Bisping reveals UFC discussion over title shot

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Bisping reveals UFC discussion over title shot
prophecy033
6/5/12 12:05:57AM
Michael Bisping described to ESPN over the weekend a recent chat he had with the UFC's top brass, which appeared to hint he might get the next middleweight title shot, if Chael Sonnen beats Anderson Silva.

Bisping was one win away from booking his shot at UFC gold when he fought Sonnen in January. The decision of that three-round war went Sonnen's way, but UFC president Dana White felt Bisping won.

Sonnen is now preparing to meet champion Silva, while Bisping must continue to press his claims against Tim Boetsch. If the Brit wins, there is nobody making a stronger case than him to get that next title shot - despite the fact the last fight on his record is a loss.

Link
frizzzlecake
6/5/12 12:27:08AM
I hope Tim smacks Spitsburg around solely because I don't think Bisping has earned his shot. He hasn't beat one ranked opponent, this reminds of Dan Hardy's title shot.
FastKnockout
6/5/12 1:45:33AM

Posted by frizzzlecake

I hope Tim smacks Spitsburg around solely because I don't think Bisping has earned his shot. He hasn't beat one ranked opponent, this reminds of Dan Hardy's title shot.

Yeah, but Bisping does have a decent record and let's be honest, who else is there? Lombard?
Poor_Franklin
6/5/12 1:50:17AM
i dare Bisping to overlook Boetsch.
ChrisSabal
6/5/12 2:37:20AM
I'd rather see Munoz fight Silva/Sonnen next if he gets past Weidman
Pookie
6/5/12 2:52:51AM
I'll never get over how Bisping says he was robbed of a decision win against Wanderlei, all the while claiming he clearly beat Hammill.
Twenty20Dollars
6/5/12 3:59:58AM
So Bisping loses, takes one fight and then will get a title shot? But, only if Chael wins the title, b/c those two were in a close fight?

Makes perfect sense, just pass over other people in the division.

Adrenaline
6/5/12 6:07:45AM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

i dare Bisping to overlook Boetsch.

LightsOUT23
6/5/12 7:12:53AM
Worse things have happened in the UFC. Justin Eilers fought for the title against Arlovski after being Ko'd in his previous fight ????
Bubbles
6/5/12 7:35:46AM
Munoz deserves the next shot regardless. Not sure if Weidman does over Bisping though.
Budgellism
6/5/12 7:45:34AM

Posted by Bubbles

Munoz deserves the next shot regardless. Not sure if Weidman does over Bisping though.

Winner of munoz/weidman definitely deserves it over Bisping imo. He's coming off a loss and he's never beaten anyone in the middleweight division that should earn him a shot.
Kpro
6/5/12 8:12:58AM
If Chael and Bisping were to win, can you imagine the money they'd make on a Chael/Bisping II PPV for the title IN the UK, even just from UK consumers who have never bought a UFC PPV before? Munoz/Weidman would be stuck on the business-end of the sport but for obvious reasons. I'm not saying it's right sports-wise, but it would be the right business choice.
prophecy033
6/5/12 10:58:18AM

Posted by LightsOUT23

Worse things have happened in the UFC. Justin Eilers fought for the title against Arlovski after being Ko'd in his previous fight ????

that was what, 5-6 years ago? The UFC has a LOT more options now
LightsOUT23
6/5/12 1:13:19PM
Mark munoz cannot get a title shot after beating Weidman, no way. If Bisping beats Boesch who just ko'd Okami, that's worthy or a title shot more than Munoz beating Weidman on the basis that we know Bisping can hang with Sonnen. Make no mistake, I am not a big Bisping fan, But credit where its due. I wouldn't give Bisping too much of a chance against Silva, but in a rematch with Sonnen over 5 rounds for the title, styles make fights and Chael under estimating Bisping last time they fought. No wrestler regardless of the outcome has been able to hold Bisping down entirely for a whole fight, Even Chael couldn't do it. If they ever meet again, My money would be on Bisping.
bjj1605
6/5/12 6:41:14PM
I agree with Dana.

I thought Bisping should have won the decision against Chael.

I'm not sure how people can say he doesn't deserve a shot after the performance he put on against Sonnen.

If he beats Boetsch, he's the number 1 contender.
BossHog
6/5/12 8:28:14PM
Possibly the toughest matchup for Chael as far as striking skills combined with defensive wrestling. Also if Bisping pulled it out it would be possible the easiest realistic fight in the division for Anderson Silva to get his belt back imo.