Black-eyed pea: A conversation with UFC lightweight Jeremy Stephens

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Black-eyed pea: A conversation with UFC lightweight Jeremy Stephens
MMAcca
11/24/08 1:23:05AM
UFC lightweight competitor Jeremy Stephens (14-3) threw a devastating uppercut in the second round of his lightweight battle at UFC 91: "Couture vs Lesnar" that not only sent opponent Rafael Dos Anjos crashing to the floor, but also brought the fans in attendance and at home straight out of their seats.

It was a jaw-dropping ending to a fight that Stephens admits wasn’t exactly heading in the direction he was hoping for when things first got underway.

"He took me down. I really wasn’t expecting for him to take me down. He’s really strong. I was trying to get back up, but he had really, really tight jiu-jitsu. I couldn’t move. I’ve been working on getting up but he left no spaces. He did a good job holding me down. Once I was able to reverse, I made a mistake and he capitalized on it. But you know I’m not going to tap. I’ve got too much heart, too much on the line."

LINK
haggiswashere
11/24/08 1:34:58AM
Why was he surprised that Rafael took him down? Am i being an idiot? I would expect a bjj guy to try and take me down wouldn't you?
jiujitsufreak74
11/24/08 1:37:10AM

Posted by haggiswashere

Why was he surprised that Rafael took him down? Am i being an idiot? I would expect a bjj guy to try and take me down wouldn't you?

he probably thought he wouldn't be able to because a lot of the BJJ guys don't have the wrestling to do so. although in today's age, that has changed a bit.
xAcidburNx
11/24/08 8:54:44AM
I really like this guy. I have ever since he set foot in the octogon. his fighting style and spirit make his fights awesom to watch and you just want to see him win
Pyrenus
11/24/08 9:14:30AM
Absolutely! Hope to see him fight again soon.