The biggest fight in Matt Hughes's career???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » The biggest fight in Matt Hughes's career???
pv3Hpv3p
2/8/07 4:25:56PM
Matt Hughes was a great champ and a utterly dominant WW, but has the game passed him?

Hughes relied on his strength and superior wrestling to win most of his fights, and it seems that the rest of the field is starting to catch up. He has never been much of a striker and while his GnP and ground domination was unstoppable for many years, 'well-rounded' is not a word that comes to mind when describing his fighting style.

I know a lot of people love Matt, and I got mad respect for the guy, but what happens if he takes Lytle lightly? If Hughes gets upset at 68, then I get the feeling that Matt's tenure in the octagon might unfortunately be coming to an end.

Flame away...
waylon_o
2/8/07 4:32:22PM
I'm not a Matt Hughes fan at all, but there is no denying that he is the greatest WW champ of our time. If he loses to Lytle, I think he will retire. When he fought GSP, he was simply outclassed (no disrespect intended), but that doesn't mean he isn't the same Matt Hughes. How many times have we saw him defend his title? A bunch, and he hasn't lost in a long time. Everybody loses every once in a while, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say "yeah, he was over-confident against GSP the last time, but he's smart enough to recognize that and won't make the same mistake again." If he makes the same mistake against Lytle, it will be a different story. We probably won't see him again IMO.
OchoCinco
2/8/07 4:53:26PM
I'm sorry but Lytle doesn't stand a chance. He shouldn't even be allowed in the ring. Hughes biggest fight of his career will be his rematch with GSP.
pv3Hpv3p
2/8/07 4:58:01PM
Lytle's got good stand up with a boxing background and if he shows some TD defense then he definitley stands a chance...

It looked like in Matt's last couple of fights that he has been trying to stand and bang (probablybecause he's been working alot on striking), it could be a bad choice against Lytle...

Hughes will probably win and is definitely the favortie, that's why I used the term 'upset' in the opening post.
Pyrenus
2/8/07 5:05:26PM
Hughes has said that he didn't train properly for GSP. He thought if it was god's will then he would win. Now he said he realizes its a combination of god's will, preparedness, and a good game plan.

He'll be ready for the rematch.

And Lytle doesn't have much of a chance.
Sagat_GSP12
2/8/07 5:25:16PM
Was it God's will that won him all the other fights? I'm not disrespecting your post because I'm sure he said that, but that seems really silly to me. I'm sure he trained his ass off for his other fights, and I would hope he knew that GSP is a world class fighter so for him to say he thought it was all in God's hands seems like a really lame excuse to me.
I agree with an earlier post that said his rematch with GSP will be the biggest match of his career because if he can't beat GSP I personally think he would retire.
jmoooooo
2/8/07 5:31:15PM
chris lytle is the cage rage welterweight champion

other cage rage title holders - bisping was also, and ian freeman (to show you the caliber of fighters who have been title holders there)

chris isnt as outclassed as some would think. His boxing is good, and matt has had a hard time with solid strikers (bj and gsp)

if lytle can keep it standing, he has a great chance. he also does have good submissions, a large number of his victories coming that way.

i think this is the biggest fight, because after GSP there wasnt much question that he would fight again. If he loses to lytle its up in the air.
madmarck
2/8/07 5:54:46PM
I think Hughes Biggest fight will be his rematch with GSP. He wont retire until he gets one. Its to big of a payday for him or Dana to misss out on. (nothing wrong with that). Hughes GSP 3 will go far different than the first 2. Both know what the other fighter is gonna do. I think Hughes will work on his wrestling a hell of a lot. He has a hard time taking GSP down. GSP sees almost every shot coming and just pushes him out of the way. Even in their first match. But if hughes gets on top Of GSP it could all end.
Im one of the biggest GSP fans but Hughes is still the greatest WW of all Time and is set for a place in the Hall of Fame.
jmoooooo
2/8/07 5:56:26PM

Posted by madmarck

I think Hughes Biggest fight will be his rematch with GSP. He wont retire until he gets one. Its to big of a payday for him or Dana to misss out on. (nothing wrong with that). Hughes GSP 3 will go far different than the first 2. Both know what the other fighter is gonna do. I think Hughes will work on his wrestling a hell of a lot. He has a hard time taking GSP down. GSP sees almost every shot coming and just pushes him out of the way. Even in their first match. But if hughes gets on top Of GSP it could all end.
Im one of the biggest GSP fans but Hughes is still the greatest WW of all Time and is set for a place in the Hall of Fame.

I still think lytle is the big one, because if hughes cant beat lytle, the UFC is going to have a hard time justifying his rematch with GSP.
pv3Hpv3p
2/8/07 6:02:20PM

Posted by Pyrenus

Hughes has said that he didn't train properly for GSP. He thought if it was god's will then he would win. Now he said he realizes its a combination of god's will, preparedness, and a good game plan.

He'll be ready for the rematch.

And Lytle doesn't have much of a chance.

Hughes said he didn't train properly after the fight, but prefight seemed to be a different story... Anyways there's a whole thread on that...

It just seems to me like he's losing a little of the will to be a champ... When BJ beat him for the belt a few years ago, his after fight comments were almost of relief of not having to bare the weight of being champ anymore. He is a true competitor and does not take defeat well, I just don't know if he's the type to channel that anger, frustration, whatever you wanna call it, into motivation.

Has he felt that his career has come to a climax? Does he want to go out on top (or at least somewhat)? How many more fights does he have in him? What more does he really have to prove?
OB_Juan
2/8/07 6:23:24PM
I think as long as Matt fights smart he should be able to take care of Lytle handily. If he goes retardo and tries to test his stand up then it could be a long night for him.

Seeing Lylte struggle w/ Serra for 15 minutes trying to avoid the takedown makes me think Matt will put him down fast and hard.
Reignofterror
2/8/07 6:44:36PM
Matt Hughes has continuously proven that he is one of the greatest fighters of our time fighting in one of the most stacked weight divisions in all of MMA. It just seems stupid when someone who was once nearly unstoppable , loses and everyone seems to be on their asses like flies on sh*t . The same people who would've said 2 weeks prior to Hughes fight with St.Pierre "Matt Hughes has got some of the greatest conditioning in the sport", after the fight say "He probably took St.Pierre lightly". Its unfortunate that people arent realising that one of the most dominant former champions in the world is facing Chris Lytle, not GSP, not BJ Penn but Chris Lytle...

I am done my rant!
bayonetxwork
2/8/07 6:45:32PM
Hughes is just getting caught up in the mental aspect of the game. He has nothing else to prove to the fans. And he's going out of his normal game plan to prove his "striking" skills, which has gotten him in trouble his passed two fights.

He needs to just focus on winning, and go back to taking guys down, pounding on them, and then submitting them. One-dimensional? Who cares, it gets the job done and will make him the champ again.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/8/07 8:09:22PM

Posted by Reignofterror

Matt Hughes has continuously proven that he is one of the greatest fighters of our time fighting in one of the most stacked weight divisions in all of MMA. It just seems stupid when someone who was once nearly unstoppable , loses and everyone seems to be on their asses like flies on sh*t . The same people who would've said 2 weeks prior to Hughes fight with St.Pierre "Matt Hughes has got some of the greatest conditioning in the sport", after the fight say "He probably took St.Pierre lightly". Its unfortunate that people arent realising that one of the most dominant former champions in the world is facing Chris Lytle, not GSP, not BJ Penn but Chris Lytle...

I am done my rant!

True...

Chris Lytle is gonna get dominated,he almost has more losses than wins in his record..he lost to the GREATEST WW ALIVE...

from all the card...i think UFC 68 will be the most predictable....easy wins
Snacks
2/8/07 10:50:49PM
I would really love to see Lytle just practice flying knees so when Hughes shoots we see a Pele/Hughes redux.
Playground_Samurai
2/8/07 11:24:51PM
First of all, I want to agree with the opinion that Lytle doesn't stand a chance against Hughes. He has never beaten anybody close to the quality of him. In saying that, if Lytle somehow pulled off the upset I still don't believe it would be Hughes biggest fight. It would be Lytles biggest fight, but everybody would definatly say it was a fluke and would wanna see a rematch. So Hughes/Lytle 2 would be his biggest fight, but that in almost everybodies opinion does not have a chance of happening.

Therefore i'm going to say Hughes/St. Pierre 2 is gonna be his biggest fight. IMO if he loses again, that kinda puts him in the same position as Tito in the LHW right now. Everybody would think he's never gonna be the champ again and a lot of the quality up and comers in the WW division would actually stand a chance against him, where as before it would've been considered an easy win for Matt. That's my opinion.
Snacks
2/8/07 11:32:04PM

Posted by gspfan

Therefore i'm going to say Hughes/St. Pierre 2 is gonna be his biggest fight. IMO if he loses again, that kinda puts him in the same position as Tito in the LHW right now. Everybody would think he's never gonna be the champ again and a lot of the quality up and comers in the WW division would actually stand a chance against him, where as before it would've been considered an easy win for Matt. That's my opinion.

He already lost Hughes/St. Pierre 2.
cowcatcher
2/8/07 11:44:32PM
Hughes won't lose I'll bet all my paltry 490 play dollars on it, he's gonna be as determined and angry as he's ever been coming into this fight. He's so good, and therefore hated, that sometimes MMA fans lose sight of how dominant he's been at WW. No one is as dominant as he's been at one weight class ever, although Fedor is gettin mighty close, so remember when he gets his rematch with GSP that cowcatcher said-------Matt's not impressed by Georges's per for mance
Playground_Samurai
2/9/07 12:01:16AM

Posted by Snacks

Posted by gspfan

He already lost Hughes/St. Pierre 2.

Oops, I meant to put 3.
BabbyHughes
2/9/07 1:08:16AM
Matt will beat him down imo, as long as he sticks to what he is good at. He needs to go back to his wrestling style, where he dominated so many people. I think Matt is better than he has ever been, but I think he has just got so caught up in the dream of knocking someone out in a fight that he wants to strike....and we all know what happend when he fought GSP.

I love both fighters, both of them are in my top 10, but I will be a Matt Hughes fan til the day fedor dies. Which, I will probably be like 200 years from now...Fedor is not human
roadking95th
2/9/07 2:53:17PM
I too am a Hughes fan. I, however, see his career path following that of Couture's. They both have similar styles, though Hughes has been more dominant. Couture couldn't get pass Chuck for the same reasons Matt can not, and probably will not, get past GSP. From what I have seen, GSP's striking and takedown defense is a very bad matchup for Matt, just as Chuck was for Randy. I have no doubt that Randy would still be the #2 LHW and that Matt is the #2 WW, but neither can get past the top dog.

On a side note, Matt has stated that he fights cause the money is good. I don't think he is a guy who loves to fight and would be still doing it for small change. SO, one has to wonder, if he can not get past GSP, will he retire?

Does anyone at MW have the takedown defense and striking ability of GSP or Lidell? Maybe he could move there.

If Hughes can improve his standup, then I feel he can beat GSP, but until he does, I am afraid that the match will go similar to the 2nd one.
madmarck
2/9/07 3:01:09PM

Posted by gspfan

First of all, I want to agree with the opinion that Lytle doesn't stand a chance against Hughes. He has never beaten anybody close to the quality of him. In saying that, if Lytle somehow pulled off the upset I still don't believe it would be Hughes biggest fight. It would be Lytles biggest fight, but everybody would definatly say it was a fluke and would wanna see a rematch. So Hughes/Lytle 2 would be his biggest fight, but that in almost everybodies opinion does not have a chance of happening.

Hughes last fight was his 2nd with GSP.
And i agree even if he loses to Chris it wont be the biggest fight of Matts Career.
Lytle has got to be a Huge underdog coming in. Its gonna be hard for him to stop a Matt Hughes take down. I see this fight ending in the 2nd round by Hughes GnP. I hope Lytle does good though. He is a very good fighter but he is getting thrown to the wolves here.
RMFG_187
2/18/08 2:33:49PM
Either
Hughes vs GSP 2 or
Hughes vs Penn 1

Lytle was a good fight too considering he HAD 2 win that match.
Pitbull09
2/18/08 2:47:44PM
Why is this here? They fought last year and Matt dominated. Also this wasnt the biggest fight of Hughes life cause the end year fights shouldnt be considered biggest. Pick any of the three GSP/Hughes fights and you have a great debate of what was his biggest fight.
nelson888
2/18/08 7:31:46PM

Posted by Pitbull09

Why is this here? They fought last year and Matt dominated. Also this wasnt the biggest fight of Hughes life cause the end year fights shouldnt be considered biggest. Pick any of the three GSP/Hughes fights and you have a great debate of what was his biggest fight.

this is here because RMFG decided to bring back a topic from a year ago