The biggest "fluke" in mma history?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » The biggest "fluke" in mma history?
tomp6581
4/14/08 6:59:30AM
With the GSP V Serra fight building up, ive been reading more about how Matt Serra victory last year was a fluke. Something I completely disagree with. This was an upset not a fluke.

However, what would you consider the biggest fluke victorys in the history of mma, excluding decisions? I would have to go with

Shogun V Coleman

Couture V Belfort 2

Cro Cop V Barnett 1

Fedor V TK

Im generally of the opinon "if you throw a punch and it lands, its not a fluke". But considering the Randy/Vitor and Fedor/TK fights.....it was cuts that stopped the fight - not knock outs. And add that to the fact that both cuts happened within the first 20secs of the fight.....I think its fair to say its a fluke.

Thoughts?
ufcboss
4/14/08 7:56:13AM
Shonie Carter's spinning backfist to Matt Serra

Ryo's sub on Anderson Silva

Rampage's KO over Liddell

Now, I say there is no such thing as a fluke, But these come to mind.

And before I get flamed for the Rampage/Liddell one, Rampage still would of won, But what a 'fluke' to do it with one blow!!
tomp6581
4/14/08 8:00:57AM

Posted by ufcboss

And before I get flamed for the Rampage/Liddell one, Rampage still would of won, But what a 'fluke' to do it with one blow!!

You totally missed my point.

Ryo Chonan was well on the way for a un decision in the silva fight.

And Rampage/Carter aimed, threw and landed thier strikes....where is the fluke in that?
Mastodon2
4/14/08 8:04:17AM
One of the Wanderlei / Sakuraba fights had a flukey ending, granted Saku was getting worked, but he threw in the towel between rounds because Wanderlei slammed him and snapped his clavicle, Saku is very tough for fighting another 3 minutes after it was broken!
DCRage
4/14/08 8:08:04AM
That one guy at UFC 3 who got the "walkover" over Royce Gracie (Gracie's team threw in the towel before the fight even started due to Royce being injured and unable to fight again).
Coloss
4/14/08 9:18:07AM
What about last fights the fights of "The Colossus" Thompson..? Last 3 fights he loses in the first 20/30 seconds by a randomly thrown cross. I don't think the Colossus is just so weak...
Tein_Lung
4/14/08 9:41:45AM

Posted by tomp6581

Posted by ufcboss

And Rampage/Carter aimed, threw and landed thier strikes....where is the fluke in that?

the Serra/Carter to me has fluke on it simply because carter was getting beat on everywhere... the backfist came out of no where and koed him... i think the KO was more of a fluke then anything else
IriShame
4/14/08 10:20:28AM
What about Manny Gamburyan vs. Nate Diaz in the T.U.F. finale? Broke his collerbone on a shoot. If that's not flukey I don't know what is.
Tein_Lung
4/14/08 10:25:10AM

Posted by IriShame

What about Manny Gamburyan vs. Nate Diaz in the T.U.F. finale? Broke his collerbone on a shoot. If that's not flukey I don't know what is.

he dislocated his sholder actually
grappler0000
4/14/08 10:26:08AM

Posted by Tein_Lung

Posted by tomp6581

Posted by ufcboss

the Serra/Carter to me has fluke on it simply because carter was getting beat on everywhere... the backfist came out of no where and koed him... i think the KO was more of a fluke then anything else

It actually didn't KO him...it only knocked him down. To this day, I still think Serra could have continued.
IriShame
4/14/08 12:13:56PM
Whatever dude. Collar bone, shoulder. Same deal. Fluke fluke fluke.
babytater03
4/14/08 12:34:19PM

Posted by ufcboss

that spinning backfist was sweet though. put him on his can quick
Pookie
4/14/08 12:47:26PM
Saying the Ryo fight was a fluke is ridiculous.... You cannot pull off that sub by luck alone. If you look at the way Silva fights and how he plants his lega while punching they are wide open for that kind of maneuver if you are skilled enough to pull one off.
Rush
4/14/08 4:37:52PM
My answer is: any fight that is called due to injury or cut that occured in a manner independent of the opponents actions. These two fit my defintion well. The others might, but I haven't seen the fights.

Shogun V Coleman
Cro Cop V Barnett 1

To call something like Carter's spinning backfist a fluke is no different than calling any other one punch ko a fluke. Whether Shonie was getting worked or not, he still pulled it off. Hell, he almost koed Serra again with it on TUF. Same as Koscheck and Fickett. They are not flukes.
nickcuc547
4/14/08 5:18:01PM

Posted by ufcboss

how can you say rampage of chuck when rampage has beaten chuck twice, both in impressive fashion. and i disagree with ryo vs. silva because ryo was winning that entire fight. shonie carter's spinning back fist may be the biggest fluke in mma history, more so than serra over gsp.
Tein_Lung
4/14/08 9:07:57PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Tein_Lung

Posted by tomp6581

Posted by ufcboss

It actually didn't KO him...it only knocked him down. To this day, I still think Serra could have continued.

i agree but they ruled it a KO
SociopathX
4/14/08 9:19:40PM
The judges giving Bisping the decision over Hammil was the biggest fluke.
richieb19
4/15/08 12:59:35AM
moti>smith was one... although smith's wild style is basically the main blame...
hippysmacker
4/15/08 1:18:34AM
I have to defimitely go with Fedor /TK. " Losing" a fight when you were struck illegally, and the tournament format needed someone to be declared winner, even though the " winner" was the guy who did the illegal strike? Fedor is still undefeated in my book. I don't think they needed to declare it a loss either. A no contest, and TK moves on, because Fedor is unable to continue makes much more sense to me.
prozacnation1978
4/15/08 5:11:08PM
the victor belfort vs randy fight 2 was pretty bad, title on the line, thousands of people shelling out good money to watch a fight last 30 seconds for a finger in the eye, and besides they should have made the match a no contest
mrsmiley
4/16/08 7:29:08AM
Coleman VS Takada. (even though rumors still say the fight was fixed,the first time I saw that I felt about the same way Stephen Quadros did.It defied reality.)

Saku VS Schembri 1 I feel like was somewhat of a fluke as well.
Rabi
4/16/08 9:48:35AM
The guy who won at UFC 3 against Gracie was Harold Howard.

The 3 biggest fluke wins i think are.

Mark Kerr Koing himself against a japanese fighter when he went for the takedown.

Matt Lindland doing the same when trying to suplex Faliniko Vitale.

Matt Hughes v Carlos Newton. Newton choked out Hughes with a triangle choke. Hughes was able to stand up, as he went unconcious he fell and the impact of the slam ko'd Newton and Hughes was awarded the victory.
tomp6581
4/17/08 8:04:51AM

Posted by Rabi

The guy who won at UFC 3 against Gracie was Harold Howard.

The 3 biggest fluke wins i think are.

Mark Kerr Koing himself against a japanese fighter when he went for the takedown.

Matt Lindland doing the same when trying to suplex Faliniko Vitale.

Matt Hughes v Carlos Newton. Newton choked out Hughes with a triangle choke. Hughes was able to stand up, as he went unconcious he fell and the impact of the slam ko'd Newton and Hughes was awarded the victory.

Well remembered! Good post
tepid55
4/17/08 1:04:56PM
Pedro Rizzo's split decision win over Mark Coleman at UFC 18 was a fluke in my opinion.