Bisping & Leben Both Want Title Shot

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Bisping & Leben Both Want Title Shot
Next Page »
MMAcca
10/9/08 2:30:24PM
Michael Bisping and Chris Leben both agree that the winner of their fight should be the next middleweight title challenger.

Speaking ahead of their headline clash at UFC 89 in England next week, the pair were frank about the potential ranking implications.

“I’ve said it before, I think this fight will be a deciding factor in who will be at that top tier in the middleweight division,” said Leben. “Who’s going to be in line for a title shot and who is going to fall back down into the middle of the pack?”

Bisping agreed: “Whoever wins this fight moves onwards and upwards to title contention, while its back to the middle of the pack for the loser. So obviously there is a lot riding on it.”

Fans of the TUF3 winner have long cited him as a potential champion, but he has not yet had a title shot in his time with the UFC.

However, Leben has fought middleweight boss Anderson Silva once before – and was stopped with a knee strike just 43 seconds into the first round.

“I can’t say how Michael is going to perform if he fights Anderson Silva, obviously I’ve fought him once and it didn’t go that well,” Leben laughed. But “I’m a much better fighter now and the Chris Leben of today wouldn’t make the same mistakes.”

LINK
nickcuc547
10/9/08 2:39:23PM
no
DevonFoxy
10/9/08 2:39:24PM

Posted by MMAcca

Michael Bisping and Chris Leben both agree that the winner of their fight should be the next middleweight title challenger.

Speaking ahead of their headline clash at UFC 89 in England next week, the pair were frank about the potential ranking implications.

“I’ve said it before, I think this fight will be a deciding factor in who will be at that top tier in the middleweight division,” said Leben. “Who’s going to be in line for a title shot and who is going to fall back down into the middle of the pack?”

Bisping agreed: “Whoever wins this fight moves onwards and upwards to title contention, while its back to the middle of the pack for the loser. So obviously there is a lot riding on it.”

Fans of the TUF3 winner have long cited him as a potential champion, but he has not yet had a title shot in his time with the UFC.

However, Leben has fought middleweight boss Anderson Silva once before – and was stopped with a knee strike just 43 seconds into the first round.

“I can’t say how Michael is going to perform if he fights Anderson Silva, obviously I’ve fought him once and it didn’t go that well,” Leben laughed. But “I’m a much better fighter now and the Chris Leben of today wouldn’t make the same mistakes.”

LINK

This makes no sense at all. With fighters like Marquardt, Yushin, Demian, heck even if Lister wins and of course Henderson.

No way does either of them deserve a shot at the title seeing neither of them has face competition that is in the top 20 and beaten them at MW.
MMAcca
10/9/08 2:43:18PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

This makes no sense at all. With fighters like Marquardt, Yushin, Demian, heck even if Lister wins and of course Henderson.

No way does either of them deserve a shot at the title seeing neither of them has face competition that is in the top 20 and beaten them at MW.

I agree.
Twenty20Dollars
10/9/08 2:52:40PM
Well the both want the title shot but neither or them are going to get a title shot with a win over the other but they will move into a higher contender spot.

I personally would rather see Leben vs Silva 2 or Cote vs Leben 2(whether it be a 3x5 or a title fight)
waylon_o
10/9/08 2:54:04PM
Beating either fighter would not warrant a title shot for either one of them in my book. The middleweight division isn't all that stacked, but neither one of them (especially Leben) has done anything worthy of a title shot?
Darnok
10/9/08 3:10:52PM

Posted by waylon_o

Beating either fighter would not warrant a title shot for either one of them in my book. The middleweight division isn't all that stacked, but neither one of them (especially Leben) has done anything worthy of a title shot?

I would rather see silva/franklin 3 or silva/henderson 2 or okami
tuvok500
10/9/08 3:16:15PM
I think Bisping with a win would have to face Hendo and them having a title shot.

As for the next after Cote, i think Marquardt will be the next to have a second chance.

Of course , if Cote shock the world it may change the picture !!

ziegler3334
10/9/08 4:25:33PM
i don't think either of them will get a shot after this fight. Bisping would need one more, probably the same for leben. I think that if okami beats lister, he will get the shot, which he deserves. as for these two, i see bisping winning and fighting marquardt to see who gets the next shot. if leben wins, i see the same opponent.

the only problem with this is bisping/leben is in october, same as silva, and okami isnt until december. so the time table would work out better for bisping/leben than it would for okami. i see them waiting to do anything until after okami/lister. If okami wins and can fight again soon, itll be him. if he loses or cannot fight again soon, i think they'll just give it to bisping/leben winner or nate marquardt if bisping/leben is not as exciting as billed.

no matter what happens, i don't see any of these people beating anderson silva.
stock
10/9/08 5:19:52PM
I guess I am out on my own little island here, but I would not mind this at all. I would actually like to see the winner fight Silva.

Although I have Marquardt ranked higher than both, he still has that crappy fight against Leites just 2 fights ago. He has just 1 win since, and IMO that doesn't give him a HUGE argument for a title shot either.

Isn't Henderson moving up to 205 again? Plus, it wasn't too long ago that they already fought.

Okami probably has a good argument, but coming off a long layoff, he probably should get another fight first.

All that being said, I think Bisping/Silva would be an outstanding fight for the fans too.
gsquat
10/9/08 5:25:48PM
No. Either would have to face Hendo.
postman
10/9/08 6:00:57PM
Leban must not have learned his lesson!
tdietel01
10/9/08 6:20:46PM
I guess i am one of the few not sold on hendo!?!? why would/should he get a shot at silva before either of these two? he is 1-2 in the UFC, and recently lost to silva. i think he is a long ways off from another title shot.
postman
10/9/08 7:11:21PM
yeah but 1-2 with 2 title loses. He was beating Silva in the first round and if either of them steped into the cage with Hendo it wouldn't last long.
iwannabesedated
10/9/08 7:20:20PM
Whats the big deal if they think they're both worthy of a title shot..I'm sure every fighter thinks they're worthy of a shot..But if it helps to motivate thinking they may have a shot at the title then let them think that it'll make for a better fight.Dan is fighting Rich at 205 so its hard to tell where he'll even be after that fight 185 or 205 who knows and why even put Dan in the 185 Picture...Okami/Lister and Marquadt should all be above him as well as the winner of Bisping Leben.
SpiderSilva
10/9/08 8:35:46PM
For some reason I still think Okami should be next
pinoymixplaya
10/9/08 8:45:22PM
I am sorry, but Okami is well deserving of a title shot and I think he is overdue. If he shuts down Dean Lister, Okami will be next in line. I am tired of the UFC trying to push their TUF guys towards the top, where the other guys who worked the hard and long way have to wait in line *cough Forrest cough*
mach
10/10/08 12:09:01AM
Okami should be next in line but I get the feeling that if Bisping wins it will be him, unless they do that American vs. USA season of TUF with Hendo and Bisping that was rumored.
MMAcca
10/10/08 1:40:51AM

Posted by postman

yeah but 1-2 with 2 title loses. He was beating Silva in the first round and if either of them steped into the cage with Hendo it wouldn't last long.

Doesn't matter. The fact is that Hendo is 1-2 since he returned to the UFC and he hasn't looked good in any of those 3 fights imo.

He's nowhere near deserving of a title shot in the MW division or the LHW division and his constant switching of the 2 is not going to help him at all.

jiujitsufreak74
10/10/08 1:47:17AM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by postman

Doesn't matter. The fact is that Hendo is 1-2 since he returned to the UFC and he hasn't looked good in any of those 3 fights imo.

He's nowhere near deserving of a title shot in the MW division or the LHW division and his constant switching of the 2 is not going to help him at all.

i 100% disagree with you here. the fight with Rampage was a 5 round decision that was very well fought and extremely close. Henderson looked formidable in that fight imo. in his fight with Anderson he dominated the fighter that some consider to be the P4P best in the world for the whole first round. unfortunately, he broke away from his game plan and payed for it late in the 2nd. but anyone who can dominate Anderson Silva the way Hendo did in the 1st is a top fighter. and in his last fight against Palhares Hendo showed that he knew how to handle a top BJJ guy. Palahres is no joke and when he grabs a hold of you, you better start praying. Hendo showed very good sub defense and the ability to follow his game plan en route to a UD victory. i don't understand how you didn't think he looked good in those 3 fights.
artofdefense
10/10/08 8:54:12AM
Hendo showed terrible sub defense and was constantly fighting heel hooks. I realize Palahres didn't get the sub, but threatening that many times does not speak well of Hendo's defense, because constantly being an inch from losing is not good defense.
postman
10/10/08 12:18:26PM

Posted by artofdefense

Hendo showed terrible sub defense and was constantly fighting heel hooks. I realize Palahres didn't get the sub, but threatening that many times does not speak well of Hendo's defense, because constantly being an inch from losing is not good defense.

BJJ is a game of inches and seconds. Saying that not getting Sub is not a good defense is like saying not getting koed is not a good defense, it makes no sense. If he was so close to losing so many times how did he win a decision? I didn't feel that Palahres had that many chances to sub Dan. Just because a guy grabs your leg dosn't mean he was close to tapping you out just like if every time a guy grab an arm they said oh almost got that arm bar.

Yushin should get his shot and Dan should be next.
telnights
10/10/08 5:27:28PM
Neither are worthy of this yet. There are a lot of people ahead of them right now.
MMAcca
10/11/08 1:03:31AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by postman

i 100% disagree with you here. the fight with Rampage was a 5 round decision that was very well fought and extremely close. Henderson looked formidable in that fight imo. in his fight with Anderson he dominated the fighter that some consider to be the P4P best in the world for the whole first round. unfortunately, he broke away from his game plan and payed for it late in the 2nd. but anyone who can dominate Anderson Silva the way Hendo did in the 1st is a top fighter. and in his last fight against Palhares Hendo showed that he knew how to handle a top BJJ guy. Palahres is no joke and when he grabs a hold of you, you better start praying. Hendo showed very good sub defense and the ability to follow his game plan en route to a UD victory. i don't understand how you didn't think he looked good in those 3 fights.

I thought Rampage looked comfortable throughout the 5 rounds and was disapointed in hendo as he never looked like finishing the fight. Also, everybody seems to think it's amazing that Hendo won A ROUND against Anderson Silva. It's not. I disagree that he dominated the round, but yes he did win it.

Against Palhares i thought Hendo looked terrible. He was almost scared to engage for 75% of the fight and seemed happy to throw the odd jab to try and set up that big right hand.

Henderson is one of my favourite fighters and i was expecting so much of him when he signed from PRIDE but he has not delivered imo. Maybe that is why i'm being so harsh about him...
haggiswashere
10/11/08 4:46:30PM
neither of them deserve it yet. Bisping is overrated. and leben hasn't beat a big name since losing to silva the first time.
DvS
10/11/08 11:53:47PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

For some reason I still think Okami should be next

He blew that with Franklin

I say he gets a few more good wins under his belt and he is in line for a shot at a contender again
Ben_Hutch
10/12/08 11:46:42AM
I'm picking Bisping, anyone want an avatar bet??
DvS
10/14/08 7:09:00PM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

I'm picking Bisping, anyone want an avatar bet??

Don't you have an Av bet going with some other guy right now? If not I'll Av bet you
bls1919
10/14/08 8:28:40PM
IMO both of these guys are this win and one more away from a title shot. The winner faces Hendo for #1
MMAcca
10/15/08 12:50:15AM

Posted by bls1919

IMO both of these guys are this win and one more away from a title shot. The winner faces Hendo for #1

No way. Hendo is fighting at 205 in his next bout, so why should he be one of the two fighters trying to be number one contender ?

Pages: [1] 2