Blagoi Ivanov- NOT the new Fedor

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Blagoi Ivanov- NOT the new Fedor
hippysmacker
8/2/09 7:18:19AM
After watching this fight I have to say Ivanov has a subpar gas tank, below average takedown defense,a sloppy guard, and throws mostly wild winging arm punches. In the beginning of the Fight it looked like a Don Frye tribute from both guys. Not Frye/ Takayama, but more like a last minute replacement -out of shape-missing with most of his punches - Don Frye fighting his own doppelganger. Anyway, he deserved the decision IMO, but he and Fujita both gassed early. Later Ivanov landed some straight lefts , while stiff leggedly staggering around the ring. Every time Ivanov threw a punch (or body kick ) in the 3rd round ,Fujita ducked his head down and to the right. Still no head kick too put him away though. I am not sure if he just was too tired, or is literally unable to lift his leg that high. I honestly think any good striker , from 185 to heavy would take his head clean off, and Crocop would end him. Very disappointed. When I heard he dethroned Fedor at combat Sambo , I at least expected this guy to be above average at MMA . Svartorm told me a lot of Sambo/Judo guys don't translate well to MMA , because of the loss of the gi, and this guy doesn't seem to be much of a grappler without one right now. Then Svartorm explained to me how his decision victory over Fedor was unearned in his informed opinion. Dude's best bet is to train under Fedor, instead of getting gift combat Sambo decisions from bad judges , and thinking he can duplicate Fedors success in mma IMO. Seriously a letdown.
kopower
8/2/09 4:37:36PM
Haven't watched the fight yet but I was wondering how well he would do w/o the gi. Sounds like I didn't miss much though and may not be worth wasting 15 minutes of my life I will never get back.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
8/2/09 11:18:05PM
Gotta remember the man is only 22 years old . fedor didnt even start his rings career untill he was 23 . He didnt look so great back then either . Fedor did have the cardio ivanov lacked ( might be due to nerves fighting on such a big stage) .

Svartom is spot on in regards to the gi .
seanfu
8/3/09 2:11:36AM

Posted by hippysmacker

After watching this fight I have to say Ivanov has a subpar gas tank, below average takedown defense,a sloppy guard, and throws mostly wild winging arm punches. In the beginning of the Fight it looked like a Don Frye tribute from both guys. Not Frye/ Takayama, but more like a last minute replacement -out of shape-missing with most of his punches - Don Frye fighting his own doppelganger. Anyway, he deserved the decision IMO, but he and Fujita both gassed early. Later Ivanov landed some straight lefts , while stiff leggedly staggering around the ring. Every time Ivanov threw a punch (or body kick ) in the 3rd round ,Fujita ducked his head down and to the right. Still no head kick too put him away though. I am not sure if he just was too tired, or is literally unable to lift his leg that high. I honestly think any good striker , from 185 to heavy would take his head clean off, and Crocop would end him. Very disappointed. When I heard he dethroned Fedor at combat Sambo , I at least expected this guy to be above average at MMA . Svartorm told me a lot of Sambo/Judo guys don't translate well to MMA , because of the loss of the gi, and this guy doesn't seem to be much of a grappler without one right now. Then Svartorm explained to me how his decision victory over Fedor was unearned in his informed opinion. Dude's best bet is to train under Fedor, instead of getting gift combat Sambo decisions from bad judges , and thinking he can duplicate Fedors success in mma IMO. Seriously a letdown.

I gotta say give the guy a break because his debut was in the number 2 Japanese org in a pcked atadium with a title of the man who beat Fedor, and his debut was against a fighter who has a ton of experiance. And a guy who rocked Fedor if I recall correctly.

But he did physically and technically underwhelm. I wanna wait to judge till he get's a rew more fights.