Biggest HW Fight in History of UFC?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Biggest HW Fight in History of UFC?
Next Page »
POLL: Couture/ Lesnar biggest fight in UFC history?
Yes 19% (13)
Yes (If Couture wins) 7% (5)
Yes (If Lesnar wins) 13% (9)
Potential of being the best 13% (9)
No 17% (12)
Sounds like Don King was advertising the fight 31% (22)
Pitbull09
11/9/08 10:49:22PM
So we all prob have seen the ads now for UFC 91 with Couture and Lensar, being said that it is the biggest fight in UFC history. It made me wonder how many would agree with this. Tickets for the fight did sell out almost immediately so there is no doubt its important.

IYO, is this the biggest HW fight in UFC History? If not, what was?
EvenFlow
11/9/08 10:54:23PM
Maybe to people who dont follow MMA or the UFC but no its definatly not the biggest or greatest considering Randy shouldnt still be champ because of his greedy vacation from the belt and the competition and Brock should be no where close to a title shot at 2-1 (1-1 UFC).
mentalcase
11/9/08 10:56:39PM
Eddie Sanchez vs Colin Robinson
Pitbull09
11/9/08 10:58:43PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Maybe to people who dont follow MMA or the UFC but no its definatly not the biggest or greatest considering Randy shouldnt still be champ because of his greedy vacation from the belt and the competition and Brock should be no where close to a title shot at 2-1 (1-1 UFC).

Couture wanted Fedor and the UFC didnt get him signed. I can understand why he left and if trying to fight the best fighters in the world is greedy, then KJ Noons is the most generous guy on earth.

Brock def shouldnt have a title shot though. It makes me mad how he gets a shot before Mir when Mir beat him in his last fight.
EvenFlow
11/9/08 11:02:44PM

Posted by Pitbull09

Posted by EvenFlow

Couture wanted Fedor and the UFC didnt get him signed. I can understand why he left and if trying to fight the best fighters in the world is greedy, then KJ Noons is the most generous guy on earth.

Randy fighting Brock was a way out of the Fedor/Nog fights and he knows it. What Randy did was all about the benjamins and trying to go out on top with the smallest effort possible.

Jackelope
11/9/08 11:03:43PM
I think by numbers it would probably be Couture vs. Sylvia. Which was actually a really good fight, too.

Others that come to mind are Sylvia vs. Ricco Rodriguez, Barnett vs. Couture, and Couture vs. Gonzaga. All were huge HW fights and coincidentally all were also very good fights to watch. (IMO)

As far as biggest HW showdown in MMA goes I'm going to have to say it was Crocop vs. Fedor
Pitbull09
11/9/08 11:08:47PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by Pitbull09

Posted by EvenFlow

Randy fighting Brock was a way out of the Fedor/Nog fights and he knows it. What Randy did was all about the benjamins and trying to go out on top with the smallest effort possible.

IF the UFC let him off his contact, Fedor/Couture would have happened by now. It didnt though and now Couture came back when Nog was busy for TUF. They already said the winners from both fights will fight for the Undisputed tile so saying he is ducking both of those fighters is a joke.
Pitbull09
11/9/08 11:12:26PM

Posted by Jackelope

I think by numbers it would probably be Couture vs. Sylvia. Which was actually a really good fight, too.

Others that come to mind are Sylvia vs. Ricco Rodriguez, Barnett vs. Couture, and Couture vs. Gonzaga. All were huge HW fights and coincidentally all were also very good fights to watch. (IMO)

As far as biggest HW showdown in MMA goes I'm going to have to say it was Crocop vs. Fedor

I would like to see a Barnett/ Couture rematch but I doubt that will happen. Hearing/ Nog was good as Heath almost finally beat him.

In MMA, I would have to say Fedor/Nog 1. No one expected the outcome.
imanidiot777
11/9/08 11:13:21PM

Posted by Pitbull09

Posted by EvenFlow

Brock def shouldnt have a title shot though. It makes me mad how he gets a shot before Mir when Mir beat him in his last fight.

Brock is not getting a shot before Mir, Mir is getting a shot at the same time and it is still considered a title fight. Since Randy came back they needed another person for this little 4 man tournament and Mir/Nog were already tied up. The only other person could have been Werdum who was scheduled already and he lost anyways. Herring just lost to Lesnar so they couldn't use him, Gonzaga is coming off a so-so win after two losses.

I vote that it has potential simply because fights always turn out different than we think, and if this turns out to be a crazy five round war who knows. I will never rule out a fight and say it has no chance of being amazing.
mentalcase
11/9/08 11:17:57PM

Posted by Pitbull09

Posted by EvenFlow

in case u haven’t noticed yet the ufc hw title system is a complete joke and should not be taken seriously, for eg: couture has given 14 title fights in the ufc won 9 lost 5 shitI wonder why hes so decorated- hes a top fighter but so are a lot of these guys in the ufc

Most top fighters in the ufc would have as many titles as randy if nearly every fight the had was for a title.

That said they have nog as the champ so that makes sense and he will be champ after the tournament, im a mir fan too so ill still be happy if he wins

and also on couture he left ufc and made a fuss for more money but he says its about fedor respect and that sort of crap, signing to fight brock is proof-look i dont care if ur greedy just dont say its about honor and respect
EvenFlow
11/9/08 11:19:29PM

Posted by Pitbull09

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by Pitbull09

Posted by EvenFlow

IF the UFC let him off his contact, Fedor/Couture would have happened by now. It didnt though and now Couture came back when Nog was busy for TUF. They already said the winners from both fights will fight for the Undisputed tile so saying he is ducking both of those fighters is a joke.

IF Randy beats Brock, Randy retires.
Pitbull09
11/9/08 11:20:51PM

Posted by imanidiot777

Posted by Pitbull09

Posted by EvenFlow

Brock is not getting a shot before Mir, Mir is getting a shot at the same time and it is still considered a title fight. Since Randy came back they needed another person for this little 4 man tournament and Mir/Nog were already tied up. The only other person could have been Werdum who was scheduled already and he lost anyways. Herring just lost to Lesnar so they couldn't use him, Gonzaga is coming off a so-so win after two losses.

I vote that it has potential simply because fights always turn out different than we think, and if this turns out to be a crazy five round war who knows. I will never rule out a fight and say it has no chance of being amazing.

Interim is different from the regular title belt. Even though both guys got the belt from beating Sylvia, Interim is always considered the #1 contender that is guarenteed a title shot. GSP didnt even want the Interim title when he beat Hughes cause it really doesnt say anything but I am the #1 contender.

I think Werdum shouldve been stepped up to the title fight but it did help Dos Santos make a big impact into the division early. What I dont understand is what will Santos do if Nog is champ when he is a contender?
Pitbull09
11/9/08 11:28:08PM

Posted by mentalcase

Posted by Pitbull09

Posted by EvenFlow

in case u haven’t noticed yet the ufc hw title system is a complete joke and should not be taken seriously, for eg: couture has given 14 title fights in the ufc won 9 lost 5 shitI wonder why hes so decorated- hes a top fighter but so are a lot of these guys in the ufc

Most top fighters in the ufc would have as many titles as randy if nearly every fight the had was for a title.

That said they have nog as the champ so that makes sense and he will be champ after the tournament, im a mir fan too so ill still be happy if he wins

and also on couture he left ufc and made a fuss for more money but he says its about fedor respect and that sort of crap, signing to fight brock is proof-look i dont care if ur greedy just do say its about honor and respect

THe system is messed up, I dont understand how the UFC acts like 3 time or 5 time champs are so amazing since they had to lose their title so many times to achieve that. Consistent guys like Silva and Hughes are the really all-time champs in my eyes

If Couture didnt come back, the UFC wouldve held him to his contract forever meaning he never fights again. AA got screwed over for almost a year because he wanted to leave but he had one fight left. The UFC didnt want to give him a good fighter cause if AA won then their contender would be gone but didnt want to give a crappy guy or he wouldve destroyed him and make it seem like the UFC lost one of their best HWs.
In the end, the contract held him up and he took the best route given to him. Hopefully after Fedor fights AA and Barnett, he will go to the UFC but who knows.
ThaAxeMurderer7
11/9/08 11:31:50PM

Posted by Pitbull09

Tickets for the fight did sell out almost immediately so there is no doubt its important.

I understand what you are saying but, if I remember correctly, Wandy vs. Rampage was rumored to be on that card as well. You add that fight to this card along with Kenny vs. Joe and it is going to sell.
MALICE
11/9/08 11:48:38PM
All I have to say is there is a very good chance this event will break the UFC's PPV sales records.
mentalcase
11/10/08 12:03:47AM

Posted by xxMALICExx

All I have to say is there is a very good chance this event will break the UFC's PPV sales records.

yeah probly will- but u will be able to say that about every ufc event for years to come, cause ufc and mma are explodeing right now growing in popularity with every event

dont u notice for nerly every ufc main event they say "the biggest fight in ufc history" yeah what ever,- as long as the fights are good ill watch it

sick of this hype and advertising i try to avoid these stupid and repetitive ads so i dont go crazy

loller90278
11/10/08 12:53:54AM
i think not!

and to whoever disagrees with me

Khaos
11/10/08 1:19:39AM
Barnett vs Gan McGee because it was a Superheavyweight fight.(UFC 28.)
haggiswashere
11/10/08 5:32:59AM
i think it is just a way to try and draw new viewers. put a guy they all know. (lesnar) vs a legend and say it is the biggest fight and tada! you have a bunch of WWE fans tuning in to see it. its a promotion thing. Most mma fans realize its not the biggest.
grappler0000
11/10/08 6:52:33AM

Posted by mentalcase

Posted by xxMALICExx

yeah probly will- but u will be able to say that about every ufc event for years to come, cause ufc and mma are explodeing right now growing in popularity with every event

MMA is growing, but every event doesn't break a new record. The biggest PPV to date is Chuck/Tito II, which is going on 2 years old. While the average numbers did improve drastically a couple of years back, there are many more events now vs then, which does water down each events numbers to certain extent. If you consider that the average PPV does 400-500k buys, It would take another huge matchup to break a potential 1.2 million following this weekend's event.
fullerene
11/10/08 9:22:49AM
It will probably be the most marketable HW fight in UFC history.

It certainly doesn't match the established records of fights like Fedor vs. Nogueira or Fedor vs. CroCop from Pride or even Coleman vs. Maurice Smith--where you had two guys who had both proven to be championship level fighters. This one feels more like Nog-Sapp than any of those.
prozacnation1978
11/10/08 9:24:05AM
biggest fight would be fedor vs randy

i think biggest fight in ufc history under vertitas was slyvia vs arlovski the rubber match
Ordep
11/10/08 11:01:10AM
Not it is not....

The biggest would be...

Andy Wang vs Blake Bowman

Yes, I will be calling that fight until Joe Silva accomplish our (MMA fans) dream. I would pay a plane ticket to the South Pole and Floor Area tickets just for that one.
MALICE
11/10/08 11:05:18AM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by mentalcase

Posted by xxMALICExx

MMA is growing, but every event doesn't break a new record. The biggest PPV to date is Chuck/Tito II, which is going on 2 years old. While the average numbers did improve drastically a couple of years back, there are many more events now vs then, which does water down each events numbers to certain extent. If you consider that the average PPV does 400-500k buys, It would take another huge matchup to break a potential 1.2 million following this weekend's event.

Thanks. That was my point. Of course they are going to market every event as the biggest event ever. What are they suppose to say. It's not as big as Liddell vs Tito, but it's pretty good, so buy it.

It won't be the biggest HW fight in UFC history to die hard fans like you will find on this site. But to the casual fan, it just may be. The casual fans still love Randy. The majority of them know Lesnar and want to see him. So it just may the biggest UFC event ever for the casual fan. The proof will be in the ppv sales.

I just read an article saying that ticket sales were down from what they expected. Probably due to the bad economy. This could affect the ppv sales as well.

Die-hard fans - No
Casual fan - Yes
Kracker_Jap
11/10/08 11:39:47AM
I consider my self a Die hard fan, and well, I'm very excited about this fight the only other fight this year I was more excited by was Chuck vs Wandy.....

I don't think this is the biggest HW fight in history, but do think it is a important crossroad for the division, either it goes the way of the old or the way of the new....

and In my opinion the winner of this next fight wins the HW tourney they have going on
copcopps
11/10/08 12:07:39PM
I smell a King, a Burger King if ya know what I'm saying
gsquat
11/10/08 12:35:08PM
Its certainly one of the biggest. I'm not sure it'll top Liddell/Ortiz 2. The outcome is more in doubt than any big fight we've had in a long time. If Brock does win it and fights Nog later, it'll be interesting to see what his gameplan is.
Nitrus
11/10/08 12:52:25PM
If couture win the belt (win onver Lesnar and Mir/Nogueira) the biggest fight would be he against Fedor.

I'd say Nogueira x Fedor would be the biggest one, but it already happened, and if Couture prove that he's better than Nogueira, then the biggest fight is Couture x Fedor.

If Couture didn't win this, the biggest fight already happen, Fedor x Nogueira.
mrsmiley
11/10/08 2:53:26PM
It might be one of the highest grossing bouts for the HW division,but that doesn't mean it is automaticly the greatest or anything.
I mean Ricky Martin sold a lot of CDS,but that doesn't mean he was a great artist,singer or entertainer.
Right?

I mean lets face it.As excited as I am for this fight,I'm not above admitting this is america's version of a freakshow fight.I use that term very loosley though,so nothing I mean literaly.
dannyfrank
11/10/08 3:52:57PM
if you mean"biggest HW fight" as in ticket sales, then it may possibly be the biggest. but if you mean "biggest HW fight" as in the fight itself, then i dont think it will be. dont get me wrong though, i think this fight will turn out to be awesome, just not the best
Pages: [1] 2