Bizarre question

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Bizarre question
Westley
6/22/09 5:11:23PM
Okay, this is obviously not a sound training program- and I'm not really asking for advice on my general training program because last time I asked a forum about training methods I disagreed strongly with what they said. (Personally, I don't feel curls or benching is really necessary, and I replace a lot of typical training methods with random body weight ones- as far as I'm concerned the best workouts are ballet ones. )

Anyway, my real question is, what would happen if you never worked out, but you just spent 3-4 hours every day hitting the bag with ten pound weights? 20 minutes of punching with the left hand, 20 minutes with the right, 20 minutes with right roundhouse kicks, twenty minutes with left, etc, etc. I do this anyway, but obviously I work out as well, and I only do it for an hour or so a day. I generally take about 2-3 minute breaks before switching limbs, because I want to work out the body parts more than my cardio, which is more than high enough. I can fight all day, but my punches are only strong because of technique. It's not b/c of lack of curls, it's more just lack of training until more recently, and they are fast as all hell. My legs are legitmately baseball bats though.

I just want to know what kind of body type you would develop if you're only workout was hitting stuff. Although I can't kick the bag with those weights on anymore because black powder was coming out of them.
The_Ho_Bag
6/23/09 12:35:08AM

Posted by Westley

Okay, this is obviously not a sound training program- and I'm not really asking for advice on my general training program because last time I asked a forum about training methods I disagreed strongly with what they said. (Personally, I don't feel curls or benching is really necessary, and I replace a lot of typical training methods with random body weight ones- as far as I'm concerned the best workouts are ballet ones. )

Anyway, my real question is, what would happen if you never worked out, but you just spent 3-4 hours every day hitting the bag with ten pound weights? 20 minutes of punching with the left hand, 20 minutes with the right, 20 minutes with right roundhouse kicks, twenty minutes with left, etc, etc. I do this anyway, but obviously I work out as well, and I only do it for an hour or so a day. I generally take about 2-3 minute breaks before switching limbs, because I want to work out the body parts more than my cardio, which is more than high enough. I can fight all day, but my punches are only strong because of technique. It's not b/c of lack of curls, it's more just lack of training until more recently, and they are fast as all hell. My legs are legitmately baseball bats though.

I just want to know what kind of body type you would develop if you're only workout was hitting stuff. Although I can't kick the bag with those weights on anymore because black powder was coming out of them.

if im correct but i dont think you should be kicking and punching with weights on? i think its bad for the bones?
Joemoplata
6/23/09 9:51:52AM
Well, since you're doing an exercise that you can do for a full 20 minutes it's more aerobic than anaerobic so I would think that it's going to produce a lean body style with good muscle tone but not good muscle size. The strength produced from this type of training would be ideal for endurance training but not ideal for explosivity.
Westley
6/23/09 6:09:14PM
Thanks. Laid it out so simply I almost kicked myself in the head for not figuring it out on my own. Props.

My only question is if wearing the weights, doing aerobic activity first, doing it in short repetitive 100% bursts, and using one limb at a time until it's dead, would increase the explosivity and muscle growth more than just increasing stamina and tone. That would make the workout more anaerobic, correct?

My workout style tends to emphasize cardio and speed over brute strength- I don't want a big arm, I want a solid one.

If I have any ideas that you think are ill conceived, tell me. I'm just starting to get serious at this so I'm sure I have a lot of ideas wrong, but I also have really good people who I get my ideas from.
Joemoplata
6/24/09 2:53:22PM

Posted by Westley

Thanks. Laid it out so simply I almost kicked myself in the head for not figuring it out on my own. Props.

My only question is if wearing the weights, doing aerobic activity first, doing it in short repetitive 100% bursts, and using one limb at a time until it's dead, would increase the explosivity and muscle growth more than just increasing stamina and tone. That would make the workout more anaerobic, correct?

My workout style tends to emphasize cardio and speed over brute strength- I don't want a big arm, I want a solid one.

If I have any ideas that you think are ill conceived, tell me. I'm just starting to get serious at this so I'm sure I have a lot of ideas wrong, but I also have really good people who I get my ideas from.

Westley,

It boils down to fast twitch and slow twitch muscles and how they both best respond to exercise. Here's a post I made on another forum concerning a similar question, it may help explain it:

There are two major types of skeletal muscles: Type I (Slow twitch) and Type II (Fast Twitch).

Type I muscle fibers are very good at converting oxygen to energy for contraction for continuous, extended muscle contractions for long periods of time. They act slower than Type II muscles, but are more efficient and can work a long time before fatiguing. These are known as the Aerobic muscles.

Type II muscle fibers do not use oxygen well for energy sources (there are actually two types of Type II muscles, Type IIa adn Type IIB but we won't worry about that for now). They use an anaerobic process to convert glycogen into energy. These muscles have a very fast contraction rate, but are not efficient and fatigue quickly.

Generally speaking, most people have about a 50% ratio of Type I to Type II muscle fibers. It is generally thought that that ratio, while it can vary between individuals, cannot be altered through training because without an external source, one cannot CREATE new muscle fibers. You can increase their size and strengh, though.

Type I muscle fibers are slow to increase in size, but can be made to be more efficient (work the same with less oxygen). The way to do this is to improve what is called your anaerobic threshold. Remember, your Type II muscles will kick in when you are asking them to perform quickly (with force). So, the longer you can go without needing these muscles to perform means longer "cardio" capability (the ability to function on oxygen instead of glycogen). This is where running and stuff come into play, over time you are increasing your anaerobic threshold.

Type II muscle fibers will respond to hard work by doing two things:

Increasing the total amount of muscle fibers and motors being used per contraction (increase in strength)

Increasing the size of the muscle fibers (muscle hypertrophy or bigger muscles).

In order to get the best response from your Type II muscle fibers for an increase in strength is to perform FAST MUSCLE CONTRACTIONS AT THEIR MAXIMUM CAPABILITY. This would mean doing low reps with explosivity. Also, takes long breaks in between to ensure that your lactic acid buildup doesn't occur which can block the anaerobic process. This is why plyometrics are so useful as getting stronger. But this is NOT the best way to induce hypertrophy.

In order to get the best response from your Type II muscle fibers for hypertrophy is to perform multiple contractions to fatigue DURING AN ANAEROBIC Phase. What this means is that you need to fatigue them before slipping into aerobic training which is no longer working your Type II muscle groups.

Since this can vary depending on the muscle group and it's ratio of Type I to Type I muscle types, and since each person has unique ratios...it's hard to say where this range occurs. Most people seem to agree that it's generally aroung the 6 to 10 range. This mean 6 to 10 reps to near failure or failure of that muscle group.

Anything past this and you are essentially working aerobically which will have more impact on your Slow Twitch muscles. Also, since it's aerobic in nature it has a different impact on energy consumption and will result in a higher fat burning ratio.

So....this is a very long, very detailed way to say:

If you want to get strong: Do heavy weight with low reps (1 - 5) and long rest periods (2 to 3 minutes).

If you want to get big: Do heavy to medium weights with medium reps (6 to 10) and shorter rest periods (1 minute).

If you want endurance and fat loss: Do lighter weights with higher reps (10 to 20) and little rest periods (less than 30 seconds).