Biggest upsets in MMA

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Biggest upsets in MMA
oleg
6/28/08 3:44:27PM
http://www.fightmatrix.com/2008/06/28/ten-biggest-upsets-in-mma/

We’ve compiled a list of the 10 biggest MMA upsets in recent history. The significance upsets on this list is measured not by the betting odds, but by the difference in the Fightmatrix.com point standing between the two fighters, normalized for weight class differences.

1. Gabriel Gonzaga defeats Mirko Filipovic (UFC 70, Apr 21 2007) @ -186.18

2. Matt Serra defeats Georges St. Pierre (UFC 69, Apr 7 2007 ) @ -155.02

3. Quinton Jackson defeats Chuck Liddell (UFC 71, May 26 2007 ) @ -142.45

4. Mark Hunt defeats Wanderlei Silva (Pride Shockwave 2004, Dec 31 2004 ) @ -140.3

5. Keith Jardine defeats Chuck Liddell (UFC 76, Sep 22 2007 ) @ -127.90

6. Mark Coleman defeats Mauricio Rua (Pride 31, Feb 26 2006 ) @ -126.49

7. Cheick Kongo defeats Mirko Filipovic (UFC 75, Sep 8 2007 ) @ -114.57

8. Forrest Griffin defeats Mauricio Rua (UFC 76, Sep 22 2007 ) @ -108.48

9. Eduardo Dantas defeats Shinichi Kojima (Shooto, Nov 8 2007 ) @ -103.79

10. Sokoudjou defeats Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (Pride 33, Feb 24 2007 ) @ -98.48

Interesting to note that with exception of 2 fights, this list is all comprised of heavy and light-heavyweights. Also, Mirko Filipovic, Chuck Liddell, and Mauricio Rua were all victims of huge upsets on more than one occasion.
juanez13
6/28/08 4:01:12PM
dont get how Hunt vs Wandy was such a big upset....
oleg
6/28/08 4:04:07PM

Posted by juanez13

Because Hunt only had 2 MMA rules fights at the time, one of which he lost and the other was not very impressive in.
Pookie
6/28/08 4:13:21PM
Rampage vs. Liddell was an upset? lol, i guess on paper... but to me it was one of the easiest picks ive ever made.
FredThaGR8
6/28/08 4:23:17PM
A few that pop up in my head:

Fujita vs Mark Kerr
Otsuka vs Ruas
Pete Williams vs Mark Coleman

juanez13
6/28/08 4:25:52PM

Posted by oleg

Posted by juanez13

Because Hunt only had 2 MMA rules fights at the time, one of which he lost and the other was not very impressive in.

yea i knew Wandy was the favourite, but didnt think hunt would be such a big underdog, especailly at #4......defenately in my mind i'd rank Forrest over Shogun or Jardine over Liddell higher.
voodoo-jitsu
6/28/08 4:51:58PM

Posted by Pookie

Rampage vs. Liddell was an upset? lol, i guess on paper... but to me it was one of the easiest picks ive ever made.

yea if u watch thier fight in pride liddle looked shocked when rampage first hit him and it looked like liddle didnt want to get hit after that so when they fought in the ufc it was a no brainer to me
Pookie
6/28/08 5:10:48PM
he just has one of those styles that cause people problems if they dont swarm him with combinations or knees and kicks. Chuck throws those one hitter quitters but rampage always showed really good stand-up d. and that burst speed to get in and throw hard shots. He got him so many times in the body in that fight it was ridiculous. He destroyed his will. Since that fight he grew in skill exponentially but alot of people didnt pick up on it. oh well
stock
6/28/08 5:36:22PM
There are some big upsets on there, but I really think betting lines is the best thing to go by (as that is what people are actually laying their money on).

RTS over Lil Nog was a +1600. I think that is the biggest underdog win I have ever seen in MMA. Serra was only a +650 vs GSP.
From what I recall Liddell/Jackson and Silva/Hunt were fairly close in the betting lines.
voodoo-jitsu
6/28/08 5:49:50PM
when franklin got beat TWICE by a. silva i dont know f it was a upset but i do know it upset me
king_katool
6/28/08 9:00:36PM
ye im not a big fan of thie fightmatrix site it trys to figure out ranking with math and does a HORRIBLE job IMHO
mrsmiley
6/28/08 10:10:56PM

Posted by thevoodooninja

Posted by Pookie

yea if u watch thier fight in pride liddle looked shocked when rampage first hit him and it looked like liddle didnt want to get hit after that so when they fought in the ufc it was a no brainer to me

Yeah no kidding.WTF. I say (In really no particular order)

1.Gonzaga VS CC
Gonzaga was suppose to be another stepping stone in CC's quest for the UFC heavy-weight title.Gonzaga proved otherwards.

2.Randleman VS CC fight 1
Randleman was a huge underdog.Even those who thought he had a chance of winning couldn't forsee this shocking ending.
3.Slyvia vs AA fight 2
Slyvia Via ko

4.Forrest VS Shogun
Shogun was considered the number light-heavy by many.Forrest was an up and comer.

5.Igor Zinoviev VS Mario Sperry
Sperry was boasting an undefeated record and Igor was an unknown.

6.Mark Coleman VS Pete Williams
The original,shocking kick KO.

7.Mark Kerr VS Fujita
Kerr was considered the favorite to win the whole PRIDE tourny.

8.Frank Shamrock VS Bas Rutten fight 1
Franks first pro fight and he beats the king of Pancrase

9.Serra VS GSP
No explantion needed.
10.Jardine VS Liddell
No explonation needed
Mchubb316
6/28/08 11:19:44PM

Posted by Pookie

I don't see why this is a top 10 upset. Soko vs Arona I think was a bigger upset. I know Soko beat Lil Nog shortly before but I think it was bigger than Rampage vs Liddell. I also think that Soko's win over Nog was bigger than #10, wasn't he +900 on the money line on this fight?
Manfred
6/28/08 11:27:39PM
Lauzon / Pulver was huge. Surprised that's not on the list
Mchubb316
6/28/08 11:29:53PM

Posted by king_katool

ye im not a big fan of thie fightmatrix site it trys to figure out ranking with math and does a HORRIBLE job IMHO

Its the BCS of MMA.