Bisping vs Leben - the outcome of the fight ...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » Spoilers Forum » Bisping vs Leben - the outcome of the fight ...
Next Page »
keith-hackney1
10/18/08 6:30:29PM
IMO Bisping clearly won the fight, I think arguably Leben had round 2 so bisping could of won 2 rounds to 1. As i said in another post, bisping has a hell of alot of improvement needed if he is to ever be taken seriously as a title contender. Leben is a tough dude, thats why i wont slate bisping for not coming out of that fight with a tko finish. Bisping at this point in his career probably wouldn't have the power needed to unanimously stop leben in his tracks.
Leben's physical appearance looks like he's lost some fat, and replaced it with muscle, he looks lean, i think he had a huge opportunity to upset bisping tonight, but he did not want it, he didn't really go for it.
I am not impressed with bisping's performance, a little shaky, Leben didn't impress me either, both guy's did not live upto the hype. Bisping played it safe and got the win, leben wanted to put on an entertaining show, he did that, so not all bad. Now its in the books.

Any thoughts .. ?????

Note: Keep this post clean, if your opinion on either fighter is hate related, do not post on here. Lets see some sensible opinions on the fight from serious fight fans. No smut..... Thanks - "Giant killer keith" :)
DvS
10/18/08 6:38:03PM
Well, for now I think Leben was screwed, and I can't wait to see the fight again tonight on TV. For now I would probably only give Round 1 to Bisping, 2 and 3 to Leben. I do not know what people think Bisping did any better than Leben, I mean he didn't do anything major or technical to Leben, he didn't try to control him at all. I don't see how you can win a fight by Jabbing and backpedalling the whole time, not to mention by turning your back on your opponent and running alongside the cage. I think Leben won because...

- Leben was very fluid, very smart when it came to defending things, quick to defend
- Leben was the aggressor, always moving towards/into Bisping
- Leben had Bisping on the run multiple times
- Leben landed more shots, punches and kicks
- Leben escaped all of Bispings attempts for a takedown or clinch
- Leben scored only takedown of the fight
- Leben controlled him from that point
- Leben used octagon control
- Leben made Bisping look like a fool and Bisping couldn't even hurt him with free punches/kicks

I just wish someone could explain right here and right now what Bisping did that was so much better than all Leben did. I mean if you compare what they both did in the fight Bisping has nothing on Leben at all. I thought all that Leben did in the fight used to count for something, especially takedowns and octagon control? Guess not anymore.
Ben_Hutch
10/18/08 6:38:31PM
I disagree with you, Bisping stuck to his gameplan and it worked perfectly for him, he didn't take any chances, he hit Leben on the counter and then moved away, to me he looked very impressive.
DvS
10/18/08 6:44:25PM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

I disagree with you, Bisping stuck to his gameplan and it worked perfectly for him, he didn't take any chances, he hit Leben on the counter and then moved away, to me he looked very impressive.

I know and it's alright, who knows? Maybe I will see a different fight on a big clear screen tonight. I am not biased whatsoever though, I went into this fight looking to forward to what both fighters were going to do. I just thought Leben executed everything he did very well
keith-hackney1
10/18/08 6:49:05PM
I cant understand this "back peddling" or "run away" perspective that MMA fans use in the observation of a fight. running away or moving back is what i call not getting hit when being attacked with a barrage of punches or kicks. There's no shame in that, its called clever thinking in my opinion. Why would bisping or anyone stand there and take a hit when the option to walk back or jog to the other side of the octagon to reset your stance is right there in front of you. Being elusive is not chickening out. Thats the whole idea of fighting safe, Get in there and win with minimal damage is smart, not stupid. Machida has the same idea. Its not running away, its fighting smart. The scoring of points without taking silly shots in situations where you claim bisping was running away is the difference between winning on the points rather than loosing. If bisping backs away then counters and scores as he did, he scores on the points system, it pays off as he won the fight.
Ben_Hutch
10/18/08 6:52:42PM

Posted by DvS

-Leben was very fluid, very smart when it came to defending things, quick to defend
- Leben was the aggressor, always moving towards/into Bisping
- Leben had Bisping on the run multiple times
- Leben landed more shots, punches and kicks
- Leben escaped all of Bispings attempts for a takedown or clinch
- Leben scored only takedown of the fight
- Leben controlled him from that point
- Leben used octagon control
- Leben made Bisping look like a fool and Bisping couldn't even hurt him with free punches/kicks

I just wish someone could explain right here and right now what Bisping did that was so much better than all Leben did. I mean if you compare what they both did in the fight Bisping has nothing on Leben at all. I thought all that Leben did in the fight used to count for something, especially takedowns and octagon control? Guess not anymore.

To go through your points one by one:

- Leben was fluid & fast ect, but so was Bisping, even more so infact.

- Leben was the agressor and always moving forward yes, but Bisping's gameplan was to move away and he was "elusive" as Goldy said, it's just fighting smart and not taking a hit, why should be take a hit when he doesn't have to.

- Leben had Bisping on the run multiple times? Well, that implies Leben landed some big shots which he didn't, so that's just not true.

- Leben landed more shots, punches and kicks? Really? I don't think so, Bisping landed more cleaner punches and deffinately did more damage than Leben.

- Leben did escape "all" (2 i think?) of Bisping's takedowns yes, but he didn't defend all his attempts for the clinch, Bisping got the clinch quite a few times.

- Leben scored the only takedown of the fight, true, but scoring one takedown in 3 rounds doesn't count for a whole lot.

- Leben controlled Bisping once he got the takedown? That's not true, Bisping used the cage and got back to his feet.

- Leben used octagon controll, not really true, yes Leben was moving towards Bisping but Bisping was landing good shots and Leben never had controll.

- "Leben made Bisping look like a fool and Bisping couldn't even hurt him with free punches/kicks" Yes, you're right, Bisping looked like a complete fool when his hand was raised in victory, do you know why Leben was letting Bisping hit him? Because he was fustrated, why was he fustrated? Because he was losing the fight.

At the end of the day, yes Leben was moving forward, but Bisping landed a lot more clean punches and did a lot more danage than Leben did, Bisping never looked in trouble and Bisping dominated.
owen1
10/18/08 6:54:22PM
Bisping clearly won.I don't really see how anyone can say he didnt.
He used the right gameplan to beat leben.He let Leben come to him and used his jab to keep the distance and pick Leben off.What do you expect him to brawl with Leben??? bcoz we all know how that would have ended.
I do agree that it wasn't spectaculer but it was a good win over a very tough guy in Leben,whose face was a mess after the fight.
Jlloyd
10/18/08 6:55:00PM
Bisping fought a smart fight

Leben was predictable with his movement and Bisping just picked him apart

whats the point in going into a slugfest with a heavy handed, hard headed fighter like Leben, and then potentially losing

when you can use your speed and superior technique to pick him off at will

I honestly cannot see how anyone could say Leben got screwed

he was moving forward, but he just wasn't catching Bisping like Bisping was catching Leben
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
10/18/08 6:57:46PM
DVS WHAT FIGHT WERE YOU WATCHING

Only thing i can think of is you watched it on a mmatv regular stream and are a huge leben hugger. Leben knew he lost and even clapped to the decision. Did you see leben's face compared to bispings? Saying leben landed more shots is just plain . moving forward doesn't win you the fight . By that logic , roger huerta beat kenny florian and plenty of other fights should of gone the other way. The chris lytle decision is a legit complaint , but i guess you'll understand in a few hours once u watch it again .

DvS
10/18/08 6:59:51PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

DVS WHAT FIGHT WERE YOU WATCHING

Only thing i can think of is you watched it on a mmatv regular stream and are a huge leben hugger. Leben knew he lost and even clapped to the decision. Did you see leben's face compared to bispings? Saying leben landed more shots is just plain . moving forward doesn't win you the fight . The chris lytle decision is a legit complaint , but i guess you'll understand in a few hours once u watch it again .

I saw it all, on a very small 3 inch wide blurry screen. I will figure it all out tonight when I watch on TV. But for now I really don't think that Bisping should have gotten a UD over him
cloppio
10/18/08 7:27:05PM
shouldn't this still be in the spoilers forum?
juanez13
10/18/08 7:33:47PM

Posted by cloppio

technically, No. Articles about the event already hit the net, so it can now be posted in the UFC forum (if it was another org, it would have to be in the other orgs forum)

for further reference New rules (kind of) about spoilers
cloppio
10/18/08 7:39:01PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by cloppio

technically, No. Articles about the event already hit the net, so it can now be posted in the UFC forum (if it was another org, it would have to be in the other orgs forum)

word, i stand corrected. thanks and sorry.

Ben_Hutch
10/18/08 7:42:05PM

Posted by cloppio

Posted by juanez13

Posted by cloppio

word, i stand corrected. thanks and sorry.

Lol sure was fun a few months ago arguing about where spoilers should be posted, I think i started it all off
Aaronno9
10/18/08 7:51:00PM
Glad everybody seems to be agreeing bisping won. It was clear as day. I mean, ive got lots of respect for chris, and i hope he comes back becouse hes fun to watch, but Mike was just to quick and technical for him tonight.

Hopefully people will give mike his dues for this fight becouse he stuck to his gameplan and even though he back-pedalled alot, it was still a good fight to watch, and he battered leben pretty bad at some points.

I mean, no offence DvS, but rogan thought bisping won, sherdog thought he won, and everybody on this site whos posted about the fight also think Bisping won. The way your putting your opinion down like its an absolute fact is kinda annoying, mainly becouse its wrong.
Aaronno9
10/18/08 7:53:24PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by cloppio

Yeh, just to back up what Juanez was saying heres the sherdog article about the event LINK

Title of the thread should warn off anybody who hasnt seen the fight anyways.
haggiswashere
10/19/08 1:40:00AM
Leben won the fight in my book when he put his hands down and gave bisping free hits and bisping still couldnt put him away! my brother and i were loving it. my favorite chris leben moment by far. Hilarious.

Bisping put on a good fight but the back pedaling is a growing trend and that bugs me because it leads to too many bad decisions and too many boring fights. my two least favorite things about mma= backpedalers/runners, and wrestlers who lay on people for the whole fight but those fights win in the judges eyes so who am i to argue....
Khaos
10/19/08 2:47:32AM
I DO think that Bisping won the fight, however it was not a UD, I though it was a SD, I made the argument bisping won 2 and 3, I also think there is an argument that leben won 1 & 3. I think the UD was bias judging, but no the fact that he won.
MMAcca
10/19/08 4:37:53AM

Posted by Khaos

I DO think that Bisping won the fight, however it was not a UD, I though it was a SD, I made the argument bisping won 2 and 3, I also think there is an argument that leben won 1 & 3. I think the UD was bias judging, but no the fact that he won.

Bias judging!!! What is everyone's problem with Bisping ?

He won the fight convincingly. End of.
haggiswashere
10/19/08 4:51:45AM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by Khaos

Bias judging!!! What is everyone's problem with Bisping ?

He won the fight convincingly. End of.

haha sounds like you england guys are a little too defensive or in denial..... calm down buddy. and why yell at him. he thinks bisping won!
keith-hackney1
10/19/08 7:52:34AM

Posted by haggiswashere

Leben won the fight in my book when he put his hands down and gave bisping free hits and bisping still couldnt put him away! my brother and i were loving it. my favorite chris leben moment by far. Hilarious.

Bisping put on a good fight but the back pedaling is a growing trend and that bugs me because it leads to too many bad decisions and too many boring fights. my two least favorite things about mma= backpedalers/runners, and wrestlers who lay on people for the whole fight but those fights win in the judges eyes so who am i to argue....

Did you watch a different fight dude ?? Didn't anyone on this site see lebens face at the end of the fight. Leben was out classed by a skilled quick bisping picking and moving his shots. Lebens wild swings dont cut when your fighting an athlete on the up like bisping. Mike is too smart to fall into that game.
Leben has a tough chin, give him all the respect in the world, but surely bisping has credit to leben not getting a knock out. Neither fighter was gonna win by knock out, i said that on on earlier post, too much respect in this fight for a knock out ending.

As for this "back peddling/runners" ?? WTF dude ??
dont you see that a fighter moving back or away from a right hand from the likes of chris leben is a smart move?? Stick and move throwing combo's in between is a smart way to fight. The more elusive you can be in a fight, the more chance you have of winning it and scoring points. Its not running away, thats fighting smart.

The wrestlers who lay on their opponents for 3 rounds to eek out a decision, i'm with you on that one, the ufc dont need anymore wrestlers, there's plenty of them already. I understand that wrestlers who seem to do this, its like their style and their way of frustrating their opponents etc... But the flip side to that coin is that the fighter on the bottom also has the chance to take it from his opponent, but cant because the top position is too strong. But sure, it does wind me up.
At least with bisping he does land strikes that are affective, as you see chris lebens face did take some damage.

The idea of a fighter who is hard to hit, wether that means "running" away to avoid getting hit, then moving in and out landing effective damaging strikes on their opponent is what i call a clever and exciting fighter. That means that this guy has a plan, is always thinking and getting in the head of the other fighter. That sort of material in a fighter is what makes unpredictable and exciting match ups. Chris leben had a shot at taking it from bisping, but he didnt. Bisping wanted it more and took it, safetly.
haggiswashere
10/19/08 7:59:17AM

Posted by keith-hackney1

Posted by haggiswashere

Did you watch a different fight dude ?? Didn't anyone on this site see lebens face at the end of the fight. Leben was out classed by a skilled quick bisping picking and moving his shots. Lebens wild swings dont cut when your fighting an athlete on the up like bisping. Mike is too smart to fall into that game.
Leben has a tough chin, give him all the respect in the world, but surely bisping has credit to leben not getting a knock out. Neither fighter was gonna win by knock out, i said that on on earlier post, too much respect in this fight for a knock out ending.

As for this "back peddling/runners" ?? WTF dude ??
dont you see that a fighter moving back or away from a right hand from the likes of chris leben is a smart move?? Stick and move throwing combo's in between is a smart way to fight. The more elusive you can be in a fight, the more chance you have of winning it and scoring points. Its not running away, thats fighting smart.

The wrestlers who lay on their opponents for 3 rounds to eek out a decision, i'm with you on that one, the ufc dont need anymore wrestlers, there's plenty of them already. I understand that wrestlers who seem to do this, its like their style and their way of frustrating their opponents etc... but sure, it does wind me up. At least with bisping he does land strikes that are affective, as you see chris lebens face did take some damage.

The idea of a fighter who is hard to hit, wether that means "running" away to avoid getting hit, then moving in and out landing effective damaging strikes on their opponent is what i call a clever and exciting fighter. That means that this guy has a plan, is always thinking and getting in the head of the other fighter. That sort of material in a fighter is what makes unpredictable and exciting match ups. Chris leben had a shot at taking it from bisping, but he didnt. Bisping wanted it more and took it, safetly.

i was sarcasting on the first comment brotha calm down. didn't ya see the laughing dude? ug and honestly you english guys bug me with your obsession of bisping. he is a little overrated. bisping beat him at the game not the fight. he admitted he wanted a decision. which shows three things to me. he was terrified of leben, he knew he gets easy desisions in england, and he doesn't finish fights. i wish he would at least face him with the intention of finishing. i doubt i could ever explain why alot of people hate the runners to a guy with a machida avatar so im not gonna try....
dannyfrank
10/19/08 9:02:40AM
bisping definitely won the fight, however, i thought that leben won the third round. i also though that the first round was going leben's way until about half way through it where he stopped throwing the leg kicks and just tried to lay down the left
Rush
10/19/08 9:44:12AM
Had this been based on Pride rules, Leben might have taken it, due to the fact that he was clearly the agressor the whole fight. I think the fight was closer than the damage seen on Leben's face indicated. Damage should not necessarily be an indication of who was a more dominant fighter. People seem to forget that a lot of superficial damage is caused by grazing hits. Also, look at the Forrest Rampage fight. Look at the damage done to Forrest, yet he won. Also, some fighters bleed easier than others.
keith-hackney1
10/19/08 10:07:07AM

i was sarcasting on the first comment brotha calm down. didn't ya see the laughing dude? ug and honestly you english guys bug me with your obsession of bisping. he is a little overrated. bisping beat him at the game not the fight. he admitted he wanted a decision. which shows three things to me. he was terrified of leben, he knew he gets easy desisions in england, and he doesn't finish fights. i wish he would at least face him with the intention of finishing. i doubt i could ever explain why alot of people hate the runners to a guy with a machida avatar so im not gonna try....

Im not getting fruity with your opinion in my response. Obviously bisping is not the full package, but he clearly won that fight IMO. There should be no debate, he won. The whole point of a scoring system on fights is set up so we always get a winner in a unanimous state of a bout like this one.
There is alot of bisping hate creeping in from the other side of the atlantic ?? I dont hear anyone saying how leben didnt try and finish bisping !! He didnt try because he couldnt, bisping was too quick and Smart !!
cowcatcher
10/19/08 10:17:16AM
like others have said before me, bisping fought the smart fight, he stayed away from that big left for the most part and landed peppering shots and got out over and over again. his takedown attempts were terrible IMO, and thats something he definately has to work on, but i think he came into the fight looking to out point leben and not get caught, and if he landed a big shot, great, otherwise he wanted to be in position to win a hard fought decision. he had a plan, stuck to it, and won because of that. good job by both fighters, and it was fun to watch, i cant complain.
stock
10/19/08 10:54:41AM
I don't think anyone can argue that Leben should have won.
There were no knockdowns, hard shots on the ground, hard take downs/throws, or close submission attempts.
Keeping that in mind, Bisping landed many more punches and Leben looked like he had the piss beat out of him after the fight, while Bisping looked like he hadn't even been in a fight.
So that is that.

However, this does not mean I was impressed by Bisping. He absolutely had no killer instinct to finish the fight, and was just looking to win on points.
I am not a fan of these types of fights, and I hope it will be a while before I see Bisping fight again. I definitely will not pay for it if he is the headline fight.
He even said after the fight, that his plan was to just back up and jab, and win the fight by unanimous decision.
I don't want that attitude from a fighter. I want to watch guys that want the finish.
That fight was about as exciting for me as watching Olympic Boxing.
haggiswashere
10/19/08 6:13:06PM

Posted by keith-hackney1

Im not getting fruity with your opinion in my response. Obviously bisping is not the full package, but he clearly won that fight IMO. There should be no debate, he won. The whole point of a scoring system on fights is set up so we always get a winner in a unanimous state of a bout like this one.
There is alot of bisping hate creeping in from the other side of the atlantic ?? I dont hear anyone saying how leben didnt try and finish bisping !! He didnt try because he couldnt, bisping was too quick and Smart !!

Leben couldn't finish him thats true but he probably thought bisping was gonna actually intend on fighting!
keith-hackney1
10/19/08 6:32:11PM

Posted by stock

I don't think anyone can argue that Leben should have won.
There were no knockdowns, hard shots on the ground, hard take downs/throws, or close submission attempts.
Keeping that in mind, Bisping landed many more punches and Leben looked like he had the piss beat out of him after the fight, while Bisping looked like he hadn't even been in a fight.
So that is that.

However, this does not mean I was impressed by Bisping. He absolutely had no killer instinct to finish the fight, and was just looking to win on points.
I am not a fan of these types of fights, and I hope it will be a while before I see Bisping fight again. I definitely will not pay for it if he is the headline fight.
He even said after the fight, that his plan was to just back up and jab, and win the fight by unanimous decision.
I don't want that attitude from a fighter. I want to watch guys that want the finish.
That fight was about as exciting for me as watching Olympic Boxing.

... or british boxing .. or olympic judo !!! LOL
blackhalo
10/19/08 11:17:57PM
Bisping absolutely did not win the fight, if you through the UFC scoring point by point, Leben won. He landed more punches, he had Octagon Control the last two rounds, and Bisping was absolutely not implementing his game plan the final two rounds. The final two rounds he became what Caleb Starnes was against Nick Quarry hence the similar mocking from Leben, as if... come out hit me I dare you...

Landed more, and had control the final two rounds, 2-1 Leben clearly won this fight, as we know with Matt Hamill 1: White wants his TUF winners to win, even if it's a boring decision that goes against what he wants in his UFC fighters (FINISHES) and 2: in London, Bisping will win a decision, so it's on Leben for not knocking him our or submitting him.

Can you break down your opinion of why Bisping won, based on the UFC scoring system? I just don't get it..... I think Leben CLEARLY won. Just my opinion as a fan and someone who watches a lot of MMA and watched that fight twice now.
Pages: [1] 2