What BJJ style would the MMA fighters here most encourage?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » What BJJ style would the MMA fighters here most encourage?
POLL: What style do you think would benefit me for cage competition.
Gracie style all the way. Could fight from guard all day. 9% (3)
Bravo style, wrap em up and sweep sweep sweep 34% (12)
Catch wrestling crushing machine, just like Barnett.ushing 26% (9)
other? 11% (4)
Screw BJJ just Rampage 'em 20% (7)
seanfu
3/6/08 5:06:46PM
For all the MMA fighters out there I wanted to know who favored what type of BJJ. I'm wondering whether guard style BJJ is still relevant.

I want to go with a combo of Submission wrestling/Catch wrestling and Eddie Bravo mission control style. I'm a short guy and a really strong wrestler. I have basic submission skills and once I catch a submission I get it. also, for having short legs I have an active offensive guard.
bayonetxwork
3/6/08 6:18:28PM
I'd go with Bravo. Gracies sometimes seem to content to work off their back, like Diaz. Sometimes this results in a loss, because they're working for subs, but end up losing a decision just because of ground and pound. A lot of Bravo guys work their rubber guard efficiently, that way they don't take too much damage, and then can sweep when they get the position.

But I'm definitely not singling it out. Its important to train every aspect of BJJ because that way you take benefits from every style.
Omega
3/6/08 11:58:25PM
*Rant:

What kind of crap title is that. How the **** does everything grappling suddenly become BJJ. BJJ is BJJ. There's Judo, SAMBO, Catch, Shoot, Sub-wrestling. If you want it to follow the theme you shouldn't have anything up on that title except BJJ styles.

BTW I recommend BJ Penn.
Daddyprimetime
3/7/08 4:25:33AM
Jui Jistsu is Jui Jitsu when it really comes down to it. I really don't think there is an advantage to any style of it. If you can unleash hell on someone without throwing a strike, you seem like you are doing pretty well off to me. I think BJJ became popular because of Royce Gracie, actually I know so. But in all reality Jui Jitsu is an Asian form of martial arts.

Don't get caught up in names, because thats all they are. Would you start doing American Jui Jitsu if Couture started coining the phrase???? Probably not.

Just go out there and do it.
gsquat
3/7/08 3:02:09PM
I really prefer to pull guard. I don't awlays, but I prefer it. If you can pull a pretty high and tight rubber guard, you'll find its easy to pull off all sorts of subs from there. Try'em all... do whichever is most comfortable for you.
MattHughes
3/7/08 6:39:46PM

Posted by gsquat

I really prefer to pull guard. I don't awlays, but I prefer it. If you can pull a pretty high and tight rubber guard, you'll find its easy to pull off all sorts of subs from there. Try'em all... do whichever is most comfortable for you.

lol hes talking about MMA though, I hope you don't fight MMA and pull guard.
Omega
3/7/08 9:15:31PM

Posted by MattHughes

Posted by gsquat

lol hes talking about MMA though, I hope you don't fight MMA and pull guard.

*in my best Bobcat Goldthwait impression:

arrrrgh.....you i kill you if you jump guard...I pull out my gun and shoot you.....Go Genki Sudo on your ass...

Minatour
4/28/08 5:37:35PM

Posted by seanfu

For all the MMA fighters out there I wanted to know who favored what type of BJJ. I'm wondering whether guard style BJJ is still relevant.

I want to go with a combo of Submission wrestling/Catch wrestling and Eddie Bravo mission control style. I'm a short guy and a really strong wrestler. I have basic submission skills and once I catch a submission I get it. also, for having short legs I have an active offensive guard.

guard style bjj? wtf, there is not a style of bjj called guard style
The-Don
5/6/08 8:27:48PM

Posted by Omega

*Rant:

What kind of crap title is that. How the **** does everything grappling suddenly become BJJ. BJJ is BJJ. There's Judo, SAMBO, Catch, Shoot, Sub-wrestling. If you want it to follow the theme you shouldn't have anything up on that title except BJJ styles.

BTW I recommend BJ Penn.

Yea thats what I am wondering... how is everything grappling related always thought of BJJ by default... There are the styles mentioned above not to mention the forerunner jujitsu that the Japanese have All have thier place and alot of it is up to the individual using the style to make it effective..

And BJ Penn had some great training videos on his site and then suddently they changed things and it is like an MMA myspace/youtube and well sucks as you can not find the traning videos he had up any more.
sillysnail
5/11/08 6:27:59PM
the videos are still there, you just have to go to the earlier sections.
The-Don
5/14/08 6:54:13PM

Posted by sillysnail

the videos are still there, you just have to go to the earlier sections.

thanks I am going to have to look... I really do not like the new lay out of BJ's site though it is like a Myspace for MMA...
Guru
5/27/08 5:31:57PM
What about tall fighters?

Catch or shoot maybe?

im 6'3" training at 155
Jackelope
5/27/08 7:51:22PM

Posted by Guru

Catch or shoot maybe?

im 6'3" training at 155

If you've got long legs and you're nice and lanky (at 155 you should be real lanky) I'd go with Bravo JJ. Especially if you've got good flexibility. Either that or I'd work on the gracie jits and just use the hell out of the body triangle.
The-Don
5/27/08 10:54:44PM

Posted by Guru

Catch or shoot maybe?

im 6'3" training at 155

I'm 6'2 255... I do more tradation Jujitsu looking to expand on it... I say train whatever you can and adapt it to your personal style... CRoss train different styles so your not locked in if an opponent knows your style you have other choices to throw at him.
Guru
5/28/08 12:37:07AM
Thanks Guys.

Reference Purposes: i have a 76" reach but i fairly proportionate. my legs arent really any longer than the rest of me.
hodge
6/3/08 6:24:38PM
Sambo all the way i dont understand why everyone is so into BJJ just watch the Fedor vs Nog tapes that says it all.
The-Don
6/3/08 7:44:27PM

Posted by hodge

Sambo all the way i dont understand why everyone is so into BJJ just watch the Fedor vs Nog tapes that says it all.

Thats why i am one of the 4 who picked other...