Biggest Fighters (in size)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Biggest Fighters (in size)
Rush
3/25/07 12:51:49AM
Here are the two biggest fighters I can think of

Emmanuel Yarborough - 6'8 (203cm) 600lbs (272kg)
Hong Man Choi - 7'2 (218cm) 352lbs (160kg)

Choi sounds like a monster. He's only fought once, bu I am curious to see him in action. I'll look him up sometime.
warglory
3/25/07 1:39:38AM
We will be getting to see the latter fight the great Brock Lesnar in his first match on the upcoming K-1 Hero's card!
migo
3/25/07 2:34:04AM
Choi has some K-1 experience including beating Schillt. He also has a Sirum pedigree similar to Lesnar's wrestling pedigree, but Kaoklai threw him twice so that obviously doesn't mean terribly much.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/25/07 3:02:27AM

Posted by Rush

Choi sounds like a monster. He's only fought once, bu I am curious to see him in action. I'll look him up sometime.

Choi is horrible. Lesnar is gonna own him
Svartorm
3/25/07 3:49:29AM

Posted by Rush

I doubt this counts, but do you guys remember when they had Tough Man on TNT? They had a fighter from Scotland who was 7'2" and 720lbs. Problem was, he was so gigantic his arms could barely reach the guy he was fighting, who was 5'6" and 160lbs. The little guy ended up hitting the guy with jumping punches and eventually put the monster off balance, at which point he fell on the ring ropes and broke them. It might be on Youtube, but I don't have the patience to look for it.
AchillesHeel
3/25/07 11:45:24AM

Posted by Svartorm

[...]do you guys remember when they had Tough Man on TNT? They had a fighter from Scotland who was 7'2" and 720lbs. [...]he fell on the ring ropes and broke them.

That's awesome.

Anyway, I think "Giant" Silva is the biggest guy I've seen in MMA. 7'2", 385 lbs, according to Sherdog. Boy, he was terrrible. I saw him "fight" Ogawa at Critical Countdown '04. I see that he beat Akebono recently. That must have been a yawner. These freakshow fights are one thing I dislike about PRIDE.
Rush
3/25/07 1:58:03PM
I just watched Choi fight Ologun, Sapp and Semmy.

Yes, he looks like he has no technique, but he looks a lot like a Chinese basketball player I saw on TLC (no it wasn't Yao Ming)

This guy had a tumor by his thyroid gland and it caused him to keep growing. It also threw his hormones all out of whack. It was the equivalent of not going through puberty.

The guy had really soft hands (very skilled in basketball - before anyone makes a smart ass comment) but really had problems with strength, coordination and endurance. The lack of physical normality was attributed to his hormone problems.

He had the tumor removed and was getting hormone treatment and his physical performance really improved.

I get the impression that Choi is in the same boat, and I wonder if he has done anything about the tumor/hormones, to a similar extent as the basketball player.

I don't know the chronology of the fights I saw, but he looked a little better against Semmy than Sapp. Then again, Sapp looked like he was going into cardiac arrest after round 1. lol

Ologun just sucks and the fight only went 15 secs or so, so I can't use that as a comparison.

Though, Choi doesn't seem to be hurt when he gets hit. He seems to laugh and mock his opponent.
Ultimate_fighter
3/25/07 10:51:57PM
He is huge but sucks.... UFC 3 or something some small lil focker came and ko-ed him in like 27 seconds or something... kina wanna see it.. but havent
Svartorm
3/25/07 11:58:12PM
Its a classic. I'm sure its on Youtube.
migo
3/26/07 3:25:05AM
Took a little longer than 27 seconds. It was Keith Hackney.
We_Todd_Did
3/27/07 3:57:13AM

Posted by Rush

Don't let the haters fool you; Choi IS a monster.Ask JLB.
Seriously though, he's learning fast, despite fledgeling technique he moves quite well IMO for someone of his gigantic stature (he actually throws flying knees!) , and his strength is quite proportionate to his size.Plus, he is extremely difficult to hurt and has only been knocked out by Mighty Mo, who can probably knock out anything on 2 legs with a solid punch.I think he is highly underrated and has tons of potential.

Choi HL

Turn the volume down though; the music does, in fact, suck ass.
jdubs
3/27/07 7:16:32PM

Posted by We_Todd_Did

Posted by Rush

Seriously though, he's learning fast, despite fledgeling technique he moves quite well IMO for someone of his gigantic stature (he actually throws flying knees!) , and his strength is quite proportionate to his size.Plus, he is extremely difficult to hurt and has only been knocked out by Mighty Mo, who can probably knock out anything on 2 legs with a solid punch.I think he is highly underrated and has tons of potential.

Choi HL

this is what popped up in my mind when i first heard that music
Stickan
3/27/07 8:45:24PM

Posted by jdubs

Posted by We_Todd_Did

Posted by Rush

Choi HL

this is what popped up in my mind when i first heard that music

Svartorm is that you?
migo
3/28/07 1:54:50AM
Shrink that pic, damnit.
Svartorm
3/28/07 4:04:57AM
If the picture was sized right, I could probably tell you.
madmarck
3/28/07 10:23:28AM

Posted by Ultimate_fighter

He is huge but sucks.... UFC 3 or something some small lil focker came and ko-ed him in like 27 seconds or something... kina wanna see it.. but havent

Um i think he was in the classic fight with Gerard Gordeau at UFC 1. Were Gerard gives him this nasty savate kick right in the face.

And how much does Chad Rowan (Akebono) weigh? I now he is tall at like 6'6''
Rush
3/28/07 1:10:55PM

Posted by madmarck

Um i think he was in the classic fight with Gerard Gordeau at UFC 1. Were Gerard gives him this nasty savate kick right in the face.

No, he fough Hackney in UFC 3.

He also lost a fight in one of the early pride matches. He sucks in MMA, but I've seen him dominate in the NA sumo championships.
migo
3/30/07 3:10:48PM

Posted by madmarck

Akebono is around 485

Gordeau fought Teila Tuli in UFC 1.
disorderlyvision
4/3/07 1:45:47AM
giant silva
Svartorm
4/3/07 1:47:53AM
Which reminds me, when Giant Silva was in WWE, didn't they claim he was 530+lbs? Theres no way he was ever that heavy, but I just want to make sure I wasn't imagining things.
mmadb
4/3/07 10:19:05AM
Wow, I have watched wrastling forever and I honestly couldn't remember Giant Silva in the WWE. I had to look that up and he was one of the oddities. I can't believe I never put that together.

It's amazing how much The Greath Steaming Pile of Khali dwarfs him though.
We_Todd_Did
4/3/07 8:49:50PM

Posted by mmadb

Wow, I have watched wrastling forever and I honestly couldn't remember Giant Silva in the WWE. I had to look that up and he was one of the oddities. I can't believe I never put that together.

Who the hell is that on the left???That dude is just absurdly huge!
Trapt1nw0nder
4/3/07 10:53:31PM

Posted by Stickan
Svartorm is that you?

I was thinking the same when someone posted this pic,and Ray Jackson ...Frank Dux buddy from Bloodsport...hehe...no offense......
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
ButterBalls
4/3/07 11:05:14PM

Posted by We_Todd_Did

Posted by mmadb

Who the hell is that on the left???That dude is just absurdly huge!

his real name is Dalip Singh. He played Turley in the remake of The Longest Yard. He's credited as 7'2 400lbs.
mmadb
4/4/07 12:27:46PM
Ya he's a useless pile of a human being that somehow works for the WWE even though he is the least agile person I've ever seen. He ever had a match at Wrestlemania this past weekend amazingly enough. He goes by The Great Khali in the WWE right now.