What was the biggest upset in mma so far...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » What was the biggest upset in mma so far...
POLL: Upsets
Werdum over Fedor 28% (11)
Serra over GSP 58% (23)
Griffin over Shogun 8% (3)
Bowles over Torres 3% (1)
Gonzaga over Cro Cop 3% (1)
Lauzon over Pulver 3% (1)
Taylor8766
7/14/10 5:33:49PM
Since Fedor lost to Werdum Ive been hearing lots of people saying that it was the biggest upset in mma, I disagree I would say there are a couple others that would be considered just as big of an upset or bigger.

First theres probably the one many people would consider the biggest and thats GSP-Serra, considering serra was what a 13-1 underdog or something.

Then theres Griffin-Shogun, which alot of the newer mma fans would consider an even matchup however hardcore fans had Griffin as a pretty big underdog.

How about Bowles-Torres considered a fairly big upset due to the fact of the dominance of Torres in the bantamweight division.

And what about Gonzaga over Cro Cop, Or Lauzon over Pulver, hell even Hughes over BJ or BJ over Hughes were both considered a big upset.

Granted theres some other great upsets that have happened but to me these are ones that really stick out, So I wanted to take up a poll to see which one is considered the greastest upset so far in mma.

Post your opinions.
sbulldavid
7/14/10 5:55:53PM
That was not a huge upset, circumstances are different for every fight even between the same fighters. Serra over GSP was huge. Edgar over Penn was huge. Werdum over Fedor is not a big deal, he's a world champion at BJJ and he's the bigger fighter and he's beaten top caliber fighters before, Serra was a tough guy but he'd never beaten anybody, and he was up against not just a great record, he was fighting the clear cut number one guy in the world at 170. There's a big difference between beating a guy getting closer to losing than a guy that is getting more dominant each fight.
jae_1833
7/14/10 11:14:15PM
I picked Werdum over Fedor because of who they are, who they have fought in the past, and how good were those opponents at the time of the fight. I think that at the time Fedor lost to Werdum there were only a couple of people that most of the MMA community believed had the skills and ability to defeat Fedor and Werdum was not one of them. If you look at past posts on thread that were discussing Fedor prior to the fight in Strikeforce you will quickly notice that most of the MMA community though that Alistair Overeem, Brock Lesner, and the occasionally mentioned top 5 UFC HW were the only ones regularly mentioned as possibly being able to defeat Fedor. Prior to beating Fedor, Werdum had gone 2-2 in the UFC and 4-2 in Pride. While a worthy opponent for Fedor in the small Strikeforce HW Div, he was definatly counted out. Only 49 people on this web site picked Werdum to win this fight.....I am pretty sure that was a much larger deficit than GSP vs Serra.
lohmann
7/14/10 11:25:54PM
In terms of betting lines, I think the biggest upset in MMA history was when Sokoudjou KO'd Rogerio.

But of those you listed, Serra defeating GSP still seems weird to even say.
noahgenda
7/15/10 1:30:42AM

Posted by jae_1833

I picked Werdum over Fedor because of who they are, who they have fought in the past, and how good were those opponents at the time of the fight. I think that at the time Fedor lost to Werdum there were only a couple of people that most of the MMA community believed had the skills and ability to defeat Fedor and Werdum was not one of them. If you look at past posts on thread that were discussing Fedor prior to the fight in Strikeforce you will quickly notice that most of the MMA community though that Alistair Overeem, Brock Lesner, and the occasionally mentioned top 5 UFC HW were the only ones regularly mentioned as possibly being able to defeat Fedor. Prior to beating Fedor, Werdum had gone 2-2 in the UFC and 4-2 in Pride. While a worthy opponent for Fedor in the small Strikeforce HW Div, he was definatly counted out. Only 49 people on this web site picked Werdum to win this fight.....I am pretty sure that was a much larger deficit than GSP vs Serra.

really, only 49 people? count me as one of them
tcunningham
7/15/10 1:42:11AM
they were all upsets but everybody gets caught. however, i chose bowles over torres because everybody said torres was unstoppable but i thought bowles literally out fought Torres. torres didnt get cought he got beat fare and square. GSP got caught, fedor got caught but bowles straight up took torreses title away.
PABLOMAFIOSO
7/15/10 2:26:03PM
I chose Serra over GSP. Nobody expected that AT ALL.
In the othe instances there were other factors involved e.g Fedor was facing probably the best heavyweight BJJ practiotioner around/Crocop was on the decline or already past his best.
In the case of Serra and GSP Serra was brought back in through TUF (the comeback) and GSP was in his prime. He was written off by everyone and shocked the world for the title.
RyanC
7/15/10 2:30:47PM
I find it hard to not bring up Edgar beating BJ even though it's not included here. I dunno Werdum over Fedor was a shock to me even though I really did think it could happen. Serra over GSP was a massive shock. It's hard to pick just one.
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/15/10 2:38:21PM
no edgar over penn?
emfleek
7/15/10 2:41:03PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

no edgar over penn?

I don't think so. It wasn't a definitive win. Many people thought BJ won.
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/15/10 3:56:47PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

no edgar over penn?

definitive or not, it was a win, he's got the belt, also it's still considered an upset in the mma circle, therefore i'm surprised it isin't up there. and just for the record, i thought frankie won.
emfleek
7/15/10 4:06:57PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

definitive or not, it was a win, he's got the belt, also it's still considered an upset in the mma circle, therefore i'm surprised it isin't up there. and just for the record, i thought frankie won.

I agree completely. I'm just offering up a possible reason it's not being considered.
RyanC
7/15/10 4:45:59PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

no edgar over penn?

Frankie getting the decision was the only reason I was shocked. I knew who was going to win before I watched the fight and still couldn't believe it, but I digress.