Bittersweet victory.. a new era of fighters?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Bittersweet victory.. a new era of fighters?
Jackelope
9/7/08 11:56:44AM
First of all- Props to Rashad. (Even though I dislike his showboating and non-commital style immensely) Greg Jackson once again implements a great gameplan and his fighter executes it perfectly. I really do believe Greg Jackson has Chuck Liddell's number.

That being said, the victory was bittersweet. Of course I wanted Chuck to win, but I'm glad we're reaching an era in MMA where fighters can't get away with keeping their hands down anymore. Chuck is notorious for keeping his hands low and he's been made to pay for it several times now. The game is evolving past his level of striking. Good for MMA.

Rich Franklin was another example of great striking in MMA last night. For once Hamill faces a contender who knows how to mix it up on the body correctly. Rich changes levels with his strikes perfectly and ends combinations by stepping to the side and blasting a leg kick. He executed almost perfect Muay Thai style striking if you ask me. The liver kick KO was amazing. Probably the highlight of the night for me.

I hope fans take notice of the increasing skill level in the UFC. More importantly, I hope all the haters who talk up boxers vs. MMA guys start to notice some real skill out there.

Edit: Ahh, yes... I forgot about Marquardt's feathered jab to high kick. Another beautiful feint to score an awesome headkick. Just another example of the game evolving

Twenty20Dollars
9/7/08 12:15:00PM
Yeah I agree with you on the chuck keeping his hands low. I mean I know chuck likes to do that to bait his opponents but it finally worked against him and got him KO'ed. So for chuck it's either adapt and survive or die off(not literally)

Edit: Rashad also had good head movement. Also I just noticed as i watched the Rashad/Chuck fight that Chuck didnt follow his usual game plan. Chuck was chasing rashad and rashad was countering and got the overhand right.
MFOTHER
9/7/08 2:21:26PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Edit: Rashad also had good head movement. Also I just noticed as i watched the Rashad/Chuck fight that Chuck didnt follow his usual game plan. Chuck was chasing rashad and rashad was countering and got the overhand right.

exactly. chuck was stalking like he was trying to be wanderlei or something. Overconfidence? rashad basically pulled a chuck liddell on chuck
Jackelope
9/8/08 1:19:25AM
Man... no love for this thread? I thought this was a pretty interesting topic for one and for two I thought last night was a momentus occasion for showing the striking game evolving past Chuck. Boo hoo