BJJ

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » BJJ
DJBlankenship
9/3/10 7:18:10PM
I had my first class yesterday. Have to say it was fun has hell.

I was just wondering if there was any kind of workouts I can do it the gym to help me get better??
Rush
9/3/10 10:15:42PM

Posted by DJBlankenship

I was just wondering if there was any kind of workouts I can do it the gym to help me get better??

If you want to get better at BJJ, just keep doing BJJ and keep your body healthy (injury free and eat well, etc)

You will get much further in any martial art by mastering the techniques rather than trying to focus on getting better by other means.

Once you feel that you are starting to master the techniques then I would suggest shifting focus on getting an edge by other means.
BlueSkiesBurn
9/3/10 10:23:46PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by DJBlankenship

If you want to get better at BJJ, just keep doing BJJ and keep your body healthy (injury free and eat well, etc)

You will get much further in any martial art by mastering the techniques rather than trying to focus on getting better by other means.

Once you feel that you are starting to master the techniques then I would suggest shifting focus on getting an edge by other means.

Be careful how you phrase this...we don't want him facing 30 years in prison for lying to congress about using performance enhancing substances.
tcunningham
9/3/10 10:54:43PM
learn to use your hips. that's the one thing beginners should keep in mind. if you can move your hips you will see much improvement. lots of shrimping, bridging. learn to throw your hips up and into your triangles and armlocks. hips are very important on top as well. you get your base from your hips and a good base is key to controlling your opponent. if you can, do both gi and no-gi ju-jitsu. they compliment each other. work on technique over strength. strength is important but you don't want to rely on it. once you have good technique then you can throw strength into good technique and it is very devastating.
DJBlankenship
9/4/10 7:04:19AM

Posted by tcunningham

learn to use your hips. that's the one thing beginners should keep in mind. if you can move your hips you will see much improvement. lots of shrimping, bridging. learn to throw your hips up and into your triangles and armlocks. hips are very important on top as well. you get your base from your hips and a good base is key to controlling your opponent. if you can, do both gi and no-gi ju-jitsu. they compliment each other. work on technique over strength. strength is important but you don't want to rely on it. once you have good technique then you can throw strength into good technique and it is very devastating.

we are doing no gi. And we did alot of shrimping. I was just wondering about the weights because I lift about 5 days a week. We did get to grapple at the end for a little. I did 4 matches(all with the same guy). I tapped him 3 out of 4 matches and on the 4th, we got stopped because I rolled him off the mat. He was a bit younger than me(I'm 29, he's about 20/21). He said he did Judo and was a little bit bigger than me. So, I thought I was pretty much screwed lol.
Rush
9/4/10 2:02:01PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

careful how you phrase this...we don't want him facing 30 years in prison for lying to congress about using performance enhancing substances.

True, I didn't think it sounded like that until you mentioned it.

All in all I think he'll progress faster by focusing on the techniques. If he already works out then even better.
Rush
9/4/10 7:12:54PM
I do want to add that I think trying to improve your flexibility will help in both executing positional movement and submissions as well as being resistant and resilient to submissions.

Weight training without maintaining good flexibility can be counter productive in that respect.
DJBlankenship
9/4/10 9:31:50PM

Posted by Rush

I do want to add that I think trying to improve your flexibility will help in both executing positional movement and submissions as well as being resistant and resilient to submissions.

Weight training without maintaining good flexibility can be counter productive in that respect.

looks like I need to break out the p90x yoga vids again