Biggest impact player in the NFL draft?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Biggest impact player in the NFL draft?
mkiv9secsupra
3/2/09 5:51:50PM
Im curious who everyone thinks will make the biggest impact coming out of the draft this season.

If anyone needs to see a draft prediciton or a few here some are:Draft 1 Draft 2 Draft 3 Draft 4
+many others

On a side note i seriously hope Detroit doesnt pick stafford as the first overall pick. They need to stick with beefing up the O line with someone like Jason Smith or Andre Smith, and stick with a later QB pick like Nate Davis. That way Stafford can go to a much more deserving Jets team.

Bowen50
3/2/09 6:06:12PM
a majority of the time the players that come in and have an instant impact on a team are on the defensive side of the ball. it's becoming more common though for rookies to have huge impacts on offense too over the past few seasons with Adrian Peterson, Matt Ryan, Jake Long and a few others.

Defensive Players
Aaron Curry
James Laurinaitis
Rey Maualuga
Brian Cushing
Malcom Jenkins
Vonte Davis

Offensive Players
Percy Harvin
Michael Crabtree
Matthew Stafford
Andre Smith
Chris Wells
Knowshon Moreno

on a side note, i find the combine grossly over used in determining draft status. i think the emphasis should really be on game film. i'm not saying get rid of the combine by any means, but people have to realize 40 time and game speed are completely different things.
DCRage
3/2/09 6:11:46PM
Before his recently disclosed injury I was leaning towards Crabtree, now the picture gets a bit cloudy as a result.
Bowen50
3/2/09 6:16:06PM

Posted by DCRage

Before his recently disclosed injury I was leaning towards Crabtree, now the picture gets a bit cloudy as a result.

the injury really isn't a big deal. it's pretty easy to repair and he should only be out for about 6 weeks at most following surgery. which means he'll be ready for mini camp. he's still the best receiver in the draft.
Wolfenstein
3/2/09 6:22:51PM
It usually seems to be the ILB that makes the biggest impact, at least statistically. So I'll go with that strategy and pick a guy who doesn't put up big combine numbers--but he's just a good football player and will have the most success out of any other LB in my opinion...James Laurinaitis LB Ohio State.

On the offensive side of the ball it's usually a RB, and I don't think any QB in this class is going to make any immediate impact. I'll go back to the Ohio St well and say Chris Wells RB Ohio St.
Bowen50
3/2/09 6:28:25PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

It usually seems to be the ILB that makes the biggest impact, at least statistically. So I'll go with that strategy and pick a guy who doesn't put up big combine numbers--but he's just a good football player and will have the most success out of any other LB in my opinion...James Laurinaitis LB Ohio State.

On the offensive side of the ball it's usually a RB, and I don't think any QB in this class is going to make any immediate impact. I'll go back to the Ohio St well and say Chris Wells RB Ohio St.

Laurinaitis will most likely end up playing weak side linebacker because his strength is defending the outside run and he's also a very good pass rusher.

Wells is definitely the most complete RB in the draft. perfect combo of size and speed, not to mention he has some vicious stiff arms.
mkiv9secsupra
3/2/09 6:35:26PM
Seriously people are ranking Wells above Moreno? Dont get me wrong, Wells is a great short yardage runner but Moreno can do everything Wells can do and more. I think its going to be interesting to see if either end up on the Cardinals. Either would make a huge impact as a starter.

Pervy Harvin i think will make the most significant impact, assumming he is drafted by the Ravens. The one aspect of Baltimores offense that is missing is WR and Percy Harvin would make such an impact that they might end up at the superbowl.
Bowen50
3/2/09 6:58:30PM
i disagree with Moreno. Wells is much more than a short yardage back. he didn't run the best 40 in the world but watch his game film. he absolutely BURNS people. he is also very physical. i think the only thing Moreno is better at is receiving out of the backfield. i seriously think Wells would have won the Heisman if he didn't get injured early in the season.

Chris Wells Highlight
cmill21
3/2/09 7:18:38PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Seriously people are ranking Wells above Moreno? Dont get me wrong, Wells is a great short yardage runner but Moreno can do everything Wells can do and more. I think its going to be interesting to see if either end up on the Cardinals. Either would make a huge impact as a starter.

Pervy Harvin i think will make the most significant impact, assumming he is drafted by the Ravens. The one aspect of Baltimores offense that is missing is WR and Percy Harvin would make such an impact that they might end up at the superbowl.

Baltimore is probably going to need linebackers and corners. I'll go with Crabtree if he ends up with someone who has a solid QB.
SpiderSilva
3/2/09 8:56:25PM
man Im hoping the Broncos can pick up Rey Maualuga this dude is a stud and after the heart of our D was forced to retire Al Wilson the D fell off the face of the earth still to this day he would own LT on the goal line I swear he stoped him on the 1 at least 5 times

Rey Maualuga is a mean a$$ heart of a D mofo
higdon10
3/2/09 9:02:25PM
Rey Maualuga is going to be a stud on Sundays. I think he is the biggest impact in the Draft.
hippysmacker
3/2/09 9:16:56PM
Crabtree if he goes to the raiders, or Curry if he goes to KC and they switch to a base 3-4 D.
Twenty20Dollars
3/2/09 11:04:33PM
Aaron Curry when he gets drafted by the chiefs and plays alongside Vrabel.

I dont like the combine, its kinda pointless. They need to be testing FOOTBALL skills instead of that other crap.
pv3Hpv3p
3/3/09 11:03:27AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Aaron Curry when he gets drafted by the chiefs and plays alongside Vrabel.

I dont like the combine, its kinda pointless. They need to be testing FOOTBALL skills instead of that other crap.

Combine isn't everything by any means, but it gives scouts a great idea on what a player really is athletically, and how their fundamentals are... I think it also lets you start to see how coachable a player is or isn't ( a la Andre Davis)

With all that being said... I have to agree that the biggest impact will be made by Curry... I could see him having a "Willis-type" rookie year...

But my sleeper pick's going to be Josh Freeman from K-State... The kid's an athlete and I think will be one of the best if not the best QB to come out of this draft.. I hope he drops low enough for the Vikings to grab him
cowcatcher
3/3/09 11:08:47AM
curry is the most solid looking guy but that doesnt exactly mean big impact. i think hes going to be an anchor for whoever picks him though(probably KC).
to me crabtree still is the guy that can be the biggest impact player in terms of having big numbers and having espn all over every little thing he does and i think thats a good call on maualaga(sp?), hes a "pin your ears back and light the other guys tits up type" of player.
urbman
3/3/09 7:27:20PM
I thought it was league rule in the NFL that the Lions had to select a wide receiver with their 1st round pick.