BJJ Blue Belt Requirements

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » BJJ Blue Belt Requirements
Kimura_Kush
8/4/09 9:29:07PM
Is there any websites that show you every thing you need to know to get your blue belt? i want to earn it quickly. In video to demonstrate if possible. thanks
wasuppers
8/4/09 11:05:50PM
I think every school has different requirements towards blue belt ranking. There are no universal curriculum for bjj academies. check out roy dean dvd for blue belt if you must. If you are not currently enrolled at an academy I must suggest that you do so as dvd/instructional are worthless without actually having a foundation to apply them from.

p.s stephan kesting has a free ebook which is gewd for those new to bjj.
hope that helps. good luck friend.
Kimura_Kush
8/4/09 11:29:40PM
my academy is under the saulo ribeiro evolution system. if that helps any.
scoozna
8/5/09 11:36:10AM
This reminds me of that joke of the guy in NYC asking "How do I get to Broadway?"

Answer: "Practice, practice, practice".
Rush
8/5/09 11:55:57AM

Posted by wasuppers

I think every school has different requirements towards blue belt ranking. There are no universal curriculum for bjj academies. check out roy dean dvd for blue belt if you must. If you are not currently enrolled at an academy I must suggest that you do so as dvd/instructional are worthless without actually having a foundation to apply them from.

p.s stephan kesting has a free ebook which is gewd for those new to bjj.
hope that helps. good luck friend.

Hmmm, I agree that videos are not that useful to those without a grasp of the basics, but I wouldn't recommend a book either.

I was at a Gracie seminar a long time ago (actually I think Jeff Joslin got his blue belt at that seminar, but I could have misunderstood. Royce basically just walked around watching a bunch of guys rolling and gave blue belts to those that he felt desverved them. A lot of the time belts are just given when the instructor feels the student is deserving.

Why would you want to get a rank as fast as possible? The rank means very little unless you want to compete, but then why would you want to compete if you fast tracked it to that rank and therefore lack training and experience/????
Gipper
8/5/09 5:57:12PM
consistantly tapout blue belts at the gym
RyanC
8/29/09 5:10:40PM
Attaining a specific rank as fast as possible is the completely wrong attitude to have when approaching BJJ. If your belt is to be worth anything at all it must be attained through hard work, dedication, and many many hours spent in the gym.

We are told consistently at my gym that your rank does not matter it is your knowledge, technique and skill that is important. The rank will come once that knowledge, skill, and technique have been adequately demonstrated.

Nightmare27
8/29/09 5:23:07PM
Joemoplata
8/31/09 12:10:55PM

Posted by Kimura_Kush

my academy is under the saulo ribeiro evolution system. if that helps any.

Saulo has very specific requirements for belt promotions, his program is known to be extremely difficult for promotions and he has his own specific guidelines. I would just ask your instructor what the requirements are, if you are at Saulo's place just ask him directly.
Vendetta
9/12/09 5:04:59PM
Forget about blue belt and just concentrate on learning the techniques themselves. I see way too many white belts coming into BJJ simply focused on gaining the next belt and not focused nearly enough on learning the actual techniques. The result, more often than not, is a spazzy white belt with crap technique still trying to outmuscle everybody even after a year of training, thinking that if he can just "beat" this blue belt then the instructor will notice and give him his as well.