PM
thanks alot. i should try and take the blow on the forearm tho. correct?
bayonetxwork
10/28/07 3:59:43PM

Posted by danny81

thanks alot. i should try and take the blow on the forearm tho. correct?

Normally you don't have to try and take it, if you're up against anyone with some sort of accuracy the power punches should be coming to your forearms where your chins at anyways.
lilhef629
11/16/07 6:36:38PM
i think the best is to follow titos blocking he does good
Mastodon2
11/16/07 6:53:51PM

Posted by lilhef629

Best first post ever!
bayonetxwork
11/16/07 10:33:33PM

Posted by lilhef629

Yeah, especially the kind where he turtles up against he fence like he's got boxing gloves on...
fedorwins1
11/17/07 12:52:49PM
Check out Crazy Monkey Boxing for some good MMA blocks.
Svartorm
11/17/07 4:02:52PM
Crazy monkey is cool for street defense, but be weary of two things if you're studying it for MMA.

1. Targeting the hands is illegal in MMA, so trapping the hands into the elbows will get you a foul. I've never seen it called, but I've also never seen it attempted. Its part of the Unified rules though, so I imagine if you're blatantly blocking punches into the elbows, they'll call it.

2. Its a bit more difficult to do the techniques fluidly with MMA gloves on, especially as the strap on the palm tends to get caught on your own ears.

The info is spot on here though. The forearm block is your best bet, especially against a flurry. Just watch Rampage in his last few fights, and he uses it to great effect. You're obviously better off getting out of the way, but for someone who likes to fight inside, you're ******* up your own gameplan by backing off. Just something to consider.
Mastodon2
11/17/07 7:11:32PM
Targeting the hands is illegal? Oh well, the Muay Thai comb block is out the window. With that, you use a hair combing motion and try and make your opponent punch the tip of your elbow, probably resulting in him breaking his hand if you had MMA gloves on and he was hitting hard enough. Great technique, but apparently one to leave in the ring and not take into the cage!
Svartorm
11/17/07 8:16:44PM
Yup, thats why you can't grab the hands either. The hands are not valid targets in MMA. The motion of cover the side of your head in that fashion though is the best way to block looping punches coming at you, that you can't avoid.
fedorwins1
11/18/07 1:55:43PM
Rampage is an excellent example of good blocking for MMA. Watch both his fights with Wandy. Just don't copy the way he defends against knees