bjj drills

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » bjj drills
zacatack
6/29/08 8:41:01PM
i just started bjj and was wondering what are some drills that u can do at home are with a partner?
HMA123
6/29/08 8:58:35PM
Most of the BJJ drills i do and know of, do not consist of a partner really.
But what you should do to get technique down is just practice your stuff with a partner over and over. And when you practice open up and try to find more things. There so much you can do with BJJ its not even funny. Practice over and over. Search online, look for books, get new techniques down. But for some drills... http://www.grapplearts.com/Shaolin-Drills.htm

Solo drills, you can practice bridging,shrimping, momentum drills.
Since you just starting out, shrimping and bridging are a big part of grappling , once you learn new stuff you will definetly see how much you use both, and most of the time you wont even notice. Just keep practicing, and dont be afraid to ask any questions.
Omega
6/29/08 9:14:55PM
Wow. With a partners? Where should we start?

Guard pass seperation?
Mount drills?

Youtube is your friend. I'm a huge fan of pick a position and list the drills.

From my guard:
Armbar rotations.
Elevated sweep sit ups
Hip twists

In Side control:
Compose Guard

Have side control:
Hip switch mounting.

In guard:

Wedge guard splits...

Start from there and I'll go into details.

Omega
6/29/08 9:17:56PM

Posted by HMA123

Most of the BJJ drills i do and know of, do not consist of a partner really.
But what you should do to get technique down is just practice your stuff with a partner over and over. And when you practice open up and try to find more things. There so much you can do with BJJ its not even funny. Practice over and over. Search online, look for books, get new techniques down. But for some drills... http://www.grapplearts.com/Shaolin-Drills.htm

Solo drills, you can practice bridging,shrimping, momentum drills.
Since you just starting out, shrimping and bridging are a big part of grappling , once you learn new stuff you will definetly see how much you use both, and most of the time you wont even notice. Just keep practicing, and dont be afraid to ask any questions.

The armbar rotations is what they call the swinging armbar on that page you gave.
dstlvb
6/29/08 10:53:42PM
Everyday in class we do a rotation of drills.

Armbars from the gaurd- With variations from armbars to defending to omaplotas.

Armbars from the mount/ varitiations from side control if you wish.

Triangles from the gaurd

Omaplota drill

Sweep drills to hip escape to sweep. One person does whatever sweep they want, other person hip escapes back to gaurd( butterfly or other) then deoes whatever sweep he wants and continues back and forth.

Guard pass drill. One person does whatever pass he wants and other person works on shrimping back to gaurd and person passes again. After set amount of time switch.

Kimura drill from gaurd. Practice movements for Kimura from gauard.

We also do alot of flow drills. Gullitien from gaurd to triangle to omaplata.

And one we occasionally do is what we call a 20 min flow drill. Roll at about 50% when one person gets a submission you let them get it then allow them to defend it. Just kinda designed to get transitions and such down.
Omega
6/29/08 10:59:18PM

Posted by dstlvb

Everyday in class we do a rotation of drills.

Armbars from the gaurd- With variations from armbars to defending to omaplotas.

Armbars from the mount/ varitiations from side control if you wish.

Triangles from the gaurd

Omaplota drill

Sweep drills to hip escape to sweep. One person does whatever sweep they want, other person hip escapes back to gaurd( butterfly or other) then deoes whatever sweep he wants and continues back and forth.

Guard pass drill. One person does whatever pass he wants and other person works on shrimping back to gaurd and person passes again. After set amount of time switch.

Kimura drill from gaurd. Practice movements for Kimura from gauard.

We also do alot of flow drills. Gullitien from gaurd to triangle to omaplata.

And one we occasionally do is what we call a 20 min flow drill. Roll at about 50% when one person gets a submission you let them get it then allow them to defend it. Just kinda designed to get transitions and such down.

I'm pretty sure you'll agree, while we know what these drills are there's a strong chance beginners have absolutely little idea what we're talking about.
zacatack
6/29/08 11:39:31PM
yea thanks for all the info ima try them right now i can only go to class twice a week so i need something to improve my ground game